IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Yeah, trying to stay loose in transition so gravity has a chance to help my arms drop properly. Obviously I become a little too loose but that's where I'm at. A lotta of things are working out but some other things are falling apart. Such is golf eh? Really just looking for the right recipe that will keep me turning instead of standing up, if I EVER get that cleaned up I'll be able to attack some of the other garbage in my motion. Weeks of rain have kept me swinging in the basement which is probably a blessing in disguise as my Evolvr coach wants me working with half swings until I sort out the standing up crap.

FWIW, there may be a feeling of gravity doing something, but it really doesn't contribute much to the golf swing. Might - again - be a good feeling or thought, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Was excited to get to the range today because I feel like I've made a little progress. First my camera battery crapped out and then I did. Disappointing, couldn't get it going. Hit some ok shots but mostly slicing, trying to feel like my right ear is facing the ground as I follow through in hopes that it will keep me from standing up. This is a feel that seemed to be working in the basement but with no camera, who the hell knows what I was doing on the range. I really want to get another Evolvr lesson but I feel like I really need to see more progress before I do. Maybe I should get another one just to see if Stephan can give me a new feel or take it on from another angle. Maybe I just need to keep working on what he's given me already.... Maybe I should take up tiddlywinks instead.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Still (!!!!!) working on getting my shaft a little flatter coming down and trying to keep my head from pulling up out of the shot.

Feels and techniques I'm working with right now are: more banking the trail foot and trying to feel like my right ear is facing the floor by A7.5 or so. The foot banking is evolvr, the ear thing is just me trying to find something, ANYTHING, that will help me stay down a little longer. I'm probably overdoing the ear thing but it is changing the picture so I'll stick with it for now.

Hit some great iron shots on my last few holes today, just trying to not force the swing and let it build its own momentum, the ear towards the ground thing seemed to help. Haven't used any Evolvr uploads this month as I'm still trying to get the last ones down. I hope I can get this well enough to submit at least one this month even if its just to build on the same lesson I'm on now, I don't mind receiving the same lesson in different words multiple times, maybe that's what it takes to get through my stupid, thick skull! Just don't want to waste Stephan's time if I haven't made enough progress. Plus with all the rain I haven't been able to get much range time and even when I brave it I can't use my camera due to the rain.

Youtube video is loading slow, I'll check back later to see if it worked.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Love the Stegosaurus stickers! Herbivores are the way to go. And if you ever need a way to film while it's raining, a giant golf umbrella over the tripod works as long as it's not too windy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Haven't used any Evolvr uploads this month as I'm still trying to get the last ones down. I hope I can get this well enough to submit at least one this month even if its just to build on the same lesson I'm on now, I don't mind receiving the same lesson in different words multiple times, maybe that's what it takes to get through my stupid, thick skull! Just don't want to waste Stephan's time if I haven't made enough progress.

I feel the exact same way sometimes.  It's like "I know what James is going to say ... so why even bother sending it in?"  But its still usually helpful, because at the very least, he'll reword the advice in a way that may click with me better, or have me try a little different feel or a different drill that helps with the same piece.  Or, sometimes (not sure if this is intentional or scheduling related) I'll get one back from Stephan or Mike or Brian, and it can never hurt to have a fresh set of eyes on your swing.  They are always on the same page, so the priority won't change, but the feel, drill, or explanation might.

My goal is to at least make sure there is one lesson sitting in my account at all times.  That way I can tell myself I'm not "wasting" money by paying for an entire month for no reason.  (I probably average about one lesson every 2.5 or 3 weeks)

Still (!!!!!) working on getting my shaft a little flatter coming down and trying to keep my  head from pulling up out of the shot.

Feels and techniques I'm working with right now are: more banking the trail foot and trying to feel like my right ear is facing the floor by A7.5 or so. The foot banking is evolvr, the ear thing is just me trying to find something, ANYTHING, that will help me stay down a little longer. I'm probably overdoing the ear thing but it is changing the picture so I'll stick with it for now.

Hit some great iron shots on my last few holes today, just trying to not force the swing and let it build its own momentum, the ear towards the ground thing seemed to help. Haven't used any Evolvr uploads this month as I'm still trying to get the last ones down. I hope I can get this well enough to submit at least one this month even if its just to build on the same lesson I'm on now, I don't mind receiving the same lesson in different words multiple times, maybe that's what it takes to get through my stupid, thick skull! Just don't want to waste Stephan's time if I haven't made enough progress. Plus with all the rain I haven't been able to get much range time and even when I brave it I can't use my camera due to the rain.

Youtube video is loading slow, I'll check back later to see if it worked.

I still think your swing is getting better. James told me there may be some regression, but our goal is to minimize it.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

My goal is to at least make sure there is one lesson sitting in my account at all times.  That way I can tell myself I'm not "wasting" money by paying for an entire month for no reason.  (I probably average about one lesson every 2.5 or 3 weeks)

I know we get 4 lessons each month, but I feel the same way you do considering the monthly amount we pay. I have 3 swing analyses right now since March and they're all pretty much the same except it's more of James telling me to do a certain thing "MORE." It's amazing how hard it is to do something even when it's said to you at least 3 times. At least I'm starting to get it and now an am hitting it a lot better.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I'm certainly not concerned about the cash. The price we're paying for top notch instruction is borderline criminal!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I feel the exact same way sometimes.  It's like "I know what James is going to say ... so why even bother sending it in?"  But its still usually helpful, because at the very least, he'll reword the advice in a way that may click with me better, or have me try a little different feel or a different drill that helps with the same piece.

As you would suspect, we plan for the average to be about 2 analyses per month per student. If the average gets north of 2.5, we'll have to raise the price, because we can't pay the instructors enough, pay the costs to host and run the site, and not lose money.

We priced evolvr as it is priced because honestly 1 or 2 lessons a month is about all you need, and that's about all you SHOULD be submitting, most of the time. You said the reasons why here (you and Ernest) - you need time to submit things. It baffles us sometimes when we tell someone "do this, the picture should start to look like this" and they send in a video that looks identical after only three days. What's the point?

If I was an evolvr student I'd probably take one lesson and work my tail off and then, only when I SAW big changes (or I was REALLY confused) would I submit another video.

People don't change things in three days. Most don't change things enough in thirteen days to warrant another submission, let alone later that same week they get their analysis back.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

That's probably a pretty good rate, and I mean that in this way: it's probably the proper rate for you to get better the fastest with the least frustration (hearing the same things again and again). That's just about a perfect rate, and we tried to price it to encourage roughly that rate of submissions.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You should upload at least one per month. No shame in sending one up and saying I'm stuck. I do one every two weeks or so.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• Administrator
Originally Posted by cipher

You should upload at least one per month. No shame in sending one up and saying I'm stuck. I do one every two weeks or so.

Yes, upload again if:

1) you're stuck.

2) you have made the changes.

In the DTL I can see that my foot banking has suffered as I've devoted most of my concentration in trying to not stand up so much at impact. I think I'm getting close to having that down, once I do I'll turn my attention back to the footwork which hopefully clean up my path which has deteriorated a bit too.

A full swing and a half-swing (which was longer than it felt), I see lots of issues (not happy with my weight transfer but hoping it will clean up once I get back to working on my foot work) but again, just really working on not standing up for now.

No where near as much progress as I had hoped for at this point but I've been a little limited in my practice time this month, still managing about 2 one hour sessions a week but I feel like I need more to make anything really stick.

In any case, these are the videos I'm sending in to evolvr. I know I could easily keep working on the lessons I've got already but I feel like I need some more input...and maybe even to be yelled at! I've been sidetrack by the whole "standing up" thing but I think I need to nail that problem before fixing anything else.

Sadly my "opposite swing" is actually looking better!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Something must be sinking in. I played 18 yesterday afternoon on my local par 32 course. Scored 47 the first time around and 42 the second 9. That 42 is only a stroke off of bogey golf and I missed at least 3 putts that I normally make so it could have been better. My last 4 rounds of 9 on this par 32 course have been 49,48,47 and that 42. Part of it is course management and knowing this course fairly well but my misses are also getting a lot less penal (that's a fun word to say ) which is what it's all about.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Something must be sinking in. I played 18 yesterday afternoon on my local par 32 course. Scored 47 the first time around and 42 the second 9. That 42 is only a stroke off of bogey golf and I missed at least 3 putts that I normally make so it could have been better. My last 4 rounds of 9 on this par 32 course have been 49,48,47 and that 42. Part of it is course management and knowing this course fairly well but my misses are also getting a lot less penal (that's a fun word to say b2_tongue.gif ) which is what it's all about.

Keep at it. You will be shooting bogey golf consistently by the end of the season I would imagine. Are they keeping the rough short up by you? It has been so wet here in sconieville they have not really bothered to mow it that much. You miss a green and you are in like 6" rough. It is brutal.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

Keep at it. You will be shooting bogey golf consistently by the end of the season I would imagine.

Are they keeping the rough short up by you? It has been so wet here in sconieville they have not really bothered to mow it that much. You miss a green and you are in like 6" rough. It is brutal.

First cut is fine but after that you better bring a machete. It's an executive course so they don't exactly bust their balls with manicuring the course. Suits my needs just fine and it's only 5 minutes from my house.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Finally feel like I can shift my focus away from my head motions and go back to working on the banking and trying to flatten out some. Shaft didn't improve much to my eye but the legs and feet look better I guess. Sent in my last video (above) to evolvr, we'll see what they have to say.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Back to shallowing out that stupid shaft! Really like my last Evolvr lesson, ready to go all "stupid monkey" on it!

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Originally Posted by solarbear

Wtf is that gizmo sticking out of you doing?

If you came in at the ball flatter you'd find the consistency you seek.

LOL. The gizmo is a stick from my kids' fort building kit. My alignment sticks were in the car and it was pissing rain out so I didn't feel like going out to the car. The stick is just to help me monitor what my hips are doing. First attempt at doing this drill, supposed to help me with a pile of issues, coming in too steep being the biggest but there are certainly others.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!