IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Obsess much?

Yes.

I wanted to add that as an edit but was out of time, so quoting works just as well.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes.

I wanted to add that as an edit but was out of time, so quoting works just as well.

Everyone knows your always talking about yourself :beer:

And, quite frequently, playing with myself.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

OK, new video here.

Open clubface. Looks to be about 20*? Obviously WAY too much but I figure I can work my way back. And I didn't hit any hooks at all. Some pushes which I expected but I need to get the ball starting to the right all the time, then I can fine tune my way back to a less extreme set-up.

Ball striking was pretty so-so as I noted yesterday. Keys 1 and 2 were sloppy, low point was a little bit all over the place which you can hear in some of these strikes. Path was a little sketchy too. My main goal was to eliminate any semblance of a pull-hook and I didn't hit any so, I got that going for me...

No FO, they're a bit of a PITA to get at this range because of the stupid dividers. I need to get some FO soon though because I think my key#1 is a POS right now and that's contributing to the key#2 sloppiness. I was hitting the ball far better contact wise at my last session, I was hooky but it was nice clean contact nonetheless.

I didn't warm up much with pump drills, so that's on me and I was borderline machine gunning balls but my focus was still pretty stupid monkey in so far as what my goals were.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Looks like I might have been over swinging a bit on the right. That would likely be a contributing factor to both my key 1&2 issues, getting a little out of sequence and having to struggle to pull it all back together on the DS.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

OK, new video here.

I didn't warm up much with pump drills, so that's on me and I was borderline machine gunning balls but my focus was still pretty stupid monkey in so far as what my goals were.

You can do better (right).

While doing your drill, Jason, try to PUSH the ball. You KNOW it's the face that controls this, but it will change your path too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

OK, new video here.

You can do better (right).

While doing your drill, Jason, try to PUSH the ball. You KNOW it's the face that controls this, but it will change your path too.

Ok.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Ugh..yuck...can see my path slowing creeping farther and farther OTT as the session went on. That right image is gonna piss me off all week until I an get to the range or sim again..

I actually thought my ball flight was alright, at least the first 85 yards of it I could see, hopefully those balls didn't all take hard right turns 95 yards out...

Ok @iacas , I will go back to the "hit the ball to right field" drill for a bit. I imagine I should bring the face back closer to square for that drill?

Here's some practicing the "no fear" driver swing, y'all can free to mock my horrid key#1 on the driver...

Doh! :doh: Classic EJ move, lol. I should really practice more with the driver, it does such a good job of amplifying all my crap moves...

I doubt I'll be hookin' that ball. :no:

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I doubt I'll be hookin' that ball. :no:

That looks like me. If you do hook it (which Ive done from a similar position) Its going to look like :poo: .

Here's some practicing the "no fear" driver swing, y'all can free to mock my horrid key#1 on the driver...

Doh!  Classic EJ move, lol. I should really practice more with the driver, it does such a good job of amplifying all my crap moves...

I doubt I'll be hookin' that ball.

Hi Ernie,

Looks like you and I are working on similar things.

FWIW, have a look at My Swing Thread. In order to stop rising up on the back swing, Mike has gotten me to drive the left shoulder down and in, trying to make it go toward my right hip, like in the right pic below. It may be helpful for you to do something similar.

Chris.:roll:

@Ernest Jones

I can't tell from the DTL view, but how is your Key 2 doing?  Erik pointed out to me that Key 2 will help Key 3.  Try the swing with a Key 2 thought and see if it helps the A6 position.  Here are you and I at A5.  Notice both out hips are still closed.  Your right foot is still planted, which may indicate your weight is still centered and hips are centered when they should be more forward.  My transfer has started, but it is not enough (got that from my lesson).  My shaft is too steep as well.

Now look at the positions on this post.  They seem to have more weight transferred at A5

post #9

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Hi Ernie,

Looks like you and I are working on similar things.

FWIW, have a look at My Swing Thread. In order to stop rising up on the back swing, Mike has gotten me to drive the left shoulder down and in, trying to make it go toward my right hip, like in the right pic below. It may be helpful for you to do something similar.

@Ernest Jones

I can't tell from the DTL view, but how is your Key 2 doing?  Erik pointed out to me that Key 2 will help Key 3.  Try the swing with a Key 2 thought and see if it helps the A6 position.  Here are you and I at A5.  Notice both out hips are still closed.  Your right foot is still planted, which may indicate your weight is still centered and hips are centered when they should be more forward.  My transfer has started, but it is not enough (got that from my lesson).  My shaft is too steep as well.

Now look at the positions on this post.  They seem to have more weight transferred at A5

post #9

Yeah, thanks for insights guys. I agree that my keys 1&2 were in the shitter that day (see below). That's where I usually breakdown when I try to introduce something new, even a little static thing like changing the face at set-up can throw me out of whack (mind like a squirrel). Just gonna chalk this up as a bad day. I was actually kinda hungover that day and forced myself to go to the range as I had already put it off the two previous days because my honey-do list is massive this time of year...

Ball striking was pretty so-so as I noted yesterday. Keys 1 and 2 were sloppy, low point was a little bit all over the place which you can hear in some of these strikes. Path was a little sketchy too. My main goal was to eliminate any semblance of a pull-hook and I didn't hit any so, I got that going for me...

No FO, they're a bit of a PITA to get at this range because of the stupid dividers. I need to get some FO soon though because I think my key#1 is a POS right now and that's contributing to the key#2 sloppiness. I was hitting the ball far better contact wise at my last session, I was hooky but it was nice clean contact nonetheless.

I might start ponying up the extra cash to hit the simulator instead of the dome. I prefer hitting in the dome over the sim (I find the sound of the ball whacking the screen a split second after impact robs me of the feel somehow) but I don't think that first 85 yards of flight is giving me enough feedback, particularly with the driver which can look pretty good for 90 yards and then spin off to the right.

I don't think I really need any "new" thoughts or feels (although I will work on pushing the ball as Erik suggested), just got to be better with my current ones. Some big points from that session for me were:

1) I let my arms run on a little further than my pivot which

2) pulled my head up and off the ball which

3) disrupted my weight shift which

4) pushed me out and off plane.

So...

1) get back to that shorter, tidier backswing (feel the right arm stays straight)

2) make sure BS is all pivot, no arm run on. This will keep the head more stable

3) More aggressive on the weight shift (feel the entire left side get taller as I push down hard with my lead foot while exploding shoulder UP-FORWARD-BACK) This will be way easier with the better BS.

4) Swing out to the ball...FFS.

5) Collect my trophy.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Damn those keys. Just when you think you got one fixed the golf swing just goes and changes the locks on ya.

Keep up the good work!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Damn those keys. Just when you think you got one fixed the golf swing just goes and changes the locks on ya.

Keep up the good work!

Amen.

I gotta say though, knowing and understanding the keys beats the hell out of stumbling around in the dark, frightened and confused!

Even before watching my videos I knew my key 1 wasn't as solid as it should be and I knew my weight shift was sloppy. I probably could have refocused and brought those two key under control right there and then, but I was determined to stay completely focused on hitting the ball to the right and not hooking any and I just cannot focus on more 1 thing at a time.

In a way, that awareness allowed me to feel free to just work on the start direction without panicking about keys 1 and 2 because I know I can go back and fix them once I get the ball starting on a better line. It's like making 2 steps forward with a key#5 thing knowing that it will probably take 1 step back when I turn back to keys 1 and 2. Slowly but surely every key moves one step ahead. Or at least, that's the plan...

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Played a round on the simulator yesterday. Club face control was non-existent lol. Literally all over the place, I even had a few where I would set-up with the face a good 15* open and managed to pull it 10* left. :bugout: I really need to get some good feels sorted out to a least develop a consistent miss. Right now I'm like the guy on page 24 of LSW, hitting everything nice and solid but with just about every shot shape under the sun. Pulls, pushes, hooks both pulled, straight and pushed and even a few push slices (ahem...power fades)...

Feeling really good about the rest of my swing though, kept everything in play (aside from one pull hooked tee ball that got wet) and managed a 46 on the front 9. I had played the first 5 holes at +3 but our sim broke down and we had to move to another one and restart the 9 which also meant we didn't have time to play the full 18. Was a little bummed to lose that +3 through 5 start but happy to stay around bogey golf with a non-existent key#5.

Can't really put much stock in the score, 6' gimmies because the putting is ridiculously hard and I'd rather not get really good at "sim putting" at the risk of messing up my feel for "real putting", but the 6' gimmie setting yielded fairly realistic putting results. I think I had around 34 putts which is much worse than my average but better than 3 (or 4!)  putting every hole which is what happens when play the ball down on the sim. Seriously, the putting is stupid.

I can put some stock in the ball-striking, as woeful as key#5 was my misses were all playable (other than the water ball) and iron distance was only a little shorter than what I see on-course. The real Christmas present was the driver, kept it in play all round and made my one and only swing thought to "swing without fear to full and complete followthrough." Longest drive of the day was 276 and I had two others that were around +/-260. Couple 240ish and the rest were in the 220 range. Definitely gives me the drive (pun totally intended :-$ ) to keep working on the driver. Hit the driver 9 times including the aborted 5 holes from the first sim. If I can get that average closer to the 260 range than the 220 range I will definitely save some strokes.

Fun to play golf in December! 5 more days and I'll be teeing it up in the Dominican Republic!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Fun to play golf in December! 5 more days and I'll be teeing it up in the Dominican Republic!

I'm jealous....  I'll just be stuck at home reading "The Dragon Reborn".....

Take some pics.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator

Played a round on the simulator yesterday. Club face control was non-existent lol. Literally all over the place, I even had a few where I would set-up with the face a good 15* open and managed to pull it 10* left. I really need to get some good feels sorted out to a least develop a consistent miss. Right now I'm like the guy on page 24 of LSW, hitting everything nice and solid but with just about every shot shape under the sun. Pulls, pushes, hooks both pulled, straight and pushed and even a few push slices (ahem...power fades)...

Work on some Clubface Control drills. Even with some AlmostGolf balls. Make the "goal posts" very narrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!