IGNORED

2012 Accenture Match Play Discussion Thread

brocks
Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To be honest, todays Golf Channel coverage leaves little to be desired IMO. Way too much Tiger coverage. I thought the world #1,#2,#3 and so on were playing as well?? Some really good match ups out there today but seems as if only certain american players are getting coverage. Would like to see Donald and Rors play, Kaymer and Westwood are in the field I believe as well. Anyways enjoy watching tiger and Constano hack it up.

If you don't think they're going to show as much of Tiger's match as they can, then you've been asleep the last 15 years. But the #1 seeds all started very late, because they got the latest tee times to begin with, and then those were pushed back because of all the matches that went extra holes, which tee off from #1. So there will be plenty of Rory and Luke in the late coverage --- assuming Luke doesn't get closed out on 14.

Ernie really did his job out there, knocking out Luke. So far, most of the matches has gone the way I was hoping.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Greetings ... If both Ryo Ishikawa and Matteo Mannassero (Snead Bracket) make it past Thursday's 2nd round, they'll go at each other in Friday's 3rd Round, with the winner possibly taking on Tiger Woods in Saturday's Quarterfinals. Unfortunately, my dream 3rd-round meeting of Sergio Garcia and Rory McIlroy is not to be. Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

Now Tiger is 1UP with 2 to play.  Is anyone watching it live? How is Tiger hitting/putting it?

Let's just say that Tiger was very lucky to get the opponent he did. I think Darren Clarke had the worst round today, but Tiger and Gonzalo weren't far behind. Tiger said at his press conference yesterday that he caught a cold from his kids last week and limited his practice mostly to chipping and pitching, and his game today sure looked like it. He was chipping and pitching pretty well, but he hit terrible shots with every other club. He hit some good ones, too, but he had a lot of drives into the desert, a lot of approaches that completely missed the green, and a lot of makeable putts that he didn't make. But Gonzalo, after birdies on the first two holes, came apart on the back nine and was mishitting with almost every club. Tiger did hit some good drives, especially one to the driveable par-4 15th that left him about 25 feet for eagle (he two-putted for birdie). But he hit others way off line. And he hit a fairway wood into the junk on a par 5, which cost him the hole even after Gonzalo took an unplayable. Earlier, he had hit a beautiful fairway wood about 280 right at the flag, so he can do it, but not consistently. Tiger gets Nick Watney tomorrow, who hasn't been playing well, but was fortunate to get Darren Clarke, who is playing even worse. Tiger might be playing well enough to beat Watney, but he's going to have to get a lot sharper for the third round.

im saying watney beats tiger tomorrow, you heard it here first

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

rory misses a 4-footer for the win on 17, 1 up with 1 to play

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Originally Posted by brocks

Tiger gets Nick Watney tomorrow, who hasn't been playing well, but was fortunate to get Darren Clarke, who is playing even worse. Tiger might be playing well enough to beat Watney, but he's going to have to get a lot sharper for the third round.

Watney hasn't played well since Golf Digest (or is it Golf Magazine) started posting his swing every month. I think that's pretty common, but maybe he's injured too?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Current Rankings for thesandtrap Rank Player Projected Winner Tie-Breaker Answer Score 30 Locati, R Tiger Woods 23 23 792 brown, r Charl 16 20 1709 Harriff, D Tiger Woods 18 19 1709 Manzana, R Tiger Woods 17 19 2945 Barzeski, E Tiger Woods 31 18 2945 James, M Rory McIlroy 17 18 4524 Ho, S Rory McIlroy 2 17 4524 Jack, S Tiger Woods 17 17 4524 mc, j Luke Donald 17 17 4524 Wasem, J Sergio 20 17 4524 Weiss, J Luke Donald 18 17 6112 zwicks, z Zach 16 16 8785 Noland, D Rory McIlroy 18 13

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Tiger got a gift today.  His Tiger-ness has definitely left him.  I don't think it's a matter of his swing changes anymore.  He had a chance to put the match away and missed it, then put himself in a horrible position on 18 from a commanding part of the fairway.  I think he mis-hit that bunker shot--I can't believe he was trying to land it that far back into the fringe.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

On another note, Keegan is going to be really hard to beat if he keeps playing like he is.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Tiger got a gift today.  His Tiger-ness has definitely left him.  I don't think it's a matter of his swing changes anymore.  He had a chance to put the match away and missed it

And Rory had three chances to put it away and missed them, but was given a gift by his opponent missing a very makeable putt on 18. So I guess Rory is all washed up, too. Not to mention the current world #1, who was obliterated by a guy who wouldn't even have qualified if Phil hadn't decided to go skiing. Seriously, that's golf. Tiger is not consistent yet, but he's better now than he was the last two years, and in the last two years, he trounced his opponents in singles match play at the RC and PC. So yes, he was lucky he drew Gonzo and not Keegan, but he had a bad day. If he has a good day, whoever he's playing will have his hands full.

I don't think anyone can expect to go 1 up 1 down 1 up 1 down with Tiger and win. He can pull through when he is right on the edge under pressure all the time.

Tiger looks to be playing a fade off the tee exclusively, even when the hole calls for a draw. it's like he has no confidence in a draw right now, which is strange because I thought Foley's swing method actually encourages a draw. Hope he gets it worked out.

Originally Posted by jamo

Current Rankings for thesandtrap

Rank Player Projected Winner Tie-Breaker Answer Score

30 Locati, R Tiger Woods 23 23

792 brown, r Charl 16 20

1709 Harriff, D Tiger Woods 18 19

1709 Manzana, R Tiger Woods 17 19

2945 Barzeski, E Tiger Woods 31 18

2945 James, M Rory McIlroy 17 18

4524 Ho, S Rory McIlroy 2 17

4524 Jack, S Tiger Woods 17 17

4524 mc, j Luke Donald 17 17

4524 Wasem, J Sergio 20 17

4524 Weiss, J Luke Donald 18 17

6112 zwicks, z Zach 16 16

8785 Noland, D Rory McIlroy 18 13

oops.

At least I tied Lauren Thompson.

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Consider my bracket botched. Betting on golf is silly anyway. I'll use a 20 sided die next time and likely see better results.

Yep, I would have done far better just choosing the opposite of my picks.

But really, Luke? C'mon, #1 player in the world? Not anymore.

David

Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!