IGNORED

Chevron World Challenge 2011 Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hope he wins, but it doesn't count until he wins a full-field, stroke play event.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by k-troop

Hope he wins, but it doesn't count until he wins a full-field, stroke play event.

"Counts" for what? The world ranking points certainly count.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Counts for.... a PGA Tour event? Confidence points? A W on the resume? World ranking points?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by iacas

You know what he means -

The points count, but even though I want to see him do well, you can't count a win in an 18 man field in the same way that all the other PGA Tour wins in a season count. A win in any one of the Fall Series events would "count" more than this in most folks' books, don't you think?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Well I have to say,the last two days he is showing signs of getting his game back,especially his putting.His balance is so much better and his control is getting there.He has a couple of hickups today,but so did a lot of the guys.I still think he needs to get back out at the first of the year and play on a weekly basis and compete.That of course will depend on his legs and is he fully healed and healthy enough to do that.We shall see,but it's great to signs of the Old Tiger that is fun to watch,like the flop shot he hit today!!!

Originally Posted by iacas

Originally Posted by jamo

Counts for.... a PGA Tour event? Confidence points? A W on the resume? World ranking points?

Originally Posted by Shorty

A win in any one of the Fall Series events would "count" more than this in most folks' books, don't you think?

Agree with Shorty.  Obviously, a W is a W.  However, a W in a 140-man event is a lot different than a W in an 18-man event.  In terms of the public's confidence in Tiger, and Tiger's confidence in himself, winning this week will not get the monkey off of his back.  Maybe if Adam Scott were in the field....

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Shorty

You know what he means -

The points count, but even though I want to see him do well, you can't count a win in an 18 man field in the same way that all the other PGA Tour wins in a season count. A win in any one of the Fall Series events would "count" more than this in most folks' books, don't you think?

I don't like to assume.

I agree it doesn't "count" as much as a regular season win, a Fall Series win, or a major win (duh). But "as much" isn't the same as "not at all."

That's what I mean. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agree with Shorty.  Obviously, a W is a W.  However, a W in a 140-man event is a lot different than a W in an 18-man event.  In terms of the public's confidence in Tiger, and Tiger's confidence in himself, winning this week will not get the monkey off of his back.  Maybe if Adam Scott were in the field....

I don't disagree, but it still counts for something. Playing well in a tournament is still playing well in a tournament. It might not be up to the threshold of the Masters or even a Fall Series event, but it's still something to draw on, especially for a guy who has had almost nothing to build confidence from over the last two years. The monkey is still on his back, but maybe now it's a chimp instead of a gorilla (and yes, I realize neither of those are monkeys, but the analogy fits nicely). And FWIW, I thought his swing looked really good.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by DevilGolfer

I like the logo. The tournament should be fun no matter what. Is there a chance of hail this year?

Just the hailing of Tiger should he win.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Joe Mcc 69

Well I have to say,the last two days he is showing signs of getting his game back,especially his putting.His balance is so much better and his control is getting there.He has a couple of hickups today,but so did a lot of the guys.I still think he needs to get back out at the first of the year and play on a weekly basis and compete.That of course will depend on his legs and is he fully healed and healthy enough to do that.We shall see,but it's great to signs of the Old Tiger that is fun to watch,like the flop shot he hit today!!!

Why would he need to do that when he NEVER EVER did that?  At an equivalent point in his career Jack reduced the number of events he played.  Tiger is talking about keeping the number of events he plays at his historical levels.  Tiger has always been  one who could hone his game at home with practice and then take it out on tour for an event or two before going back home to hone some more.  Why would he change such a successful pattern?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I'd like to know how many top 50 players were in the Frys.com Open. This is single step forward to "getting back" but it's admittedly against a dozen (or more) of the world's best players.

Originally Posted by jamo

I don't disagree, but it still counts for something. Playing well in a tournament is still playing well in a tournament. It might not be up to the threshold of the Masters or even a Fall Series event, but it's still something to draw on, especially for a guy who has had almost nothing to build confidence from over the last two years. The monkey is still on his back, but maybe now it's a chimp instead of a gorilla (and yes, I realize neither of those are monkeys, but the analogy fits nicely).

And FWIW, I thought his swing looked really good.

I followed Tiger and KJ for all 18 today (1st time following him) and he was EASILY the best player out there. You guys have been to tournaments before and you know what I mean. Tiger had his swagger, and was hitting unbelievable shots. I was right behind him on the 5 iron to 4 feet for eagle. The ball was sitting deep in the rough, at least 8 INCHES below his feet. You just knew today was going to be great. Most of his shots were right above the flag, or came down right before it, but he was able to cut and draw his shots in there at his pleasure. The par 3 double on 15 was a hard hole. It was deep, and those guys couldn't know what the wind was gonna do down at the hole from where they were. I mean, KJ put his ball in the water after Tiger did. Then KJ put it in the water again from the drop zone, about 40 yards from the hole. The wind was hard on that hole. Tiger was missing great, couple of feet from the fairway for the most part. He's playing like he did back in the day, but is actually hitting fairways. When KJ is saying Tiger was an artist out there, somethings clicking. And the course is not easy--Webb Simpson, arguably the hottest player of the year is at 8 over for the two days, and Keegan's playing like crap. Granted though, Tiger's played this course much more than those dudes.

Bonus: the women coming out of their BIG houses along the fairways inviting Tiger in for sandwiches while he played. I couldn't believe it. Going back to Sherwood Sunday.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by k-troop

I know what you mean, but he is competing against 17 other very good players. If the Chevron were these 18 players plus 132 pros ranked 50-182 on the PGA Tour we'd be saying it was a pretty strong field.

I think a W for Woods tomorrow will do wonders for his confidence and will most certainly get the monkey off of his back. The longer the W-less streak goes on, the more pressure heaped on him.

I think he is going to finally finish the job off this weekend, winning going away from the field.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

I know what you mean, but he is competing against 17 other very good players. If the Chevron were these 18 players plus 132 pros ranked 50-182 on the PGA Tour we'd be saying it was a pretty strong field.

I think a W for Woods tomorrow will do wonders for his confidence and will most certainly get the monkey off of his back. The longer the W-less streak goes on, the more pressure heaped on him.

I think he is going to finally finish the job off this weekend, winning going away from the field.

I completely agree with this. I really hope Tiger pulls off a win, if for no other reason we can stop hearing about "when is he going to win again?". I think a win here for Tiger is a game changer and then he's really back on the quest for breaking Jack's record. It was great to see Tiger's short game looking good again. It was pretty painful watching him earlier this year.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Why would he need to do that when he NEVER EVER did that?  At an equivalent point in his career Jack reduced the number of events he played.  Tiger is talking about keeping the number of events he plays at his historical levels.  Tiger has always been  one who could hone his game at home with practice and then take it out on tour for an event or two before going back home to hone some more.  Why would he change such a successful pattern?

Not in the first part of his career.It hasn't been working and hasn't in at least three years.When he was number one and no one else even close I could see him playing a very selective schedule,but he's number 52 in the world now and needs to get back out and play more Tourney golf.I just don't think he can get his A game back on the range at home.When he gets it back,then he can earn the right to play a selective schedule.Just my two cents.

It is difficult to say just what a win in such a limited field should be "worth".  But IMO if Tiger can bring home the win today it will be a big boost to his confidence.  Particularly if he can do it by increasing his lead significantly.  Of course, since he has the lead, if he doesn't win it will likely lead to more self examination and perhaps a decreasing confidence level.  So I personally believe, regardless of what the win is worth to any of us, it is very important to Tiger.

Butch

Big field or not, Tiger has shown these first two days that he can compete against the field again and win. He's had good rounds before, but been unable to string them together. Even in those good rounds, he's had some wayward stuff. This week, everything is much tighter and his misses are smaller than before. Regardless of the result from this tournament, I expect so see him competing for a win on a regular-sized event next year. But of course, a field with 18 top players is easier than a field with 18 top players, plus 107 players.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!