IGNORED

How do you win the debate about whether golf is a sport or not?

trackster
Note: This thread is 4661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Inebriated

You say that it's not worth debating with people who don't see it as a sport, and then turn around and begin a debate with someone who says it's not a sport. Irony may not have been the correct word... maybe contradictory? Not saying it to be a douche. Just saying it to say it.

Maybe I should have been more clear that I wasn't agreeing with the OP about the uselessness of debating this, although I admit that there is little to be gained by doing so.  I was simply answering his question in best way I could think of.  I still agree that the best chance anyone has of winning this argument is to not start it in the first place.  But I personally will still join in, not expecting to win, only to state my case.  I've found over the years on many golf forums that there are certain subjects where I simply end up tilting at windmills.  This is just one of many such topics.

Those who see golf as only a game have a very rigid and stilted concept of "sport", and no logic or reason is likely to penetrate their single mindedness.  Thus, I try not to actually argue with them, because it becomes too much like debating religion or politics - which is always a lose-lose scenario.  I simply state my side of the debate, then usually bow out unless I see an opportunity later to strengthen or further clarify my point.  Just because I see no chance to win this debate doesn't mean that it isn't still fun to chew on - better than just sticking my head in the sand.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This seems like a silly topic, although I have never heard anyone say that golf was not a sport, but then again if they did I don't think that I would really care either way...

I'd take them out to the range or course with me...and ask them to show ME how easy this 'game' is to play.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by MackJL06

if prince fielder can do it...it is not a sport. which means baseball too

That doesn't make sense he plays in the NL which means he also has to play the field.  I'm all in for Golf being a sport.  But don't hate on baseball.

I think the way I play golf it may not be a sport, more like a activity, but the way Phil and Tiger play, for sure a sport.  I would agree with everyone that has said don't even bother to get in the debate, obviously the person making the statement has never tried to play.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

first base? stretching != sport

Originally Posted by trackster

That doesn't make sense he plays in the NL which means he also has to play the field.  I'm all in for Golf being a sport.  But don't hate on baseball.

if prince fielder can do it...it is not a sport. which means baseball too

Prince Fielder's build is no different than that of Shaquille O'Neal...I guess basketball is not a sport either.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

first base? stretching != sport

Yea, all they do is stand on first base and stretch...nothing else.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

These people are usually the people that say competitive cheer leading is not a sport...

:whistle:

Not sure why people wouldn't consider golf a sport. Requires co-ordination, speed, power and skill. Just like any other sport.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

This!  Some people play golf as a sport, and others it as game or recreation.  The same can be true of most sports where there is high amatuer participation.

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

I think the way I play golf it may not be a sport, more like a activity, but the way Phil and Tiger play, for sure a sport.  I would agree with everyone that has said don't even bother to get in the debate, obviously the person making the statement has never tried to play.

Joe Paradiso

Not only is it a sport, I would say that it is harder than any other sport out their.

I would limit it to mass participation sports. I also might consider sports with very high risk, as harder.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I thought John Daly settled this a long time ago when he mentioned anything that you can do while smoking and drinking beer is NOT a sport?

That aside though, now that the Olympics put Golf in, then Golf is now a SPORT, and we are now ATHLETES! Take that, Gym Rats!

I invited them to walk 18 on a hot day (90degree+) and if that didn't work, i showed them a video of Tiger Woods bench-pressing 300 pounds. hahaha

Driver:  R9 SuperTri 10.5*

Fairway:  R7 3wood 13*

Hybrid:  Super Hybrid 17*

Irons: CG Reds

Wedges: Vr 52* 56* 

Putter: Studio Select Newport 2.5 midslant

Ball: e6

I can't convince myself it's a sport. If calories burned make it a sport then the athletes are the course maintenance crew.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

Note: This thread is 4661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!