IGNORED

2011 Presidents Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Found it interesting that one of my international friends from Scotland thought that America's dominence in this tournament was a foregone conclusion based on their ratings. Of course, he also sees the Americans loosing the Ryder cup for years to come!

Found it frustrating that the announcers at the moment are STILL asking stupid ass questions about whether or not Tiger has "talked" with Stevie since the match began (other than the handshake at the beginning of the round).

Is it a common thing for a tour player to talk to another tour player's caddie? Or, is this just the desperate "drama" commentary that is about as boring and useless as milking a cow with one teat?

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Bubba and Simpson on the board with a great round together!

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by JayMc

I'm no drinker, but if I took a drink every time they mentioned Ogilvey's local knowledge or that he's a member of Royal Melbourne I would be hammered!

Wait a minute! I thought that Ogilvey's local knowledge was the key to appreciating the golf match. Now, I'm confused.

Tiger and Stricker got a "beatdown". 7 & 6

No birdies.

Three bogies.

Three over par on the round.

I feel bad for Stricker.

Originally Posted by laconic517

I only caught bits and pieces of the Tiger match but it didn't look like he was playing that bad to me.  was it really all on him or is it typical overreaction?

Royal Melbourne is on of the most demanding courses in the world. The difference between a great shot and one that leaves you in a very difficult spot is only a few feet a lot of the time.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

On behalf of all Australians, please allow me to apologise for the opening ceremony.

What an embarrassment!

oh gawd...what happened?? I missed it, thankfully by the sounds of it. Why is it we do that kind of thing really badly?? I even prefer the US national anthem and the spirit and passion its sung in. I love everything about where I live, but I hate our anthem...sorry. Back tot he golf. Woods and Stricker smashed, but the US still ahead.

Royal Melbourne is on of the most demanding courses in the world. The difference between a great shot and one that leaves you in a very difficult spot is only a few feet a lot of the time.

I understand that.

But to me it didn't seem like Stricker played well either.

First hole he hit a very mediocre 2nd shot after Tiger hit the fairway with his 2 iron for example.

They seemed like they were both off.  Seemed like everyone was blaiming Tiger ("not even Steve Stricker could help him" for example)

Was rather brought home to me by Ernie's little pitch on the 3rd. Whoa.

http://www.pgatour.com/video/r/highlights/top_shots/2011/11/16/mine_11pcup_day1_3_2nd_els.pgatour/index.html

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea that is how its going to be...it was Tiger's fault. Remember, he is "supposed to be back" and because of his hatred for Stevie Williams...he was going to beat the hell out of Adam...at least that is how some people tend to think it was going to go down.

Adam and Choi played great, plain and simple. Tiger and Steve did not. It was almost like comparing apples to oranges.

but Tiger, being who he is, will either get complimented the most or blamed the most. Everyone else involved is just part of the script.

I understand that.

But to me it didn't seem like Stricker played well either.

First hole he hit a very mediocre 2nd shot after Tiger hit the fairway with his 2 iron for example.

They seemed like they were both off.  Seemed like everyone was blaiming Tiger ("not even Steve Stricker could help him" for example)

• Administrator

Originally Posted by JayMc

I'm no drinker, but if I took a drink every time they mentioned Ogilvey's local knowledge or that he's a member of Royal Melbourne I would be hammered!

I kept saying "It's-a-me, Luiiiiigiiiii" every time he was on screen. :-)

Originally Posted by dolfinack

Why aren't there more posts about the President's Cup? Especially with Tig and Stricks getting a spanking... I was looking forward to a good read. Two pages? pfffff

Because it's on late at night and a lot of people didn't watch it. Maybe rather than whine about things you could contribute to the thread productively? :-)

Steve Stricker played like crap. Tiger didn't play "well" but he could have had his A+ game.

I was really glad to see Watney come back. Badds hit one of the worst shots we've seen so far off the tee at 18. And what was up with Luigi's tee shot on 18, too? Goes with 3W to play it safe and hits it in the crap as well? Nice.

I'm really liking this course. It's the way Augusta National is supposed to be... though they could probably still eliminate a good chunk of the rough.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Old1964

Tiger and Stricker got a "beatdown". 7 & 6

No birdies.

Three bogies.

Three over par on the round.

I feel bad for Stricker.

You feel bad for Stricker becasue he played like garbage or because you think it was Tiger's fault they lost?

Tiger played decent but Stricker was TERRIBLE.

Looking forward to tonight's coverage! (starting early BTW due to weather)

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Tiger and DJ paired for best ball

Should be interesting. Tiger can leave the driver in the bag, but he better putt well, because DJ can't.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I only caught bits and pieces of the Tiger match but it didn't look like he was playing that bad to me.  was it really all on him or is it typical overreaction?

He didn't play that bad.A baby with no arms could have played better than Stricker!!!

As much as I like Stricker (being from Wisc. and all) he did play terrible, as did Tiger. I don't think it would have mattered in the end anyway, they wouldn't have won. Scott and Choi were just on.

Today should be interesting to see how it plays out with Tiger and DJ matched up and with Stricker and Kuchar. I think Tiger and DJ dominate, and Stricker and Kuch struggle and probably lose. GO USA!!

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

Originally Posted by iacas

Badds hit one of the worst shots we've seen so far off the tee at 18.

I almost recorded it but decided to take the high road

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 4546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!