IGNORED

Where do you waste the most shots?

Jeepthrills
Note: This thread is 5772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Where do you waste the most shots?

• Driver
    • Long approach/Fairway woods 180+
    • Middle Distances 130-175
    • Short Irons 90-125
    • Pitching <90
    • Chipping
    • Putting
    • Mental/Course Management

From the tee to the hole.

If I had to pick one, though, it would be using any wedge. For the life of me I can't hit with one. I did hole a fluke 20 yarder, but that was definitely luck. I need to take lessons.

Apex 1 Persimmon
R580 XD 10.5°
3DX 3-9,PW,SW
Louisville Golf: Niblick 4
Putter

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most of my problems right now are coming from penalties.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

I'm VERY new (2 mos) - but I'm a decent putter, pretty good around the green with pitching and chipping...and I can get a decent, but short, shot off the tee with a 3W (my driver and me don't get along yet). I can only drive about 170-190 with my 3W so that leaves me a lot of long second shots and I am very inconsistent with that.

When I hit it solid with a 3W or 3H, it comes out pretty good. But more times than not, I'll slice it and just ruin it.

3 days ago, I hit a 118 and was feeling pretty good - had my first par. Then I go out yesterday and play so bad I stop keeping score. I hit a nice drive off the tee to about 190yds with a good look off the fairway to the flag. I line up with my 3H and put it in the rough on the adjacent hole. So I pull out my 7I and chunk it for 20 yds...so I line up again and slice it up to about 100yds right of the hole. Then I pitch it on with ease over a bunker and a 1 put. So the drive, wedge, and putt were right on. But I just can't get my second shot to go where I want - and if it's in the rough - forget it.

Still new - so I'm learning...and trying to get experience. But wow - this game is tough.

Right now, I waste all of my shots when I pull out a wedge. Those are supposed to be scoring irons and you should be pretty accurate with them, but that is where I am struggling the most.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can make them any better, I will give you all the background and information that you could ever want to give me an honest opinion. Actually, I might start a new thread to get some suggestions.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

A great thread topic b/c, really, this is what it comes down to. Just about none of us are holing out wedges, or dropping 40-foot putts, or obliterating holes with 320-yd tee shots. Thus, it really is about where we LOSE shots, not where we "find" them.

For me, it's gotta be my tee game. Although I have really been able to tone myself down from "just swinging" at it, and have used my planning to avoid hazards/penalties, I just do not find fairways, for the most part. I am far too frequently recovering or just generally in spots where, at my level, it's just not likely I'm going to get it very close or on the green.

A close second is my irons. The times I am in a fairway, even with a dead look, I'm missing too many greens. My greenside game is very good, and I can get up and down a lot, but I need to get a "birdie" game. When I'm in a fairway and have a scoring club in my hand, I have to get a good birdie putt out of it, but I'm not.

clemson: try to take the "swing" out of your wedge. Focus on only two things: 1) Keeping the clubface aligned to your target, and keep your hands as quiet as possible, so that doesn't change much. 2) Hitting the ball first. Too often, wedge shots go wrong b/c they take too much grass. Feel good tension/control in your hands and maintain it through the swing, releasing only when you're RIGHT at impact. If you're worried about distance, take more club. Overswinging a wedge is a death move for us amateurs.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

distance control with wedges 90 yrds on in. Pitching has improved this year, but tough to practice at the courses I play....they don't have that type of facility...so I get my practice while playing...

"Golf's a hard game to figure. One day you'll go out and slice it and shank it, hit into all the traps and miss every green. The next day you go out and , for no reason at all, you really stink." -- Bob Hope

Driver:TM 09 Burner
3 & 5 Wood: Callaway BB War Bird
Irons: TM R7 3-PWWedges:Maxfli...

Chipping within 10 yards from the green. Later in the round I get tired and my decision making sometimes suffers.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

its usually pitching for me, i haven't spent the time on the range figuring out what to hit from 60-90 yards. i usually lay up on par fives to a distance that is a full wedge.

but as of late, its been the driver. i guess when i was sleeping my swing was at the bar, because i lost it.

in my tourny last week, i lost two balls off the first tee and made 9. llost 3 more the same round

gotta fix that swing, range time tomorrow

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I'd have to say most of my wasted shots, which happen to be quite a few during the round lol, are because of my drive. Often I'll slice the ball into trees or another fairway and have to play the rest of the hole behind obstacles which def doesn't help anything

Definitely the Drives, following by chipping, pitching and bunker shots (combined)

Weapons of choice:
Big Bertha 460 Driver
3W Big Bertha (2007)
TaylorMade r7 Draw Rescue Hybrid Wood #3TaylorMade RAC OS 2 IronsMens Vokey Spin Milled Tour 56 & 60PING Karsten Series Anser2 (I like the classic look and feel)Whatever Ball is on sale (currently Pro V1 2007)

Definetly getting on the green from about 50 yards. The other day i was playing on a dog leg par 4. I hit a big drive over the trees and had a 40 yard pitch in with tricky pin placement. I took out my 60 trying to stick it close and ended up chunking it. I then went on to make a nice bogey save from there but its so frustrating. I cant get the ball to stick from within 50 yards. I always seem to have to fight for pars where i should have good chances at birdie.

Driver. I play a course long enough I need to hit driver on quite a few holes. No adjacent fairways so I'm in the woods several times per round. Attempting to fix that now by shortening the shaft on my driver; I'll gladly give up some distance for accuracy.

The 20 to 40 yard shot. I don't have a good feel for distance with the partial swing.

Shorter putts 6 to 12 feet are still a pain for me. I would like to hole out more from that distance.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

Used to be putting until I sold my Red X and started using my no.1 Odyssey XG and went to a 34" length putter. Chipping lately

Taylormade R7
Taylormade R580 3,5,7 wood
Callaway X-18 irons
Cleveland 588 SW
Odyssey #1 XG Putter

Note: This thread is 5772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!