IGNORED

Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)

mvmac

Sorry forgot to reply in my post up above so that you would get notification.  I have some posture issues correct?

Yes, you do not want that much curve in your lower back.

I would stand in front of a mirror and work on getting your posture more like what was described in the first post on this thread.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture-how-to-address-the-golf-ball#post_684823

Using a mirror you can work on what it feels like to have less curve in the lower back.

I would also work on getting your chin closer to your chest. Your head is too raised up, you do not want to look down the bridge of your nose at the ball.

A1 Palmer and Dustin Johnson.jpg

Dustin Johnson on the right. Probably the most freakish athlete on the PGA Tour, has a very comfortable set up position. Lower back is not arched. Upper back is not pulled back. Eyes are looking at the ball with the head more down. He is in a great position to make a golf swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I suffer from the S-Posture problem....Have noticed at times my back is killing me after a round. Sorry for the dark pic but this looks bad to me after reading this thread.

Thoughts?

Yeah, please stop doing that ;-)

Going to feel like your tailbone is "tucked" under you. You can also refer to the drill in the first post.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah, please stop doing that ;-) Going to feel like your tailbone is "tucked" under you. You can also refer to the drill in the first post.

Can this work by just activating the abs and pulling them toward the spine? . I'm afraid I'll over do it without a mirror.

Well tried the trick to end my S Posture and I like it. No strain on my back but now I have to deal with no standing up a bit on the downswing. From what I read I had no option but to stand up coming down with the S posture so I think I'm still doing it especially with the irons. Can't wait to see where this takes me.

Can this work by just activating the abs and pulling them toward the spine? . I'm afraid I'll over do it without a mirror.

I can't say for sure, does activating your abs change the picture? Check out those drills I have in the first post.

Well tried the trick to end my S Posture and I like it. No strain on my back but now I have to deal with no standing up a bit on the downswing. From what I read I had no option but to stand up coming down with the S posture so I think I'm still doing it especially with the irons. Can't wait to see where this takes me.

Feel free to start a Swing Thread and post up your posture and swing.

Mike McLoughlin

"The more upright a person is, the less they have to contend with balance and the easier it is to perform the body movements. "

I can probably agree with the former part, but easier to perform the golf swing when upright does not seem totally correct to me. For me, much more difficult to get the hips in action when too upright. I have heard tell of the 'Rotary Swing' but know little of it.  Whatever it takes for me to get the hips firing first seems beneficial. Upright stance seems to bring me out of balance when turning.

"The more upright a person is, the less they have to contend with balance and the easier it is to perform the body movements" "

Where is this from? I disagree. More upright doesn't automaticlaly improve balance or the pivot.

Mike McLoughlin

Sorry, no further knowledge or citation possible but i heard it on TV, probably a commentator on ladies or Asian Tour.  .

But i think we all can agree that the least muscular effort needed to maintain any posture, the longer and stronger that posture can be kept.

There are some differences found between simply maintaining balance while static, and keeping in good balance while golfing. One can find some argument that since more upright is naturally more stabile, then less bending while golfing means more stabile, compared to more bending.

But as you say Mike, too upright makes some movements more difficult.  Seems some compromise in needed to achieve golf results.  And individuals vary in weight distribution, height, gender, age, etc which affects posture and strength.

But i think we all can agree that the least muscular effort needed to maintain any posture, the longer and stronger that posture can be kept.

True standing up right takes the least amount of effort, but you are not holding the set up position for any significant time that would require any real strenuous effort. You get in your set up position and hold it for what, 5-10 seconds.

There are some differences found between simply maintaining balance while static, and keeping in good balance while golfing. One can find some argument that since more upright is naturally more stabile, then less bending while golfing means more stabile, compared to more bending.

I think you are more in balance in an golf posture then you are when you are standing more upright.

Stand up straight and then have someone push you over from the front or back. You would probably have to really catch yourself or you would be hitting the ground. Then get into a good golf posture, I bet you would be able to resist being pushed much easier.

But as you say Mike, too upright makes some movements more difficult.  Seems some compromise in needed to achieve golf results.  And individuals vary in weight distribution, height, gender, age, etc which affects posture and strength.

Here's the thing, Mike isn't explaining a golf posture that is at one extreme. Given the golfer's incline of their spin varies from golfer to golfer, but nothing here in this thread is an extreme case. It already is the compromise because it is just stating one or two things that make the golf swing easier to do. It isn't requiring a golfer to set up at certain exact angles.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

But i think we all can agree that the least muscular effort needed to maintain any posture, the longer and stronger that posture can be kept. [SIZE=13px]There are some differences found between simply maintaining balance while static, and keeping in good balance while golfing. One can find some argument that since more upright is naturally more stabile, then less bending while golfing means more stabile, compared to more bending.[/SIZE]

Well there isn't really a need to statically maintain our posture for very long. I agree it shouldn't be a strain on the body, reason I prefer a "slumped" look, not sticking the butt out and having the feet turned out. Like I said in the OP, there is good standing posture and good golf posture. I think the same can be true for being "stable". Remember the point is to set-up in a position that helps us hit an object that is on the ground. I like the example Matt gave, if someone were to give you a little push while in your golf posture you shouldn't have to re-adjust yourself. [quote name="joekelly" url="/t/56069/good-golf-posture-how-to-address-the-golf-ball/210#post_1079173"] But as you say Mike, too upright makes some movements more difficult.  Seems some compromise in needed to achieve golf results.  And individuals vary in weight distribution, height, gender, age, etc which affects posture and strength.  [/quote] Yes and I think the compromise is the information I've provided in this thread. Bending over 10 degrees would be too little and bending over 60 degrees would be too much. I don't recommend a specific measurement because everyone will be a little different but I think there are certain commonalities good golfer demonstrate at address and a couple things that can help your swing.

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

I took my first lesson after 5 years of playing golf.  The thing that I was most guilty of was that my left shoulder was lower than my right one at address.  That caused a lot of other things to be misaligned.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

The thing that I was most guilty of was that my left shoulder was lower than my right one at address.  That caused a lot of other things to be misaligned.

Yeah, don't do that ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 months later...

Interesting thread!  After playing golf for a long time, albeit never very successfully, I recently took my first lessons at a Golf Tec facility.  After making some swings on video, the very 1st thing he did was to start changing my posture.  He wants my posture to fit with the tour professionals postures.  My posture was at about 45 degree (above) and he wanted me to work at getting it to a 14 degree.  I could barely hold onto the end of the club to get it close to the ground!  I feel like he's trying to get me to fit a mold.  I have absolutely no aspiratoins of playing professionally, just looking for tweaks to get better consistency.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

Interesting thread!  After playing golf for a long time, albeit never very successfully, I recently took my first lessons at a Golf Tec facility.  After making some swings on video, the very 1st thing he did was to start changing my posture.  He wants my posture to fit with the tour professionals postures.  My posture was at about 45 degree (above) and he wanted me to work at getting it to a 14 degree.  I could barely hold onto the end of the club to get it close to the ground!  I feel like he's trying to get me to fit a mold.  I have absolutely no aspiratoins of playing professionally, just looking for tweaks to get better consistency.

I'm not sure how they get 14 degrees, that's way too upright IMO.

Trying to get to an exact number is a bit silly, everyone is going to be a little different, there is no magical PGA Tour posture number.

With your posture @djfajt71 I'd get your eyes down more (compare yourself against the pics I posted) and get you more balanced. Looks like your weight is too much on your heels, which could just be an effect of trying to only bend over 14 degrees.

Mike McLoughlin