IGNORED

Hey Old Guys...

colin007
Note: This thread is 4684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

disclaimer - if you are an old guy and these things dont apply to you, then continue your good work.  if you are a young guy and you do these things, even worse...

... i played with 2 old guys the other day and one of them had a sack hanging from his cart just for keeping all the extra balls he found.  argh!!!

You exhibit the decision flaw of giving excessive emphasis to a single event. You had an unpleasant experience with golfers who happened to be older than you are, so now you're getting on all older golfers as guilty. Talk about stereotyping.

If you can find a cougar who is a counseling psychologist, she can explain all this to you between performances.

In the past week, I have seen teenage golfers who committed the following violations:

walked to the edge of the range, and began hitting range balls into the woods. An adult member told him to knock it off.

play music on his cart without headphones - noise pollution.

But, this is bad behavior by people who happened to be teenagers. The majority of teens I saw this week are a credit to the game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This sort of drivel is patently offensive, and is probably meant to be so, and thereby catorgorizing the OP as a "troll". I have seen all sorts of horrendous goofs and pathetic offenses of common ettiquete by "kids". Hey, if you are a "kid" and don't do that stuff, please don't take offense, but an awful lot of your peers need a lesson or two in decorum. Hey, no offense.

Originally Posted by lville lefty

One more rule or truism to add if I may;

If your ball retriever is in need of a new grip you are definitely an idiot.

Hahaha................................niiice!!!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Hahaha................................niiice!!!!

HAHA! Yeah! And if you kids are playing death metal through your ear buds while you're holding up everybody else, you probably need to sober up and focus on the sport. You'd probably play better. I hate it when young people are blasting metal crap all over the course and messing up everybody else.

I'll agree that the actions listed by the OP are annoying but they are most definitely not exclusive to senior golfers... I've seen plenty of younger golfers (I played with two today, probably in their 40s) who didn't hit the ball far and did not repair their ball marks; one of them also did use their putter head on one hole to get their ball out.  I do see a lot of senior golfers with ball retrievers looking for balls, but again it's no where close to being just them; I've seen many younger golfers with ball retrievers looking for balls when their's isn't even lost.  With this, I think that it's has a lot to do with people on a fixed budget (like retired people, but also a lot of young golfers paying off debt) trying to save every penny they can.

To the OP, if you want to complain about actions on the course that annoy you then that's cool by me, but to single out an entire class of golfers isn't.  Not all senior golfers (or even the majority) are like this and more than likely just as many younger golfers are.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

I agree...lots of people do this, not just older guys. Also another thing that pisses me off...

I was playing a round the other day and sliced a drive in the right rough, almost on the other fairway. There was a 2-some of guys playing that hole next to mine. We drove over to my uncle's ball on the left of our fairway, so I had to wait before going over to my ball.

As I'm sitting in the cart, one of the guys playing the other hole next to ours, goes over to my ball (I could just barely see it), and keeps looking at the ball and then back at his buddy like he didn't know whether or not to play it. I didn't say anything because I thought he would see that it was not his and leave it.

Then I look away for a second, look back, and he's setting up over the ball..and you guessed it...he played it...hit it towards the green on the hole he was playing. I was like "WTF?". I had a ton of balls in my bag and before I could catch up to him he was leaving his green and going to the next hole, so I didn't chase him down for it. but he was an idiot. Unless he was playing the same ball as me (Nike 4 power+distance), then I don't know why he played it.

And he was a younger guy...in his late 20s or early 30s.

I was playing Nike 4 PD's today... I came up with an extra, though...

And none of these rules apply to the young or old specifically. It's just stupid to think that they do.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

I wonder who is worse overall old people or young people... also... at what point do you go from being young to old... or middle aged?

In my experience, true young golfers are some of the most polite people on the course. I don't know many younger golfers who actually play the game and take it seriously as another young person would a different sport that are rude, loud, obnoxious, etc. There is another type of young golfer who doesn't play very much and only does play to screw off with buddies and, when old enough, you can add in drinking. That person is certainly obnoxious.

I also think that the typical older golfer is one who didn't pick up the game until they were older, and when they were young, would have been that rude, loud, obnoxious golfer (and sometimes still are).

I've rarely been irritated with a young guys pace of play, but have been with older people many times (though not every time or even the majority of the time).

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

I wonder who is worse overall old people or young people... also... at what point do you go from being young to old... or middle aged?

In my experience, true young golfers are some of the most polite people on the course. I don't know many younger golfers who actually play the game and take it seriously as another young person would a different sport that are rude, loud, obnoxious, etc. There is another type of young golfer who doesn't play very much and only does play to screw off with buddies and, when old enough, you can add in drinking. That person is certainly obnoxious.

I also think that the typical older golfer is one who didn't pick up the game until they were older, and when they were young, would have been that rude, loud, obnoxious golfer (and sometimes still are).

I've rarely been irritated with a young guys pace of play, but have been with older people many times (though not every time or even the majority of the time).

I think the point that many, including myself, are trying to make is that you can't say overall young people or old people or worse.  It's unfair to lump people into categories like that.  There are golfers with good etiquette and gofers with bad etiquette, and both young and old fall into these categories with no correlation to their age.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

#1) I completely agree with #1-though it's clearly not limited to old guys.  Based on the number of un-repaired ball marks I find on every single green I play, from the cheapest muni to a nice resort course I'm convinced most golfers are a**hats.  Or the golfer responsible for teaching his friends or kids or family is a jerk for letting it slide.  It can even be done with a putter if you're too stupid to carry a repair tool or to bend over and use a tee.  Anyway-I fix at least 2 marks per green, more if I'm standing around waiting.

#2) That's my dad.  It's annoying to me too, but he tees off at or just before dawn, so he's never holding anybody up.  Still annoying.

#3) Luckily I don't see this too much.

Originally Posted by colin007

disclaimer - if you are an old guy and these things dont apply to you, then continue your good work.  if you are a young guy and you do these things, even worse...

1) i know you dont hit it as far as you used to, but believe it or not, you still leave a ball mark on the green when you plop it on from 100 yards.  fix your damn ball mark!!  (BTW, this applies to everyone. if you dont fix your ball mark, you are a douche.)

2) the purpose of playing golf is not to finish the round with more balls than you started with.  put away your Ball-O-Matic 3000 ball retriever, stop ball-hunting, you didnt hit your ball in the water so why are you walking next to the pond scouring for balls?  i played with 2 old guys the other day and one of them had a sack hanging from his cart just for keeping all the extra balls he found.  argh!!!

3) DO NOT EVER take your ball out of the cup by sticking the head of your putter in the cup and digging it out.  are you freaking kidding me?  cant you see what youre doing to the lip of the cup??  GTFO...

To the OP, I played in a scramble a few weeks ago that turned into a drunken debacle. People throwing beer cans on the course, riding around shirtless & yelling at people who lived along the course. Hell, there was even a brawl on the fairway and the cops had to be called. All of the guys I saw engaged in these activities was under the age of 30. What doe that mean?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

This post makes a good case for a thumbs down button.

Originally Posted by colin007

1) i know you dont hit it as far as you used to, but believe it or not, you still leave a ball mark on the green when you plop it on from 100 yards.  fix your damn ball mark!!  (BTW, this applies to everyone. if you dont fix your ball mark, you are a douche.)

2) the purpose of playing golf is not to finish the round with more balls than you started with.  put away your Ball-O-Matic 3000 ball retriever, stop ball-hunting, you didnt hit your ball in the water so why are you walking next to the pond scouring for balls?  i played with 2 old guys the other day and one of them had a sack hanging from his cart just for keeping all the extra balls he found.  argh!!!

3) DO NOT EVER take your ball out of the cup by sticking the head of your putter in the cup and digging it out.  are you freaking kidding me?  cant you see what youre doing to the lip of the cup??  GTFO...

Originally Posted by cdriver

4. If you think you hit it OB, play a provisional. Coming back to the tee makes you look like an idiot.

As a relative beginner, I have to ask.     A couple times a round, I do hit it out of bounds & just re-tee it.     I only give my self one more chance, if I hit the second one in the woods, I'm done with that hole.      What is the "rulebook" way to handle this situation & can you please define a "provisional" with respect to a lost ball.      Thanks & I'll try not to look like an idiot any more

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

2. If you hit your drive 180, do not wait for the green to clear except on par 3's, waiting makes you look like an idiot.
For the most part I am a pretty patience person, at least with other people get pretty frustrated with myself but thats a different story. But this drives me insane. Its a par 5 you hit your drive 200 yards your not going to hit 3 wood 300 yards hit the damn ball. I cant even tell you how angry this gets me and it really should not but if i see this i have to go like walk around or have a full conversation bc it is absolutely brutal.

As far as ball marks go,I always fix mine and one more it there is one near mine.If we will all do that,it will make a difference.I work part time at a course and marshall.To me the biggest thing for speed of play is to play ready golf,most of you know what that means,if you have to take a practice swing,take one and only one and hit the damn ball.If everyone in a foursome will get to their ball and hit immediately when it's their turn speed of play would be helped greatly.

Originally Posted by skates

2. If you hit your drive 180, do not wait for the green to clear except on par 3's, waiting makes you look like an idiot.

For the most part I am a pretty patience person, at least with other people get pretty frustrated with myself but thats a different story. But this drives me insane. Its a par 5 you hit your drive 200 yards your not going to hit 3 wood 300 yards hit the damn ball. I cant even tell you how angry this gets me and it really should not but if i see this i have to go like walk around or have a full conversation bc it is absolutely brutal.

If my group is playing along at a good pace and some misfit named Speed Racer is giving us the evil eye for slowing him down, it makes me go crazy. I have to stop myself from taking their ball, which almost beaned one of us, and shoving it where it isn't very sunny. You want to play speed golf? Show up at 0-dark thirty. The rest of us pay the same amount that you do. Ive found that most golfers are the pinnacle of classy behavior. But there are a few that deserve forced labor retrieving lost balls in a guano pond.

Hitting balls at you isn't cool.  But if there's just a guy behind you going fast and you're not waiting on anyone then let him through.  What's your problem?

Originally Posted by JCoop

If my group is playing along at a good pace and some misfit named Speed Racer is giving us the evil eye for slowing him down, it makes me go crazy. I have to stop myself from taking their ball, which almost beaned one of us, and shoving it where it isn't very sunny. You want to play speed golf? Show up at 0-dark thirty. The rest of us pay the same amount that you do. Ive found that most golfers are the pinnacle of classy behavior. But there are a few that deserve forced labor retrieving lost balls in a guano pond.

Note: This thread is 4684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!