IGNORED

You don't have to carry that all day...

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

Maybe if it's just you - but it's also true that there is nothing slower on this Earth than 4 really bad golfers in 2 carts.

Yes there is.  4 really bad golfers walking...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Shorty

Because one of the attractions of golf is getting a little closer to nature. If you want to be in a peaceful, beautiful place, it's best done on foot, not in a car.

Also, walking to your ball gives you time to think, plan and contemplate your next shot, rather than pulling up alongside it after zigzagging all over the place with your partner.

That is your opinion.  I can be one with nature, enjoy the beautiful place, in peace, riding in a cart.  If you need more time to think, that's your personal preference and issue with the game.

If you want to keep up this childish demeanor, I'll play along.  Anyone that has to walk a golf course to get their exercise are the real pansies.  You can walk a couple miles, and I'll get real exercise/workouts.  Walking a golf course all day is not a workout for anyone but pansies.

• Administrator

I ride. I still enjoy walking, but if you try to walk the course at which I play most frequently, well, it's not wise. I'm not a pansy, I'm not a wimp, I still enjoy being outdoors. In fact, I'll often walk from my approach shot to my ball on or near the green, and will walk at every reasonable opportunity that presents itself as well.

I don't care if people walk or ride in a cart. I do care when some people in carts drive them in inappropriate areas or don't look around (gas carts) to make sure they won't distract others.

I don't think you can make general or blanket statements about walkers or cart riders, given not only the differences between people but the differences between temperature, conditions, courses (layout, hills, policies, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're lucky, in my area the courses are packed on the weekend so you have to get a cart to help avoid slow play. Unless I'm willing to play hooky from work during a weekday, that is the only time you can walk the 18

Home course is a can-walk. No worries.

One of the courses we play here regularly would be an instant heart-attack walking. It's actually buggy only and for very good reason.

40 degrees centigrade plus in the Summer and humidity approaching 85 - 90%. Walking would be out of the question for me on that one, despite my preference for walking where possible.

After a round there in the Summer, the first cold one doesn't even hit the sides.....

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Yes there is.  4 really bad golfers walking...

Actually no . . 4 really bad golfers walking are much faster than they would be in carts.  Bad golfers (such as myself) hit it all over the place and no 2 balls are likely to end up near each other.  If all are walking they can all just walk to thier balls.  If riding they have to go first to one, then the other.

As a really bad golfer who hates slow play and who has played with other really bad golfers, I speak from experience on this.

Actually no . . 4 really bad golfers walking are much faster than they would be in carts.  Bad golfers (such as myself) hit it all over the place and no 2 balls are likely to end up near each other.  If all are walking they can all just walk to thier balls.  If riding they have to go first to one, then the other.

As a really bad golfer who hates slow play and who has played with other really bad golfers, I speak from experience on this.

Well, you're not the only one with experience on this.  I guess ours differs.  Again, it depends on how they play.  I've seen plenty of walkers not play "ready golf" and essentially wait for each player to hit every shot.  When there are 4 bad golfers, not many are willing to get out in front of the first to hit, so they end up hitting one at a time in most cases anyway.  All things being equal, even with sporadic shots, riding is faster than walking if everyone plays "fast" and/or "ready golf".

Actually no . . 4 really bad golfers walking are much faster than they would be in carts.  Bad golfers (such as myself) hit it all over the place and no 2 balls are likely to end up near each other.  If all are walking they can all just walk to thier balls.  If riding they have to go first to one, then the other.    As a really bad golfer who hates slow play and who has played with other really bad golfers, I speak from experience on this.

I think this is true for some people (myself included), but some just simply cannot walk fast. Making blanket statements is pointless.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jamo

I think this is true for some people (myself included), but some just simply cannot walk fast. Making blanket statements is pointless.

Some people might say that posting on golf forums at all is pointless.  But other than the infermed or very slow walkers . . 4 erratic golfers will play faster if they walk vs ride.  I guess we will never be able to set up time trials and resolve this once and for all but you can imagine this scenario:

4 players hit tee shots.  1 goes short right, 1 goes near the OB left, 1 finds the fairway and 1 goes long right.

If everybody just walked out to thier ball they could all pretty much hit right away with nobody needing to worry about getting hit by anybody else.  They each follow a straight path to thier ball but the other 3 stop walking while the golfer who is short right hits - and then they all continue to thier balls.  You never actually walk in front of the person hitting.

Now lets say one or 2 of these guys lost thier balls and you can easily see it will take longer if they are tethered together.  If they were walking, one could be searching for the ball while the other hit.  Not to mention they are less likely to lose balls if they are walking because they can walk straight out to thier tee shots keeping eyes on it the whole time.  That is to say, if there are 2 guys in a cart and both hit potentially lost balls, the second guy has less chance of finding his ball because he has to stop at the first guy's location first.

You can mitigate some of this with clever cart planning and dropping players off at thier ball, etc, etc . .but I would bet money that if we could actually set up this experiment with, say 100 foursomes (of regular speed walkers), at least 95 are going to be faster walking.

. .but I would bet money that if we could actually set up this experiment with, say 100 foursomes (of regular speed walkers), at least 95 are going to be faster walking.

I'll take that bet. Put my $100 on the carts.

Quote:

... Making blanket statements is pointless.

I agree. All blanket statements are pointless. Every one of them. 100% pointless.

And by the way, can we agree to stop using the "p" word to describe weak people. Being very uncool and older, I looked it up and it is in fact also (still) a derogatory slur toward homosexuals. I'm sure that was not the intended use but, given the multiple definitions and the badness of at least one definition, it is still a poor choice. I think he meant "whips" and that word is offensive only in the way it was intended to be.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I too have a buddy that will not walk a course, theres even a short 9 holer close thats perfect for walking, still wont.

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

I live in a college town, and the university uses the municipal course for "their" golf classes.  I use my "Sunday" bag and walk.  Those college students load up on the golf carts like storm troopers on Panzers.  It really irritates me.  But other than that I have never thought twice about people using, or not using carts.  And, I guess where I live the Volken aren't very firendly because no one has offered me a ride yet.

Maybe if it's just you - but it's also true that there is nothing slower on this Earth than 4 really bad golfers in 2 carts.

Amen

Originally Posted by anthony

Quote:

Amen

Last time I played in a cart, there were 3 of us and we each had our own cart. That was tolerable.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!