IGNORED

How many times a week do you get to play golf?

jlucas05
Note: This thread is 4492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I get to about once or two times a week, just seems like its hard to make time the older i get. How about you all?

In My Cleveland golf stand bag:
Driver: r580xd 10.5
Woods: launcher 3 and 5 woods
Irons: gunmetal TA-3 1 iron and 3-pw
Wedges: MP-T series 53* oil can 58* Putter: sigma

Originally Posted by jlucas05

I get to about once or two times a week, just seems like its hard to make time the older i get. How about you all?

How old are we talking here ... old as in having kids and taking on responsibility, or old as in joints are seizing up and major organs are failing.

Cuz the first kind of old is a passing phase.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

I'm on this kind of old and I'm lucky if I get to even play once a month. 2012 looks more dismal in terms of golf since we're expecting another baby in March. Can't wait till this phase passes.

Originally Posted by WWBDD

How old are we talking here ... old as in having kids and taking on responsibility, or old as in joints are seizing up and major organs are failing.

Cuz the first kind of old is a passing phase.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Well, in my case it's a matter of going from working in a retail sports store where you come in later some days and get off early others to a real 9-6 job. I get to on the weekends but that's pretty much it. It's the reality of life i guess ha.

In My Cleveland golf stand bag:
Driver: r580xd 10.5
Woods: launcher 3 and 5 woods
Irons: gunmetal TA-3 1 iron and 3-pw
Wedges: MP-T series 53* oil can 58* Putter: sigma

less than once a week -- usually 2 or three times a month.

I hit the range about once a week too.

...and I'm of the 15-month-old-at-home-and-another-on-the-way sort of old *AND* I'm of the my-ankle-gives-out-on-me-for-no-particular-reason-(old soccer injuries)-and-I-can't-walk-for-a-week-every-two-or-three-months sort of old too.

I don't expect to play too often in 2012 - maybe average twice a month.

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

I'm on this kind of old and I'm lucky if I get to even play once a month. 2012 looks more dismal in terms of golf since we're expecting another baby in March. Can't wait till this phase passes.

Golf isn’t going anywhere.
Enjoy the time you can spend with your kids.
I essentially gave up the game for 13 years while my kids were young and I have no regrets.
Reading to my kids while they sat on my lap still outranks any golf memory I can come up with.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Yes, I love spending time with my newborn son. I read to him almost every night and enjoy watching him grow. I don't mean to sound like I enjoy golf more than my family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

I essentially gave up the game for 13 years while my kids were young and I have no regrets.

Reading to my kids while they sat on my lap still outranks any golf memory I can come up with.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Agreed.  I too took about 10 years off, and just got back into golf (once or twice/week) last year - kids are now 11 and 8.

I know what you mean, and a couple of posts sounded "bad" about parenting, or being a father, as a phase, but I don't think it was meant as bad as it sounded.  At least I hope not.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Once, very rarely twice in the golf season, and maybe hit the range once or twice a week.

For the other 7 months? Zero.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Raising kids is more important than playing golf, but we're still people and so are they. My wife and I do without some things in order to raise good kids, just like all middle class parents do, but you don't have to be a martyr in order to be a good parent. If you choose to focus completely on them and do things other than golf, that's great,  but if golf (or whatever your favourite hobby is) doesn't even remotely fit into your life just because you have children, don't blame your kids. Our kids have learned (and will continue to do so) that mom and dad are people too. We have interests and hobbies just like they do.

• Upvote 2

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Once a week normally - occasionally twice if I'm lucky. Also try to practice once a week all year round.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

In the winter usually once a week and the rest of the year 3 or 4 times a week. This year I've been lucky since it been a mild winter and my new job has flexible hours I've been playing twice a week.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

yesterday was my last round of the year (didn't get above 28°F - only bad part was the greens were frozen at mid day & lob shots bounced 8 ft in the air & rolled off the green - not much fun).      I started in late April, and logged 75 rounds this year.     That averages out to just over 3 days per week over the 8 month season.     This was my "catch up" year - not sure I'll be able to maintain that pace in the future & continue to enjoy marital bliss ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, how much I play is more weather dependent than work/life dependent.  I teach in the public school system and get off most days at 3:30 pm.  My home course is about 10 minutes away from work as is the course where I have a range plan.  Here in Eastern NC, most winters it is warm enough to play year round although last year at this time we had 13" of snow on the ground.

All of that is to say that I can get out there a few times during the week for practice or to walk a few holes and during the summers when I am not teaching, I'll play 5 or 6 times a week if I want to.  At one point last summer, all twenty scores I had in the handicap computer were from July.

I plan on playing once on the weekend once the local weather here warms up.  Right now in the DC area its been mild, but Jan and Feb are usually non-playing months (for me anyway).  I took a new job in September, which will not allow to play my usual 2-3 times per week like my old job.  I miss working right next to a golf course

This time of year, weather permitting, I'll play both Saturday and Sunday. During the summer along with the 2 weekend rounds I'll usually try to sneak in one after work round during the week. Being off work this week I'll get in 5 rounds.

Note: This thread is 4492 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!