IGNORED

Best club throwing, breaking, or angry outbursts you have seen or done

Pope33
Note: This thread is 3454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Once I hit a tee shot like 100 yards swinging out of my shoes. I just sat there and cried.

not really.

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

My golf game seems to be deteriorating each round I play these days. I seem to be getting worse and worse and my mental state is following the same route. The frustration just keeps building and I tend to show it more and more on the course. One day after messing up another hole, the guy I was playing with rolled my ball back down the fairway to me and I was holding my pitching wedge and as it was rolling past, I took this one-handed swing at it and caught it flush and sent it like 80 yards right into a pond in front of the next tee-box. I remember thinking ‘if only I could hit it that sweet on the course’.

I remember years ago (sometime right after high school, so at least 7 years ago) I was playing and got frustrated by completely screwing up a chip shot and I smacked my bag really hard with my wedge... it ended up breaking the shaft of my driver.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have not witnessed anything "good" (funny) in outbursts.  Most I have witnessed is throwing a club down the fairway which I have done once or twice.  If I am having an exceptionally bad round, it will not be uncommon for me to just intentionally hit a ball into the woods as my "sacrifice."  It doesn't work, but makes me feel better for a brief second.  Golf clubs are too expensive for me to intentionally damage one but the thought has definitely crossed my mind many times.

Originally Posted by lorus59

I took this one-handed swing at it and caught it flush and sent it like 80 yards right into a pond in front of the next tee-box. I remember thinking ‘if only I could hit it that sweet on the course’.

Seems to always be the way it goes.  When you actually try, the shot or putt sucks.  When you just give a half assed, pissed off effort, it does precisely what you want it to do every other shot.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Playing a match and my opponent 3 jacked from 6 feet above hole....his 2nd putt was close to 20 ft.  He tossed his putter and it got stuck in a tree 20 ft off ground....Next 12 holes he had to putt with 2 iron....Kicked his arse.

I've snapped two clubs in my time, but the most embarrassing thing i've done came a couple of weeks ago when I was playing in a friendly doubles match at my club. I pulled a drive off the 8th tee and instead of accepting the result like any normal human being, I decided to smack the clubhead against the floor and fling it over to the left. Sadly, I misjudged my throw and it carried on flying into the trees, between the four of us it took 40 minutes to find!

Originally Posted by bigeasy

I've snapped two clubs in my time, but the most embarrassing thing i've done came a couple of weeks ago when I was playing in a friendly doubles match at my club. I pulled a drive off the 8th tee and instead of accepting the result like any normal human being, I decided to smack the clubhead against the floor and fling it over to the left. Sadly, I misjudged my throw and it carried on flying into the trees, between the four of us it took 40 minutes to find!

someone helped you look for a club you chucked into the woods for 40 minutes ? that is a good friend

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

I have only been playing seriously for three years and have honestly never seen anyone chuck or break a club.  The closest was this summer down in RI. I was playing a course for the first time with another guy I just met (nice guy who was helping me around the course).  Later in the round we let a twosome join us, Mom and son.  The son was a bit Type A and took great exception to bad shots.

We were on this narrow 600yd par 5 and he hit an iron off the tee.  I asked him if it was a 2 iron.  He said, "No, it is a 3 -iron.  My 2-iron is in the pond over there somewhere."  I turned to my partner and smiled.  We had a good laugh about it later when the son just stopped playing and left after the 15th.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When I first started I threw my 3 wood into the woods and I'm sure its still there.  There is a guy I play with rarely though that I don't think has ever finished a whole 18 holes.  I've seen him throw clubs, dump out his entire golf bag, and walk off almost every round.

Funniest thing I have heard is from an older gentleman I play with.  He has played golf for over 60 years and he has some great ones.

1.  A guy he was playing with missed a 3 foot putt and threw his putter straight up in the air and then ran up under it so it hit him in the head on purpose.

2.  Same guy started punching a thorn bush pulls his hand out all bloody then yells at his other hand that it's not getting away with it and did the same thing.

3.  Same guy again threw a ball up in the air and tried to hit it with his putter baseball swing style.  The ball ricocheted hit him right between the eyes and knocked him out cold.

• Upvote 3

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I moved from Ohio to Palm Beach Gardens, Fla in 1982. I lived a few blocks from the local high school & would go there to hit balls. There was always an old guy there hitting 100-yard punch shots. One look at his grip told me that was a pro, so I went over and talked with him. We developed a friendship and he helped me out with my swing, etc. His name was Ivan Gantz. Said he played the tour back in the 40's & 50's. This guy was a piece of work - salty language, full of stories about the tour - said he finished 2nd to Hogan a few times & tried to help him with his snap hook.

Anyway, I did a little bit of research on this guy to make sure he wasn't bs-ing me. He wasn't. He did play on the tour, never won. And the reason he couldn't break through was presumably his temper. He was notorious for self-immolation, made Tommy Bolt look like a choirboy. Here's a story I just read about him -

Quote:
There are plenty of golfing personalities from years gone by. Moe Norman, Deane Beaman, Seve, etc. I came across this guy and thought he sounds like pure gold. Imagine him as your regular weekend partner...

Ivan Gantz, a club pro from Indiana who played part-time on the PGA Tour, was called IVAN THE TERRIBLE. He was famous because of his spontaneous outbursts.

Tommy Bolt was noted for his temper but he couldn’t hold a candle to Gantz. Ivan expected perfection on every shot. If he didn’t get it—watch out. According to architect Pete Dye, who played with Gantz, “Everybody liked him. He was everybody’s friend. He never hurt anyone else. He only attacked himself.”

That son of a ***** was so crazy he threw clubs on the range after a round. He had a persimmon driver that he stomped on so many times it looked like he'd turned termites loose on it. He'd stick his hand in a thorn bush until his hand was raw and bloody and then hold it in front of his face and talk to it: "That'll teach you to get involved in the shot too soon!"

Once during the Indiana State Open Gantz choked while addressing a tee shot. Unable to draw the club back he eventually yanked the club straight up and cracked himself over the head with it. He then put a handkerchief around his head to stem the flow of blood and kept on playing.

While playing with the head professional at Hillcrest CC in Indianapolis Ivan missed a green 20 yards right. Left with chip over a bunker he proceeded to dump the shot into the trap. So frustrated Ivan started punching himself in the face until he bled. On other occasions he was seen jumping head first into bunkers.

After one bad shot in Texas Ivan jumped into a cactus. Another time he head-butted a tree. When a friend in an adjacent fairway saw him he yelled, “Hey Ivan, how are you?” Ivan turned, yelled back, “Hi”, then went back to beating his head against the tree.

Gantz was not good at remembering names, so he called everyone "Ol' buddy."

When I first started I threw my 3 wood into the woods and I'm sure its still there.  There is a guy I play with rarely though that I don't think has ever finished a whole 18 holes.  I've seen him throw clubs, dump out his entire golf bag, and walk off almost every round.

Funniest thing I have heard is from an older gentleman I play with.  He has played golf for over 60 years and he has some great ones.

1.  A guy he was playing with missed a 3 foot putt and threw his putter straight up in the air and then ran up under it so it hit him in the head on purpose.

2.  Same guy started punching a thorn bush pulls his hand out all bloody then yells at his other hand that it's not getting away with it and did the same thing.

3.  Same guy again threw a ball up in the air and tried to hit it with his putter baseball swing style.  The ball ricocheted hit him right between the eyes and knocked him out cold.

When I read these stories, I laughed my a$$ off, priceless!!

• Upvote 1

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Originally Posted by poser

This sounds like Ivan!

I watched a buddy on the 17th hole of my home course, take the safe route and hit 3 wood off the tee. Well lets say that didnt work out so well and he goes to throw the club but releases it (to late?) and it ends up getting stuck on a pretty high pine tree. He then realizes that he needs the 3 wood haha and begins to climb the tree. 10 minutes later he gets down and is just covered in sap. Literally one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed,

These stories are great! Hahahaha

My first year playing I was on the 18th hole at my home course. Not OB their's a grassy area full of trees to the right, and as I do quite often, I go right and lose my ball. For some reason I great really, really, really pissed off when I lose a ball. I don't mind losing one in the water or in the woods, but when I just flat out cannot find a ball, I get f'ing pissed off. So I lose it, and it was a practice round so I don't feel like walking back to the tee so I drop one and all pissed off I hit a crappy shot and I yell "MOTHER F>>>ER!" and slam my 4 iron into the a tree and it snaps in half. To add to it, I realized I left my 7 iron back on the 17th fairway(I had thrown it and forgot to go get it), so I go back and can't remember where it went so I walked off the course two clubs down and on the verge of going to the hospital for how high my blood pressure probably was, haha. I was PISSED! All over losing a ball, lol. Three years later, I still haven't learned to control my anger and have meltdowns every so often. I've only broken two clubs since then though, haha.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I've had this page bookmarked for a few years now: http://www.golf.com/video/proper-way-throw-your-club
  • Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

AWESOME! I'm going to practice this!

Originally Posted by jamo

I've had this page bookmarked for a few years now: http://www.golf.com/video/proper-way-throw-your-club

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3454 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!