IGNORED

Just read very disturbing news... Nike re-signs Michael Vick

Alohaed
Note: This thread is 4618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's a very famous saying in business, "You don't have to like someone to do business with them."

Originally Posted by Callahan14

I would have to say NIKE like Vick or there would be no deal.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not to hijack the thread, but wasn't the Stallworth case the one where there was a video that showed the kid he killed literally jumped from the side of the road right in front of Stallworth's car?  You can argue that penalties for first time DUI offense should be worse, but from the reporting I heard on the case it was pretty obvious that he would have killed the kid even if he'd never had a drink in his life.  Doesn't really seem like justice to give the guy years in jail when the thing he did that was actually his fault is something others generally get a big fine, community service, and a license suspension for.

I believe it was a middle-aged or elderly guy who was killed, and that Stallworth's light sentence was partially due to the victim also being at fault (not in crosswalk). My intent was to put what Vick did in perspective, although I could've phrased it a little better.

I'm actually glad Vick  got a second chance.. I was one of those that didn't ever think he'd pull it all back together but now that he has I couldn't be happier for him. What he did was wrong but he did his time and I'm thrilled at the success he's having. He's proven all the critics wrong on and off the field.. And I don't mean just sports fans, but animal lovers and all. He's taken all the right steps and made all the right moves since he got out of prison.

On a side note.. I was even more thrilled at the ridiculous fantasy numbers he was putting up for me last year!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

There's a very famous saying in business, "You don't have to like someone to do business with them."

Very very true,

But in this case I dont see that saying taking place. Of course this is ALL speculation whether NIKE likes VICK or not.

It makes perfect sense. They had a previous relationship with Vick. Vick is a superstar. His jersey's were the 6th best selling in the entire NFL last year. And Nike is taking over NFL uniforms in 2012.  Good for Vick.

Originally Posted by shades9323

It makes perfect sense. They had a previous relationship with Vick. Vick is a superstar. His jersey's were the 6th best selling in the entire NFL last year. And Nike is taking over NFL uniforms in 2012.  Good for Vick.

Didnt Vick also have the #1 selling shoe for Nike a few years back?

OP apparently doesn't see the difference between what Vick did and putting a M80 under a dogs paw for the fun of it.      In some circles, what Vick was involved with represents more of a gambling activity & the animals were the means to an end, nothing more.     Not justifying that activity at all, but stating it wasn't an intentionally torturous endeavor as the OP makes it out to be ... furthermore,  he served his time & paid for it.     Forgiveness is a virtue ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

This thread feels so redundent but I had to post anyway. *sticks 2cents in* I see the view point of the op however it's time to go okay Vick now you had your fun, you paid your  debt it's time to act like a big boy now. and as long as he doesn't over grow his bridges again I see no harm or foul by NIKE. and yes I will continue to by my NIKE shoe's, no one can sew stitches like those lil kids over in indonesia :-)

OP:  You do realize Vick was indicted, and sentenced, on a *conspiracy* charge, right?  Your post reads as if *VICK* was killing, fighting, and abusing dogs.  The two who actually did the killing and maiming were given immunity (yes, immunity) for testifying against Vick, who simply knew it was going on and let them use his property.

Is this the same thing?  I don't think so.  I think Vick got a raw deal.  If Vick wasn't a celebrity, he wouldn't have been charged, much less sweetheart deals given to those way more responsible just to "get" Vick.

Nike profits directly from obscene working conditions for children in other parts of the world.  To me, that is much worse than sponsoring Vick, who did little more than open is property up to a dogfighting ring.

Anyone who says two years in prison isn't enough for this charge has never been to prison.  Two years in prison is an eternity.

On the Stallworth case, it was on video, and he was drunk.  However, the law requires that the alcohol be a cause of the accident in order for it to be a crime i.e. if the accident would have happened anyway regardless of the drinking it isn't a crime.  It would have been an interesting trial.

To be fair, if Vick wasn't a celebrity he likely wouldn't have been bankrolling the operation.

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

OP:  You do realize Vick was indicted, and sentenced, on a *conspiracy* charge, right?  Your post reads as if *VICK* was killing, fighting, and abusing dogs.  The two who actually did the killing and maiming were given immunity (yes, immunity) for testifying against Vick, who simply knew it was going on and let them use his property.

Is this the same thing?  I don't think so.  I think Vick got a raw deal.  If Vick wasn't a celebrity, he wouldn't have been charged, much less sweetheart deals given to those way more responsible just to "get" Vick.

Nike profits directly from obscene working conditions for children in other parts of the world.  To me, that is much worse than sponsoring Vick, who did little more than open is property up to a dogfighting ring.

Anyone who says two years in prison isn't enough for this charge has never been to prison.  Two years in prison is an eternity.

On the Stallworth case, it was on video, and he was drunk.  However, the law requires that the alcohol be a cause of the accident in order for it to be a crime i.e. if the accident would have happened anyway regardless of the drinking it isn't a crime.  It would have been an interesting trial.

Is this THE John Clayton? THE Professor??

We gonna have a deal done by Friday??

Originally Posted by johnclayton1982

Kip

“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course--the distance between your ears.“ -Bobby Jones

TaylorMade R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* w/Aldila RIP 70-X TaylorMade V-Steel 15* w/MAS Ultralite 65-X Titleist AP2 3-P upright 0.5* w/ Project X 6.0 +1" TaylorMade Rac TP 52* 8* bounce Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 11* bounce, 60* 7* bounce Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5

• 2 weeks later...

well said... "it's time to put it in the past and let him move on with his career and life"

Listen, the guy made a bad mistake and paid for it.  There is nothing he can do to go back and change what he did years ago.  He's actually doing everything he can to help create awareness so it doesn't happen elsewhere.  No one, and we all know..no one is perfect.  There is no use in hating...especially someone that has changed their life to become a better person after a serious mistake.   I seriously dislike what he did in regards to animals in his past, but the guy has honestly turned it around.  What more can he do? listen to haters like this kook who started the thread and just give up on life now and crawl into a hole?  Kudos to Vick for finding God and doing his best to make things the best he can. Wish more people looked hard in the mirror and changed themselves like Mike.   Life is too short to hate people you have never, or will never even meet to determine what kind of person they really are.

Peace

As an Eagles fan, this thread made me lol. Overreact more about this, why don't you?

IN FACT, as a (late) result of Nike resigning Vick, tomorrow I will hit my Nike driver extra hard off the first tee (and probably duck-hook the shit out of it). If I had any Nike golf clothing, I would wear them too, but alas, I do not.

Also I know this reply is weeks late.

-Rich

Originally Posted by Grndslmhttr3

As an Eagles fan, this thread made me lol. Overreact more about this, why don't you?

IN FACT, as a (late) result of Nike resigning Vick, tomorrow I will hit my Nike driver extra hard off the first tee (and probably duck-hook the shit out of it). If I had any Nike golf clothing, I would wear them too, but alas, I do not.

Also I know this reply is weeks late.

I own several Nike shirts, I usually buy them in the tennis section at a sporting goods store. They make great golf shirts.

OP,

You can add Core Energy, Unique Technologies, MusclePharm, and Fuse Science to your ban list!

Done! :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4618 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!