IGNORED

You don't have to carry that all day...

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Am I a homeless vagrant?  Hitchhiker?  Charity case?

My last two rounds, I've walked the entire 18 holes carrying my bag.  Both times I played with people who were riding.  Both times I was constantly offered rides, help, assistance, etc. like I was disabled or something.  They looked at me like they felt sorry for me--like I was mentally deficient because I wanted to walk.  (I assure you I have no problem keeping up.  I am always the first person to reach the next tee, and I'm usually the last person to hit my approach--so I'll be ready when it's my turn to hit.)

Excuse me, but I thought I was the one who was actually using my legs--not cruising around in a rambler like George Costanza when he faked a handicap to get better parking.

I have no beef with people who ride.  Why do the cart-bound think I'm mentally challenged because I choose to walk?

Rant over.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's nice to get a free ride, but I would pay for the cart if I really wanted to. It's annoying when I let people go before me on the first tee who have a cart, decline to join them because I;m walking, then get stuck behind them 3 holes later. Walking FTW.

I have a friend who plays with me, and asking him to walk 9, let alone 18, even with a pull cart, is like asking him to give up his firstborn child. He is willing to pay 40$ a round at a crappy course just to be lazy. No wonder he's overweight.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Maybe they were just trying to be courteous.  Perhaps they were being a little over-bearing by constantly offering, but I believe their hearts were in the right place.

• Upvote 1

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Originally Posted by k-troop

Why do the cart-bound think I'm mentally challenged because I choose to walk?

Rant over.

Because unless they are physically disabled they are mentally challenged and want company.

Carts are  for pansies unless you are disabled, elderly or playing in extreme heat.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

At the semi-private course I'm a member of we have a lot of walkers.  In fact most of the membership are walkers and most of the members who ride do so because of health related reasons.  It's pretty cool to see an overwhelming majority of players in club tournaments walking.

At the local muni where I also maintain membership the vast majority of players ride.  It's really unfortunate because this muni is an old course (1920's) and that means it's as walker friendly a layout as you will find, and yet most of the people who play there choose to ride.  I imagine this is a function of cost since green fees are $20 and the cart is only $10 extra.  But whenever I play there I always feel a little dismayed to see so many riders on a course that was expressly made for walking.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Originally Posted by Tomboys

Maybe they were just trying to be courteous.  Perhaps they were being a little over-bearing by constantly offering, but I believe their hearts were in the right place.

You are correct--they were just trying to be nice.  But it's the whole backwards mode of thinking:  they felt sorry for me because I was walking, and couldn't understand why I would want to walk.  This is fairly common, BTW, and it just recently occurred to me that it's really, really backwards.

If I was eating a big, delicious slice of New York pizza, would you sincerely offer to relieve me of the "burden" of eating it?  Of course not.  (You might want to relieve me of it, but not because you felt sorry for me.)  So why do people think I must be miserable walking a beautiful golf course on a sunny, 78 degree day in Hawaii?

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Yeah, this happens to me all the time too.

I agree with k-troop, most people are trying to be nice. The thing is, I really want to walk, but I try to accomodate by accepting an occasional ride if the next tee is a good distance away or there's a big hill. Don't want to seem too standoffish.

There are people who run 30-40-50-60 miles a week. There are people who are in crazy good shape and walking 18 in hot weather is still like, nothing. I don't think most people realize how finely tuned the human body can be.

I used to do alot of running and I once walked Bethpage Black, almost twice in a day, 34 holes, in 90+ degree high humidity. It wasn't that bad. America is out of shape.

You are correct--they were just trying to be nice.  But it's the whole backwards mode of thinking:  they felt sorry for me because I was walking, and couldn't understand why I would want to walk.  This is fairly common, BTW, and it just recently occurred to me that it's really, really backwards.

If I was eating a big, delicious slice of New York pizza, would you sincerely offer to relieve me of the "burden" of eating it?  Of course not.  (You might want to relieve me of it, but not because you felt sorry for me.)  So why do people think I must be miserable walking a beautiful golf course on a sunny, 78 degree day in Hawaii?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Because unless they are physically disabled they are mentally challenged and want company.

Carts are  for pansies unless you are disabled, elderly or playing in extreme heat.

What?  Why are people who ride in carts mentally challenged and pansies?

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I agree that the thinking tends to be backwards.  Maybe that's the reason for the obesity problem that currently plagues us in America.  I know that when I ride, I can interact more with my bud riding with me, so there's more opportunity to be social.  In contrast, when I walk, I have a greater feeling of solitude, so I take more notice of my surroundings and, like you said, enjoy the beauty of the course and the weather.  So, both have their benefits and I'll choose either or depending on my mood.

Now, if I could walk a beautiful course on a warm sunny day in Hawaii with a slice of NY pizza in hand, well, I may have just experienced golf utopia =).

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I agree!  I always walk and give my friends crap if they want to rent a cart.  If I'm paired up with a rider who seems otherwise healthy I will usually find a few occassions to make my opinion known as well.  Last time I was offered a ride, my answer was 'No thanks-  carts are for the old and sick'.  I said this, of course, with a huge grin on my face to make it seem like I was trying to make a joke . . but everybody knew I wasn't joking, lol.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

What?  Why are people who ride in carts mentally challenged and pansies?

Anyone who thinks that playing golf should involve riding in a cart in normal conditions isn't thinking right.

They aren't even gettting exercise.

Gerald Ford gave up golf, thinking he wasn't getting enough exercise. I'll bet he wasn't walking.

And when they think there's something wrong with a person walking, as stated in the OP, it's even worse.

I have only ever ridden in a cart where it is required and I avoid those courses after the first round.

Part of golf is walking - and it's one of the best parts of it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

So many kinds of pizza here in NYC. Pan, thin, artisanal, artichoke, etc... Artisanal pizzas have been popular recently. My favorite is still the original Patsy's.

Quote:

Now, if I could walk a beautiful course on a warm sunny day in Hawaii with a slice of NY pizza in hand, well, I may have just experienced golf utopia =).

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Perhaps it is because my home course is designed for riding that I rarely encounter such intolerance as is being expressed here.

You are welcome to walk my home course and some do. But there are five times during the round when the walk from green to tee is 10-15 minutes. And ever other time the walk is never short. If you are walking and I am riding, I will offer you a ride on those longest walks to the next tee. I don't think there is something wrong with you. I am not a pansy (been I while since I was in Jr. High so I'm not sure what that means anymore. I hope you didn't mean it the way it was used when I was in Jr. High). If you turn down the offer, that's fine. I'll meet you on the next tee. You're up.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by nevets88

Yeah, this happens to me all the time too.

I agree with k-troop, most people are trying to be nice. The thing is, I really want to walk, but I try to accomodate by accepting an occasional ride if the next tee is a good distance away or there's a big hill. Don't want to seem too standoffish.

There are people who run 30-40-50-60 miles a week. There are people who are in crazy good shape and walking 18 in hot weather is still like, nothing. I don't think most people realize how finely tuned the human body can be.

I used to do alot of running and I once walked Bethpage Black, almost twice in a day, 34 holes, in 90+ degree high humidity. It wasn't that bad. America is out of shape.

OK, how'd you manage to get onto Bethpage Black twice? I believe there is some sort of arcane procedure involving the sacrifice of young children and the worship of ancient, nameless Gods in order to get on there... Is it just a matter of being a single?

Also, this thread is now about NY pizza.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

If i get paired up with someone walking Ill off one time, a few holes in. If the decline no problem but I don't feel right not to offer. Some have taken me up on it others enjoy walking and I'm fine with either. It's a courtesy to offer, but I only do it once. I wouldn't nag someone to ride.

you people talking about how you only walk and that riding is for losers sound a lot like this guy:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Anyone who thinks that playing golf should involve riding in a cart in normal conditions isn't thinking right.

They aren't even gettting exercise.

Gerald Ford gave up golf, thinking he wasn't getting enough exercise. I'll bet he wasn't walking.

And when they think there's something wrong with a person walking, as stated in the OP, it's even worse.

I have only ever ridden in a cart where it is required and I avoid those courses after the first round.

Part of golf is walking - and it's one of the best parts of it.

Not everyone uses golf as their form of exercise.  I get plenty of exercise and am in very good shape, as are the guys I play with.  Most of the time we ride.  Never thought of any of us as pansies for it.  But, we're not 12 years old...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Note: This thread is 4410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!