IGNORED

Robert Rock Golf Swing

iacas
Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Folks in certain circles of the golf swing business have known about Robert Rock's golf swing for quite some time. He's a Mac O'Grady guy, and works with Matt Belsham, who is said to be Mac's "main guy" in Europe.

Robert Rock has had a good or great golf swing for quite some time now, and yet has only recently won events. There's a lot more to golf than having a great swing (as many know - look at Phil Mickelson, or Tiger in 2007-2009), but having a good golf swing is often not a bad thing. :)

Robert Rock is (along with some of his instructors) @RobRockAcademy on Twitter and has a YouTube channel with some of his swings: robrock9 .

A funny moment occurred Sunday morning when Josh said to Dave, Mike, and myself "Hey, do you guys know who Robert Rock is?" and we all almost simultaneously deadpanned "no, who's that?" Of course we knew. :) The sarcasm wasn't lost on Josh, who proceeded to tell us that Rob was his new favorite golfer. :)

Here are some of the swings Rob's posted on his YouTube channel:

He's an approachable dude, too, who has even commented on other people's swings on YouTube and who responds via Twitter, email, on Facebook, etc.

Two analyses:

If what we (at Golf Evolution) teach had a model, it may very well be Rob Rock.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been a big fan of his swing for a while now.  I don't know how you can hit the ball to far offline with that action.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Are there any specific elements of Rock's swing that stand out as opposed to the normal favorites like Charlie & Grant?

Anyone know his club distances?

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

iacas,

It seems his miss is a pull, are there any thoughts on why? Or do you think his miss is something else.

Please note: I feel his swing is the best for a touring pro, so I am not bashing but looking for thoughts.

Michael

Originally Posted by mvmac

Who?

You know, the golf pro from the Flintstones. Right? No wait, that was Arnold Palmrock.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by Yeri

Are there any specific elements of Rock's swing that stand out as opposed to the normal favorites like Charlie & Grant?

Not much, I think Rock likes to play a cut and Grant draws it.  Difference will be with left arm location at P5

Grant vs Rock.jpg

Grant vs Rock 3.jpg

Grant vs Rock 2.jpg

Grant vs Rock 4.jpg

Compared to Charlie, Rock's has more rotation in the lower center on the downswing, Wi almost has too much slide compared to the amount of rotation

Originally Posted by poser

Anyone know his club distances?

I think he's basically tour average, here are his stats

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/playerid=30383/statistics/index.html

Originally Posted by mchepp

iacas,

It seems his miss is a pull, are there any thoughts on why? Or do you think his miss is something else.

Please note: I feel his swing is the best for a touring pro, so I am not bashing but looking for thoughts.

Stronger grip and left arm being more "out"

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Robert Rock has been on the radar on this side of the pond for a few years now, sometimes for the wrong reasons. His fondness for the amber nectar has possibly kept him from reaching his full potential. When he plays well hes got a beautiful swing but he's got a tendency to almost fan the club open toe up, and can get too handsy through impact

• Administrator

It really isn't though. He plays a cut because of things he does well after P5. Quite literally we're talking about a few degrees - +2 for Charlie and -2 for Rock, and that's at most. Same for Grant - tiny little differences. Quite simply where he aims his feet a few degrees can account for the differences, and when you add in really really teeny differences in how quickly his body turns through the impact interval, his use of the third accumulator through impact interval, etc. then you can easily get +/- 2°.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like this guy and try to use him as a swing model for one aspect; I have long hair and don't wear a hat, so I try to get my hair to fly around on my follow through like his. The trick is to keep your head very still and release your hair as late as you can hold it. It might not help your game much, but if the sun is just right, it looks pretty damned good. Maybe it could intimidate your opponents...

The man should get an endorsement deal with Head & Shoulders instead of getting paid to wear a hat. He stands out so much for not wearing the cap.

As for his swing, I like his very quiet legs. He loses power, but he has fewer moving parts because of it. Beautiful timing as well; not the most explosive hip turn, but it clears nicely and his hands are in a good position to fade the ball.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Believe me, Rock is a lot longer than tour average. He can seriously bomb when he wants to.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by iacas

It really isn't though. He plays a cut because of things he does well after P5. Quite literally we're talking about a few degrees - +2 for Charlie and -2 for Rock, and that's at most. Same for Grant - tiny little differences. Quite simply where he aims his feet a few degrees can account for the differences, and when you add in really really teeny differences in how quickly his body turns through the impact interval, his use of the third accumulator through impact interval, etc. then you can easily get +/- 2°.

Good post here. It still doesn't answer my question, but maybe there is not an easy answer. The comparisons in my opinion start to really change a P6. Both the shoulders and the elbow positions.

Michael

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

Believe me, Rock is a lot longer than tour average. He can seriously bomb when he wants to.

His driving distance has been all over the place since he got on tour; his high is 305 on the euro tour, but he hasn't gotten over 300 since, and is normally solidly in your 280-290 range. His accuracy numbers are a bit better, but not good enough to indicate a conservative strategy.

The euro tour doesn't seem to track the longest drives for the players, but I haven't seen Rock hit anything particularly long for a tour player. Maybe he had a more power oriented swing early in his career, but it seems his power has gone down sharply while his overall game has improved a lot. Taking 2 strokes off his stroke average is notable.

Category 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012
Stroke Average 72.93 72.28 71.72 71.00 71.51 71.37 71.03 69.83
Driving Accuracy (%) 55.26 54.67 57.66 62.89 53.41 56.31 61.53 62.34
Driving Distance (Yards) 305.57 295.94 289.79 297.42 297.66 288.86 285.57 285
Greens In Regulation (%) 65.69 67.45 65.05 72.38 68.09 64.58 71.82 71.72
Average Putts Per Round 30.88 30.6 29.68 30.48 29.92 29.33 30.24 28.55
Putts Per Gir 1.85 1.8399999 1.8 1.8199999 1.78 1.77 1.78 1.6600000
Sand Saves (% / Total save attempts) 46.38 / 69 42.86 / 56 40 / 100 63.08 / 65 51.55 / 97 53.97 / 126 48.21 / 112 66.67 / 12

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Compared to Charlie, Rock's has more rotation in the lower center on the downswing, Wi almost has too much slide compared to the amount of rotation

I think he's basically tour average, here are his stats

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/playerid=30383/statistics/index.html

Stronger attachment and Rock has slight more rotation.  Lots of slide can cause the club to travel more inside out.

Also, without access to software at this moment, looking at Wi's swing and Rock's swing from p7 to p7.75 from dtl. Wi's looks slightly more out than Rock's.  (measuring from shaft line at p7 to p7.75 ish...)

Extremely slight

If Mike or Erik could confirm or deny this with some line :)  Thanks

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Originally Posted by sk golf

Stronger attachment and Rock has slight more rotation.  Lots of slide can cause the club to travel more inside out.

Also, without access to software at this moment, looking at Wi's swing and Rock's swing from p7 to p7.75 from dtl. Wi's looks slightly more out than Rock's.  (measuring from shaft line at p7 to p7.75 ish...)

Extremely slight

If Mike or Erik could confirm or deny this with some line :)  Thanks

Slightly :-)

Wi vs Rock 1.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 2459 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!