IGNORED

Tiger and Williams to part ways?

Sing Golfer
Note: This thread is 4651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To the guy who has twice now commented that Tiger has never disrespected another player, I'd like to remind everyone how Tiger disrespected the entire field of golfers a number of years ago when he won one particular tournament, and proclaimed afterward that he didn't have his A game that week. I'd call that disrespecting everybody in one sentence.

Originally Posted by sonicblue

I think Williams is really showing a lack of class, and ignorance about how the world works.  He's taking this personally, which is a childish reaction.  Tiger needs the change, Stevie's fallen into a good gig, it's a very practical direction for the whole thing to take.  His repeated jabs at Tiger are getting old.  I highly doubt Tiger said, "Stevie you suck, it's your fault I can't get back to form, go pound sand."  Even if he did, Stevie should be taking a higher road, simply say, "the time was right to move on, I look forward to continue working with Adam and helping him win as best I can."  Close the book on this thing.

And how about maybe expressing a scintilla of gratitude toward the guy who made him millions of dollars and made him a household name in the golf world?  For all the flack that Tiger takes, he has been waaaaay classier than Steve has been over this whole thing.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To the guy who has twice now commented that Tiger has never disrespected another player, I'd like to remind everyone how Tiger disrespected the entire field of golfers a number of years ago when he won one particular tournament, and proclaimed afterward that he didn't have his A game that week. I'd call that disrespecting everybody in one sentence.

Why? It was probably true. Tiger has won a lot of tournaments with his B and C game.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

You can call someone fat and ugly, which might be true, but you're still disrespecting them. The point is, to actually announce to reporters you just whipped the entire field with something less than your A game, while probably true, is still disrespecting the entire field by pointing that out. I make this point just to counter the idea that Tiger has never disrespected another player, because he has.

I disagree, I've seen baseball pitchers who won games and state in their post game interview they struggled and didn't have their best stuff.  Tiger was being honest, and could have meant he was forced into more ups and downs than he'd like or more shots out of bunkers and rough.  I don't see honesty as disrespect - world's too politically correct in my opinion, it's not his job to make other golfers feel better about losing, they are adults.

Originally Posted by thinblueline

You can call someone fat and ugly, which might be true, but you're still disrespecting them. The point is, to actually announce to reporters you just whipped the entire field with something less than your A game, while probably true, is still disrespecting the entire field by pointing that out. I make this point just to counter the idea that Tiger has never disrespected another player, because he has.

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

I agree with this.  People are friggin babies nowadays about everything. Everyone has their own level of what is considered their "A" game, and while I agree to a point you can be "humble" in your victory post conference interviews, I don't think saying "Thanks Bob, there were some issues I recognized today as problems and I didn't have it all, but I was able to get a W with what I brought to the course today", that isn't disrespectful.  He doesn't come out and say "Wow, I sucked today, but damn it it was better then all these losers who don't have a 1/10th of the ability I do in my pinky" Tiger is hard on himself and he expects perfection of himself, and often times that gets read the wrong way from the media as he is a sore loser, or a sore winner, or whatever.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I disagree, I've seen baseball pitchers who won games and state in their post game interview they struggled and didn't have their best stuff.  Tiger was being honest, and could have meant he was forced into more ups and downs than he'd like or more shots out of bunkers and rough.  I don't see honesty as disrespect - world's too politically correct in my opinion, it's not his job to make other golfers feel better about losing, they are adults.

He's apologized, as least a bit: http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Steve-Williams-admits-he-was-wrong-Rory-McIlroy?urn=golf-wp4565

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

.............................It's nice to know Rory agrees (Strange headline)

Originally Posted by jamo

He's apologized, as least a bit: http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Steve-Williams-admits-he-was-wrong-Rory-McIlroy?urn=golf-wp4565

I'm admittedly never been a big fan of Williams though I do and always have liked Tiger as a golfer.  Williams seemed to be a glory hound to me, it didn't come off as obvious as it did this week with Scott because Tiger was larger than life and no one really cared about what Williams had to say.

That said, I can understand where Williams is coming from, he's human.  He's hurt and embarrassed that he got fired and since he worked for celebrity athlete the entire world knew about it.  Most caddies when they get let go barely get a mention in golf websites but Williams firing made headlines in mainstream papers and on television news.  He also became for sports analysts and internet blogs.  He was emotional and angry and let his mouth run without his brain keeping him in check.  He realized he messed up and recanted....we all make mistakes, hopefully he's learned from his.

Joe Paradiso

to comment this thing about Tigers A game,

I think we never saw his a game, he never was and still isn't good with the driver.

so he hits to many rough and bunkers. Look at his signature shots on youtube

never a fairway shot. so if he hits more fairways he will play even better.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

.............................It's nice to know Rory agrees (Strange headline)

I thought that was weird too. Is Rory going out of his way to comment on every issue, or do writers feel a need to include a piece from his press conference in every article?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

They even have the quote inside in the report and he said nothing interesting about it. Many other players made a comment about it too. It's a strange one

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

I thought that was weird too. Is Rory going out of his way to comment on every issue, or do writers feel a need to include a piece from his press conference in every article?

Note: This thread is 4651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!