IGNORED

Low Carb Diet

Yukari
Note: This thread is 3085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There it is. No diet works for everyone. The science around this is ever-evolving and will continue to do so. Experiment and find what works for u, paleo, atkins, intermediate fasting, heavy lifting no cardio, all cardio, limited strength, light weights lots of reps, steady-state running, intervals. There is no ONE right answer.

But I guess on a message board, it's kinda fun arguing what's worked for you.

With all that being said, I have a friend who went to a medically monitored weight loss program. They had him on 0 carb with on protein shakes for 6 weeks and then started incorporating smoothies for the next 4 weeks. He lost a ton of weight in a short period of time.

Ya but a lot of that was probably muscle as well. Someone who is 320 lbs is not concerned with loosing pure fat, they just want to be lighter. As @Gunther said above, it really depends on what your goal is. I personally don't want to look like some featherless chicken, so muscle development is important to me.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

Probably a lot of muscle weight too. I don't want to be some scrawny, unhealthy looking person.

He was at a size where it was critical to lose pounds of whatever. He was having BP and other issues, so it worked for him and he was able to get off his BP meds. Not sure he had a lot of muscle mass to lose though. This plan worked for him because of a sedentary lifestyle. I am a gym rat, but fail when it comes to stuffing my piehole, so that is where I need to focus my efforts.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably a lot of muscle weight too. I don't want to be some scrawny, unhealthy looking person.

Just to say it again, because it's fun.

First, you only need 50 grams a day of carbs to maintain muscle content. More so if you lift weights, about another 60-80 grams. Now if you eat enough protein you don't need that first 50 grams. This has be scientifically proven and studied.

Now, you obviously have success with your 300+ carbs a day thing. More power to you. Please don't say you will get scrawny, cause you wont.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz30x8CFKvA

Check out the image of the guy who runs that website. He's the guy who's written the best selling book, "The Primal Blueprint". He eats sub 100 grams of carbs a day, all of it from veggie sources. He is ripped. There are countless stories of body builders who are on primal type diets who see great gains. Given they do eat more carbs than the normal primal, but not nearly 300+ grams a day. They usually time the eating to just before and after working out so that it refuels the muscles.

So you can build muscle on low carb. You just got to be crafty about it. I'm not dissing high carbs here. I am just saying, lay off the low carb bashing, because it can work. It has for many people.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just to say it again, because it's fun.

First, you only need 50 grams a day of carbs to maintain muscle content. More so if you lift weights, about another 60-80 grams. Now if you eat enough protein you don't need that first 50 grams. This has be scientifically proven and studied.

Now, you obviously have success with your 300+ carbs a day thing. More power to you. Please don't say you will get scrawny, cause you wont.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz30x8CFKvA

Check out the image of the guy who runs that website. He's the guy who's written the best selling book, "The Primal Blueprint". He eats sub 100 grams of carbs a day, all of it from veggie sources. He is ripped. There are countless stories of body builders who are on primal type diets who see great gains. Given they do eat more carbs than the normal primal, but not nearly 300+ grams a day. They usually time the eating to just before and after working out so that it refuels the muscles.

So you can build muscle on low carb. You just got to be crafty about it. I'm not dissing high carbs here. I am just saying, lay off the low carb bashing, because it can work. It has for many people.

I disagree whole-hearted. I tried that for a year (19-20 yrs old) because I didn't want to "dirty bulk" and get fat. I gained about 10 lbs of muscle in 12 months 0% body fat increase. I decided to up my carbs, 40 lbs in 12 months while adding only 3% body fat.

Once again, food is fuel. Use the fuel for whatever it is that you do. If you just sit behind a computer all day in a cubicle, then ya, a low carb diet is where it's at. You working industrial construction like me (when I'm not in school), you're going to need that extra energy. High complex carb diet is a good thing.

I have found that diet and nutrition is much like politics, abortion, gun control, religion, and gay marriage. Everyone thinks they know everything. It's better to just stay out of it and do what works for you.

Dylan

I disagree whole-hearted. I tried that for a year (19-20 yrs old) because I didn't want to "dirty bulk" and get fat. I gained about 10 lbs of muscle in 12 months 0% body fat increase. I decided to up my carbs, 40 lbs in 12 months while adding only 3% body fat.

Once again, food is fuel. Use the fuel for whatever it is that you do. If you just sit behind a computer all day in a cubicle, then ya, a low carb diet is where it's at. You working industrial construction like me (when I'm not in school), you're going to need that extra energy. High complex carb diet is a good thing.

I have found that diet and nutrition is much like politics, abortion, gun control, religion, and gay marriage. Everyone thinks they know everything. It's better to just stay out of it and do what works for you.

Well yea, if you looked at the one website I posted. It wasn't just low carb advocated. It had a whole table of what carb level you can be at depending on your activity level. It even had marathon level running on there, which was really hard to figure out what the body actually burns. Yea if you are super active, then yea you probably need more carbs. Most people are not, even then most people can handle lower carb levels.

Cause all I know is, when ever I up my carbs above 100 grams a day, I do not loose weight well. When I keep my eating clean and fresh, and work out moderately during the week I can drop weight very fast, and gain muscle at a good clip. Though I am not a fan of big and bulky. So I could care less if I can bench 250 or not. I just want functional strength.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Well yea, if you looked at the one website I posted. It wasn't just low carb advocated. It had a whole table of what carb level you can be at depending on your activity level. It even had marathon level running on there, which was really hard to figure out what the body actually burns. Yea if you are super active, then yea you probably need more carbs. Most people are not, even then most people can handle lower carb levels.

Cause all I know is, when ever I up my carbs above 100 grams a day, I do not loose weight well. When I keep my eating clean and fresh, and work out moderately during the week I can drop weight very fast, and gain muscle at a good clip. Though I am not a fan of big and bulky. So I could care less if I can bench 250 or not. I just want functional strength.

And I can respect that. I'm not big and bulky haha. I'm 5'8 178 lbs 13% body fat with a 31.5" waist. Working in industrial/commercial construction and my ranch, strength is essential, so my strength is very practical. 100 carbs would indicate to me that your activity level is quite low. I'm eating 4.5 times that. You experimented with you carb level for weight loss, that's good. Have you experimented with carb level for weight gain (muscle, not fat)? You won't get fat eating good carbs, only carbs that break down as a sugar.

Dylan

Well yea, if you looked at the one website I posted. It wasn't just low carb advocated. It had a whole table of what carb level you can be at depending on your activity level. It even had marathon level running on there, which was really hard to figure out what the body actually burns. Yea if you are super active, then yea you probably need more carbs. Most people are not, even then most people can handle lower carb levels.  Cause all I know is, when ever I up my carbs above 100 grams a day, I do not loose weight well. When I keep my eating clean and fresh, and work out moderately during the week I can drop weight very fast, and gain muscle at a good clip. Though I am not a fan of big and bulky. So I could care less if I can bench 250 or not. I just want functional strength.

Thats a great plan and I'm much the same way. I work at a desk all day and make excuses to go up the stairs for some activity other than hitting the gym at lunch. I think it's safe that that the same plan doesn't work for everyone, but most people clearly have too high of a carb intake for their activity level.

- Shane

A great article on why "Everything you know about fat is wrong"

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/07/everything-you-know-about-fat-is-wrong.html

Quote:
“For 80% of people with cardiovascular disease, it’s a glycemic [sugar] issue. That’s been shown over and over again in the literature. Even back in 1999 with the DECODE study in The Lancet,” he says. “It’s the carbohydrate that’s the elephant in the room.”

On those who have had vegan diets, or a lot of veggies to combat heart disease, this also might point out that those diets are often times low carb as well,

Quote:
Dr. Ornish became famous in the 1990s for showing reversal of coronary artery disease using a very low-fat, near-vegetarian diet. Since then, other doctors, like Caldwell Esselstyn, MD, have used no-added-fat vegan diets even more effectively to reverse atherosclerotic plaque. It may seem difficult for the two approaches to live comfortably together.

But Dr. Patel doesn’t see it that way. “Those diets are also low-carbohydrate diets—it doesn’t really matter if you fill the background with plants or with fat. There’s more than one way to skin a cat,” Patel says. “But I like low-carb/[high-fat] because in my experience, I’ve found it easier for patients to stay compliant.”

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

it's 2014.  by now people should know that low carb isn't just a fad diet.  obviously some carbs you want to keep (vegetables).  eliminating grains and sugars and limiting starches is unquestionably healthier than what's become the traditional approach of low fat/low calorie diets.  not only will you lose weight, you'll also decrease inflammation, and improve performance (both physically and cognitively).  Try it for a month and notice the differences in how you look and feel.

Can only speak to what has worked for me ... At 58 I could care less about how I look muscle wise ... It more of survival at this stage ... I lost 30+ lbs and have maintain the loss over 18 months by staying away from processed food ... And exercising ... EVERY day ... It's my version of the Paleo system ... I never criticize anyone who makes an effort, whether I agree with their plan or not ... Having a plan and a goal is key ... So to all of those that excerise regularly and try to eat healthy ... You go! Especially to the 55 and over club! Finished a Spartan race this year and had blast! No way I could have done that 2 years ago at 56 ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

When I started my "diet" (more of a lifestyle change) last September I went more low carb. Like under 80 carbs a day. Last few months I've been doing more flexible dieting and still losing weight. I count my calories and macros. I make sure I hit my minimum protein and fat numbers and whatever is left I can use for carbs. This doesn't mean that I just start eating bread and candy, it just allows me to be more flexible with how I "spend" my carbs. I'm typically in the 140-150 range for carbs and do HIT and weight lifting, so for some that might still be "low" carb. I just find it to be more reasonable than Paleo (for me) and I have more energy when I golf/workout.

Definitely agree though that eating too much artificial sugary food is going to cause inflammation and lead to health issues.

More on what I do

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

When I started my "diet" (more of a lifestyle change) last September I went more low carb. Like under 80 carbs a day. Last few months I've been doing more flexible dieting and still losing weight. I count my calories and macros. I make sure I hit my minimum protein and fat numbers and whatever is left I can use for carbs. This doesn't mean that I just start eating bread and candy, it just allows me to be more flexible with how I "spend" my carbs. I'm typically in the 140-150 range for carbs and do HIT and weight lifting, so for some that might still be "low" carb. I just find it to be more reasonable than Paleo (for me) and I have more energy when I golf/workout.

Definitely agree though that eating too much artificial sugary food is going to cause inflammation and lead to health issues.

More on what I do

I like this approach, and you are more active than most people. I would say 140-150 grams is on the low end compared to what is advocated by many who follow a typical standard american diet.

If a person wants to lift A LOT, or run A LOT, then carbs do help in muscle retention and rehab, still sufficient protein should cover this.

On a side note, that video is EXACTLY the information from that website link I posted before. I would mention that 10-12 is for weight loss, 13-15 is more close to a maintenance (no weight loss) multiplier. For a male, probably 15, then just take 3-4 off the multiplier for weight loss. I like he does that by lb body weight. That way it adjust much better as you loose weight as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Haven't been around the forum for a while. About to move the family from South Africa to the UK and the logistics are keeping me on the hop. But the low carb diet (I aim for

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

More truth being spread @saevel25

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/features/9173310-171/after-years-of-study-high

Mike McLoughlin

More truth being spread @saevel25

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/features/9173310-171/after-years-of-study-high

Looks like bacon is back on the menu boys! I'm really hungry at the moment since I'm limiting myself to morning carbs and squeezed in some interval cardio at lunch, but it's nice to feel my belt loosing up a bit.

- Shane

More on what I do

Hey @mvmac deo to my friend and he thought this guy looked familiar to a guy we went to highschool with. So I check out facebook and well the guy in the video is Nick DiMauro, who was was my classmate during  highschool. Talk about a small world. :beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Hey @mvmac, I sent this video to my friend and he thought this guy looked familiar to a guy we went to highschool with. So I check out facebook and well the guy in the video is Nick DiMauro, who was was my classmate during  highschool. Talk about a small world.

That's hilarious. Do you remember him from high school? Here's a video where it shows some before pics when he weighed 315.

Mike McLoughlin

That's hilarious. Do you remember him from high school? Here's a video where it shows some before pics when he weighed 315.

I didn't think he weighted that much in highschool, I could be wrong, but he was in the upper 200's during that time. He started that change in lifestyle after highschool.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!