IGNORED

Where do you feel "inflexible"?

Note: This thread is 4679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quick question for all the golfers who don't quite feel 100% mobile on the course...

Where do you feel "inflexible"?

As a golf-fitness professional, I am always trying to get feed-back from different golfers on what is bothering them the most. This way, I can design and develop the best possible exercise programs for you.

Today, as I asked earlier, I am curious to where most golfers feel tight and inflexible.  Is it your back, hips, neck, hamstrings, etc.???

Personally, my hips are sometimes tight at the beginning of a round, so I don't get full rotation.  A couple quick dynamic movements and I am all ready to go.

So thanks for the input! It will be incredibly valuable as I begin designing my flexibility program!

-Grant Pettegrew BS CSCS
golfconditioningnow.com

Would also have to say the hips are where I feel the least flexibility. You mentioned some dynamic movements to get yours ready to go. Care to share?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hamstrings all the way... If you want to improve your game immediately then stretch your hamstrings until you can stand flat footed and touch the floor.

i can never get the insane turn a pro gets, were they can get there hands high above there head. My hands are never that high, but i use alot of body torque to get distance. If i had to give a spot, its my hamstrings

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Weird to see that nobody has said 'back'.  My T-spine has been a major focal point the last couple of years.  A couple of manipulations/joint mobs followed by some strength and range of motion exercises has been extremely beneficial.

I would venture out and say that 90% of golfers are hypomobile in the T-spine.  Which leads to a decreased shoulder/hip turn and power production through the swing.

My back is bad. I can't move that thing much. That's what happens when you have a desk job eh

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I'd say shoulders - can't get the club back like I want to - my swing looks like about a 3/4 swing, but I have a hard enough time controlling that, so I'm not that worried.    Also, CAN NOT keep my left arm straight at the elbow during the backswing.    Can't do it - not flexible enough.    Wish I started playing 20 years ago - this 46 year old desk jockey body is taking a beating learning to play golf, but I'm loving it...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Hamstrings, hips, and upper back. Any help for these?

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

my neck, back, and knees. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (rheumatoid arthritis of the spine) and my spine is becoming very stiff. I do about 30 minutes of stretching every morning, and again in the evenings. Ian Woosnam has the same thing. Playing seems to help, but it takes a few holes before I can make a full turn, but my neck only has limited range. When I make a full swing, my head stays down, but the ball isnt in my view for a split second.

In my stand bag....

Driver: Titleist 910D2 9.5
3 wood: R9 TP
Irons: R9 TP

Wedges: xFT 52*, 56*, 60* Putter: Circa '62 #3

Ball: Penta TP #13

Originally Posted by Kieran123

My back is bad. I can't move that thing much. That's what happens when you have a desk job eh

Same for me, and to make matters worse, this winter I installed 1000 sq ft of hardwood floors in my house.  That is a lot of time on my hands and knees and bent over.  If I can play 2 ro 3 times a week my back will loosen up and I can get a better turn, but if I don't get out for a week or more I seem to lose ground.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

For sure my hamstrings.  It's sad, but I can't come close to touching my toes.  Also, my shoulders on the turn.  They seem tight

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Posterior lower extremity is all extremely tight (gastroc/soleus, hamstrings, glutes, hip ext. rotators) which is not currently doing wonders for my low back. I know that I should stretch, but almost being a certified athletic trainer, I find it is easier to help somebody else fix their pains than it is to fix your own pains.

Follow through and finish.  I've had to work at it otherwise my mind decels so I don't hit my range of motion too quickly.  I've basically spent way too much time working on my backswing.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I would second the shoulders and more specifically the arms.  I get past 90 degrees with my shoulder turn, but my left arm won't go very high.  It is as if the scapula and shoulder muscles are tight.  I stretch a lot and have been following a program.  My lower back and hips have gotten more flexible, but my shoulders haven't.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by chaptowngolfteam

Posterior lower extremity is all extremely tight (gastroc/soleus, hamstrings, glutes, hip ext. rotators) which is not currently doing wonders for my low back. I know that I should stretch, but almost being a certified athletic trainer, I find it is easier to help somebody else fix their pains than it is to fix your own pains.

I'm in my senior year of AT as well. Try stretching the hip flexors as well, if those are tight it will cause your pelvis to rotate anteriorly putting more stress on the low back.

Yea, I know how to get rid of the pain, it is just getting myself to do it. It is kind of like asking an athlete to use the cold whirlpool because it will be beneficial for them, but you know that if you were in their shoes, there is a less than 1% chance that you would get into that whirlpool.

Note: This thread is 4679 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!