IGNORED

Disrespectful slow play..

Clubswinger21
Note: This thread is 6250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I am in a group that is lagging (i.e. we aren't keeping up with the comparable sized group ahead of us) behind, I let people know on the next tee box that we should play "ready golf" from the tee to the green. 98% of the people are cool with that and still enjoy the round, but that 2% feel obligated to take as many strokes as long as it takes...pricks on the course and probably off, too.

I've only had a handful of stern words with a group I joined up with and it was about letting someone play through. We were 1 1/2 holes behind the group ahead of us, but the 2 guys I joined up with didn't want the 2some through because "...they aren't going anywhere...the course is full." They didn't get it at all...

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

Play early and play often...that's what I say. The morons usually are still sleeping at this time.

I beg to differ. I've found public courses to be the most crowded at 7-8 AM. People think they're beating the crowd, but in reality, they

are the crowd. I prefer to tee off at about 11 or so after most of the crowd's already made the turn, and the front nine is wide open.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I beg to differ. I've found public courses to be the most crowded at 7-8 AM. People think they're beating the crowd, but in reality, they

There might be a crowd, but like I said, the morons are sleeping at that time.

The people that play from 7-8, at least at my course, are relatively serious and fast players. The first 5-6 groups can easily play in 4 hours. At most courses I've played the problem starts between 8-9. There seems to be a contingent of older and/or slower players that congest things. 11 AM isn't a great time here for that reason. I'd rather play at 7 AM or 3-4 PM. The dead time here in NC is from 1:30-3:00...in the summer it can get really hot.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

NCGolfer, I see the same thing. I was in the 4th group off at my course last week and we finished in just over 3.5 hours and we had trouble keeping up with the groups in front of us. Of course it didn't help that I was spraying tee shots. Not once did I feel rushed though. And I would prefer to go off early so that my day is not completely wasted. Being in NC as well, it just gets too hot in the summer to go out mid-day.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

There might be a crowd, but like I said, the morons are sleeping at that time.

Unhappily, I think I'd fall into that category of 'morons', since I spray my tee shots all over the place, and with carts on paths only, that means a lot of walking, and a lot more time taken up. If I say the guys in front are too slow, then they must be

really slow. I try to avoid the crowd because I'm liable to end up two fairways over with one tee shot, and then I'm on a safari to go fish out my golf ball from the other side of the course... Edit: In Kentucky, it doesn't usually get unbearably hot...the humidity however is another story. It can just as easily ruin your morning game.

2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Unhappily, I think I'd fall into that category of 'morons', since I spray my tee shots all over the place, and with carts on paths only, that means a lot of walking, and a lot more time taken up.

The 'morons' are morons because they don't know what they are doing and are not respectful of others. Since you understand, I wouldn't call you a moron.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I hacked up the course last weekend to the tune of roughly 120 strokes. But I made it a point to never hold my partners up. It's just common courtesy to your partners and the groups behind you.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

Our coach has brainwashed us into playing extrodinarly fast, like 1.5 hrs for 9 type fast. I average 40 or so on the front at my course playing this fast so no one can tell me that it hurts your game. Infact it helps because you don't have to think as much.

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

Our coach has brainwashed us into playing extrodinarly fast, like 1.5 hrs for 9 type fast. I average 40 or so on the front at my course playing this fast so no one can tell me that it hurts your game. Infact it helps because you don't have to think as much.

This is exactly right. My mistakes come from overthinking most of the time. Occasional swing faults, but that's to be expected.

I make an amazing number of putts (within a short range, say, 7 feet) when I do a quick read, decide on the length of the swing and line, walk up, and hit it right away. How often have you seen someone make 5 different practice swings, step up, and top the ball?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

How often have you seen someone make 5 different practice swings, step up, and top the ball?

Me. I was even aiming for the wrong green the last time I did that.

Par three, 180 yards. First shot, fat into the lake with a three iron. Re-hit, third shot push-sliced off into the rough. Way off. Number 4 with a pitching wedge from 80 yards or so... I was aiming for the wrong green and didn't even notice it. Took three practice swings, and topped the ball 20 feet. Fifth shot was to the fringe, then three-putted for dogballs.

Me. I was even aiming for the wrong green the last time I did that.

Yeah, that happens. There are two par-3s in parallel (tee areas are adjacent, but one green is about 30 yards past the other). A friend of mine and I were at the longer of the two; he sliced and hit the shorter's green, inches from the pin. How nice would that have been, your first hole in one and it's on the wrong green?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Yeah, that happens. There are two par-3s in parallel (tee areas are adjacent, but one green is about 30 yards past the other). A friend of mine and I were at the longer of the two; he sliced and hit the shorter's green, inches from the pin. How nice would that have been, your first hole in one and it's on the wrong green?

Nothing wants to make you plaster "Moron" in red letters across your forehead more than when your story's

not true. I aimed for a completely different green at the end of a hole which was facing another direction. Lucky, though, that was the shot I topped, or I'd be playing from the wrong green. And, hitting a hole in one on the wrong green, well, I would be like "That figures" and just assume it was my luck. I once served a volleyball during gym class in high school, watched it fly wide left, and sail through a basketball hoop about 40 feet away.

Some comments on slow play.

First, with the typically crowded conditions, especially on weekends in prime time, you have to learn to deal with a certain amount of waiting. Weekend prime time here in midsummer is from 6:30 AM to about 2-3 PM. If you tee off later than about 8 AM, you will be in the pack, and playing speed is determined solely by the luck of the draw (a normal round on my home course is 4 - 4:20, and I have never seen it longer than 5 hours). Even the groups that tee off at 5:30 - 6 AM only get the front 9 to themselves, as the course sends out 9 hole players on the back 9 until the first 18 hole group makes the turn.

So a necessary skill for public golfers is learning how to deal with waiting between shots. On the tee, I will practice chipping with whatever club I'm going to tee off with. I make a game of it, chipping at the tee markers. Usually the longest delays for me are on the tee. In the fairway, I'll drink water, munch something, talk to my playing companions, etc.

Last Tuesday I played alone, a very rare event on a public course here. I was behind a whole flock of foursomes, so playing through would have been a wasted exercise. Also there were no players behind me for 4 holes, so I didn't have to worry about holding anyone up myself. I was very deliberate in my play, playing one ball for score only, and occasionally dropping a second ball when the first one failed to do what I asked of it. But I always picked up the 2nd ball, and only scored the first. I had the luxury of being able to take my time and consider every possible shot that I might make from my current situation. I like to play imaginative shots, so I had time to think them over and I did play some that I may not have needed this time, but I well might need sometime in the future, so practicing them is a good exercise. I also did some practice putting on the greens, and chipping on the tee boxes. In all I had a relaxing, stress-free round of just over 4 hours, and I actually shot my second best score of the year so far. It is probably the most time I have spent waiting during a round in many years, but I worked out a way to deal with it and make the round enjoyable in spite of the constant delays.

While there are some inconsiderate players who just can't seem to figure out that they aren't the only ones on the course (and there are usually course personnel who can deal with those types), there are other times when the course will just play slow. Maybe one of THOSE groups went out early and bogged the course down for the whole day, even though they are long gone. On days like that, you have to have a plan to deal with the slow pace and still keep your own game working.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

When I got caught waiting on the tee in high school, we would play "The Tee-box game." Basically, it goes like this - everyone takes the club that they are going to hit off of the tee that you are waiting on. Using that club, you stand next to one tee marker and try to chip to the other tee marker. If you successfully hit that tee marker, you get to chip again and then go try and hit the other tee marker. If not, your turn is over and someone else chips. Once you have hit both tee markers with your ball, you can then "hunt" the other balls and attempt to hit them. Again, you get one shot to hit another player's ball and if you hit it, that player is out and you get another shot at another player. If you miss, your turn is over. The winner is the last player with a ball in play.

Jorgesgolf

Note: This thread is 6250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!