IGNORED

Tiger Injures Achilles Tendon

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by zipazoid

He deserves no medals for not withdrawing. He just doesn't deserve to be called a quitter.

Agreed.  As he get older and wiser he should maybe consider the pre-round WD.

Not sure why more players don't do it. Tennis players do it all the time, especially leading up to a major and they never seem to get to much heat. Then again I don't frequent tennis forums so I could be wrong.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The Waffle House waitresses in Palm Harbor will be devestated he won't be coming to Inverness.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Not to belabor a point (when would I ever do that?), but your example isn't really analogous.  An analogous example would be going to the test, discovering that you couldn't figure out the answers, and only at that point determining that your illness was so severe that you couldn't continue.  So you quit the test halfway through and invoke your school's medical excusal policy.

Regardless, the only one who was calling him a quitter here was me, and I've conceded that my judgment was too harsh.

[quote name="bplewis24" url="/t/56295/tiger-injures-achilles-tendon/54#post_688514"]

I personally think it's pointless to argue with them or get too worked up over it.  If you didn't see that the "quitter, crybaby, faker" accusations were going to be thrown around the moment he withdrew then you are giving some of these folks way too much credit.  And there isn't much you can point out to change their minds, if anything.

Brandon

[/quote] I know.. I wasn't fired up at all about it. Okay, maybe a little annoyed. And I was speaking more in regards to the tiger haters and their outrageous tangents they go on. They get so worked up about every move this guy makes...it's so pathetic! Oh well...I'm done commenting on anything that has to do with Tiger Hating. There is no point! And like I said, I am not even that big of a fan. Do I like to watch him play golf? Of course...how can't you? But I am not gonna give myself an aneurysm every time he comes in 3rd instead of first or drops an f bomb after he misses a putt. And its unbelievable that peope think he is done because he hasn't won yet. And these are the same people that say "It is so hard to win on the tour these days" It drives me nuts!! He has been hurt for two years and was in a nasty divorce! And he was barely playing...winning percentages will probably go down when you aren't playing as much and hurt when you do. And he was hurt physically and mentally. See, here I go again! I'm done this time....I promise. I am just as bad about hating the haters as the haters are about hating tiger. ha ha

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

I am just as bad about hating the haters as the haters are about hating tiger. ha ha

I can sum this up in 3 words:

4.jpg

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by BugDude

The Waffle House waitresses in Palm Harbor will be devestated he won't be coming to Inverness.

For crying out loud.

Is the 3rd grade "humour" ever going to stop?

Talk about a joke getting old...... well over a year ago.......

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

This is just another in the list of injuries he has sustained and most likely will continue to sustain and endure.
It's the results of an individual or even combination of things: daily over use, over-training or just general wear-and-tear of the body breaking down from age.

Depending on your view, it may also tie-in with the discontinued use of illegal substances used in professional sports. A lot of people will laugh or ignore this, a lot will agree with the fact that it is also consistant with professional athletes that have used certain drugs and procedures. (and continue to do so: Tennis, for example, is definately a sport newly under-the-microscope when it comes to PEDs and HGHs, re: Djokovic, Nadal, etc)
With Woods, we cannot 100% rule it out as a possibility because of his association and subsequent documented treatment by a known Doctor that was recently convicted of not only possession of HGH & other illegal subatances but also illegal activity of this nature.

And as far as Woods continued, resulting arrogance goes, quite honestly does anyone find anything he says big or small, believable now?
Only fools or blind-fans would do so.

He's a superb golfer, maybe the best we'll ever see and he has had a remarkable ride...but what he accomplished before has no relevance on what he will do tomorrow.
There is an entire new group of golfers that have trained not only in the gym, but also what to do and what to say and how to act.

If we are being totally honest, this perfectly captures how a much larger % of people feel about golf now, regardless of whether 'Tiger's still the Face of Golf' or 'No-one 'moves the needle' like Tiger still'.

Fact is, I think all the answers all there and people just don't want to believe what they see. We've seen the rise and fall of enough mega-athletes yet to know how these stories go.

And we all know how the story's going to end in this one...

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by RichF

Depending on your view, it may also tie-in with the discontinued use of illegal substances used in professional sports. A lot of people will laugh or ignore this, a lot will agree with the fact that it is also consistant with professional athletes that have used certain drugs and procedures.

It's actually more consistent with getting old(er).

I wonder how Dave Toms feels about this?  How often has this accusation been levied his direction?

Brandon

Originally Posted by bplewis24

It's actually more consistent with getting old(er).

I wonder how Dave Toms feels about this?  How often has this accusation been levied his direction?

Brandon

That's pretty much it or at least all that can be proven at this time. He had a swing that predisposed him to leg injuries and it just gets harder to overcome these things the older you get. These armchair physicians blaming 'bulking up", "monster workouts" or "use of peds" are just speculating and shouldn't quit their day job, if they have one. And believe me, I have no love for Tiger, just think all these theories are silly.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

If we are being totally honest, this perfectly captures how a much larger % of people feel about golf now, regardless of whether 'Tiger's still the Face of Golf' or 'No-one 'moves the needle' like Tiger still'.

Tough to decide whether to go with your opinion, or the actual attendance figures and TV ratings.

• Upvote 1

Quote:

Tough to decide whether to go with your opinion, or the actual attendance figures and TV ratings.

True...I don't have any proof whatsoever and you have no figures.

But yeah, I agree the PGA Tour needs a healthy Tiger...not a shot Tiger who shows glimpses of brilliance amongst lacklustre rounds.

That 62 definately raised everyone's interest again...until:

Quote:

He had a swing that predisposed him to leg injuries and it just gets harder to overcome these things the older you get. These armchair physicians blaming 'bulking up", "monster workouts" or "use of peds" are just speculating and shouldn't quit their day job, if they have one. And believe me, I have no love for Tiger, just think all these theories are silly.

Well, I don't think it's that silly as in 'it couldn't possibly be true' type-silly?

As in 'he was practising his game all that time, being the loving husband and not boning every woman he laid eyes on'?

As in 'sure, his injuries come directly from golf and not running in combat boots or parachuting and training with Navy SEALs?'

Hard to really say isn't it? Based on what we now know.

Regardless, it's one of two options:
1 - He's hurt much more than he admits and will miss significant time
2 - He felt some pain, and due to recent history of injuries, is being top-cautious

But hold on, if it's #1, why would he be casually hopping into a cart, off into a car and then a day or two later, it's okay for him to be hitting balls a few days later and talking about playing golf?
And if it's #2, you'd hope he won't play at the Tavistock Cup or even Bay Hill.

I mean we need him to be fit for The Masters'.... right ?

The plot thickens...

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

We'll never know if Tiger used PED's, anything is possible, but I don't think his injuries can be used to prove anything other than his swing placed extreme stress on his left knee and leg.  I don't go around and accuse every athlete that's torn an ACL or blown an achilles that they are on PED's, so I won't do it to Tiger either.  Bring proof or let the PED's issue go, it takes away from the valid points you make.

I agree there are guys like Rory, K. Bradley, Fowler and a few others that have the potential to take Tigers place and they do currently have a much better relationship with the media than Tiger does.  Let's see how they handle the media when they are the face of golf and not the up and comer.  Every golfer interviewed these days is asked a question about Tiger.  I don't hear the media asking Tiger about other golfers other than Phil and Rory.  Tiger is the story every week in golf, his success, books about him, his failures, his withdrawals, his putting, his drives, etc.  Rory seems like a great kid, but let's see how he handles that type of pressure when everything he does is under the microscope.    Tiger isn't the first and won't be the last to start out as a media darling and then be at odds with them.  Ask A-Rod how he feels about the NY press these days.

Tiger has definitely peaked and is on the downside of his career.  How many wins and how long he competes will be determined by his physical and mental health.  I don't think Tiger is one of those guys that will go out just to finish Top 20.  If Tiger doesn't believe that he has a chance to win, he'll retire and he's said as much when asked.  If Rory or one of the other guys is ready to be the face of golf we'll see how it plays out.  Rory in a way should be grateful, as long as Tiger is in golf, he's going to stay under the radar and more able to prepare for tournaments.

Originally Posted by RichF

This is just another in the list of injuries he has sustained and most likely will continue to sustain and endure.

It's the results of an individual or even combination of things: daily over use, over-training or just general wear-and-tear of the body breaking down from age.

Depending on your view, it may also tie-in with the discontinued use of illegal substances used in professional sports. A lot of people will laugh or ignore this, a lot will agree with the fact that it is also consistant with professional athletes that have used certain drugs and procedures. (and continue to do so: Tennis, for example, is definately a sport newly under-the-microscope when it comes to PEDs and HGHs, re: Djokovic, Nadal, etc)

With Woods, we cannot 100% rule it out as a possibility because of his association and subsequent documented treatment by a known Doctor that was recently convicted of not only possession of HGH & other illegal subatances but also illegal activity of this nature.

And as far as Woods continued, resulting arrogance goes, quite honestly does anyone find anything he says big or small, believable now?

Only fools or blind-fans would do so.

He's a superb golfer, maybe the best we'll ever see and he has had a remarkable ride...but what he accomplished before has no relevance on what he will do tomorrow.

There is an entire new group of golfers that have trained not only in the gym, but also what to do and what to say and how to act.

Fact is, I think all the answers all there and people just don't want to believe what they see. We've seen the rise and fall of enough mega-athletes yet to know how these stories go.

And we all know how the story's going to end in this one...

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

K. Bradley

I'd honestly be surprised if Keegan had the disposition to be the face of golf.  He throws fits as bad as just about anybody I've ever seen.  Or at least he did this weekend.  And given his personality quirks, I don't think that was an aberration.  That's purely my own speculation based on my observations, of course.

Brandon

I agree, but his play thus far would indicate he's going to be one of the better players going forward so that's why I included him.  I also think he handled the spitting incident well by admitting it was a problem and making the effort to resolve it.

I think Fowler would handle the pressure well, but I'm not sure he has the game to compete with Rory, Keegan or some others at this point.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'd honestly be surprised if Keegan had the disposition to be the face of golf.  He throws fits as bad as just about anybody I've ever seen.  Or at least he did this weekend.  And given his personality quirks, I don't think that was an aberration.  That's purely my own speculation based on my observations, of course.

Brandon

Joe Paradiso

For what it is worth, smart ass, I live in the area and frequent the Waffle House in Palm Harbor and that is all they have talked about for weeks...and they literally will be devastated that he isn't coming.  The irony of it is where the humor comes into play.

Originally Posted by Shorty

For crying out loud.

Is the 3rd grade "humour" ever going to stop?

Talk about a joke getting old...... well over a year ago.......

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

I think he is just being careful and decided it is just not worth the risk.  It doesn't take much to seriously injure yourself once you start feeling things are not right, and to be honest I think Tiger is only interested in winning, so anything less was simply not worth the risk.  Previously he did play through a serious injury and won, but that was a Major and he probably did a lot of damage that hurt him in the long run.  What is certain is that he still has the "game" to come back and dominate and his game was really starting to get some consistency.  His weakness was his short game, which ironically was his strength early in his career.  Short game usually improves with more play, and his stats there were improving round by round.  I think now Tiger is all about majors and all other tournaments for him are just practice rounds for the Majors.  He really really wants to break Jack's record and that puts a lot of pressure on him ... once he does that (if he does) I think we will see his best golf.

Originally Posted by walk18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by walk18

My theory is that all these injuries are at least partially from working out, lifting very heavy weights. You can easily tear the Achilles trying to squat or dead lift too much weight. Tiger's always been such a gym rat, and it wasn't necessary for golf. He wanted to be huge, but now he's ruined his body. He hit it plenty long when he used to be skinny.

Running has always been listed as the likely culprit for all Tiger's leg maladies. I can attest to this as someone who has been working out with heavy weights for 20+ years and is also a runner. All my leg injuries (knee, hamstring, achilles and plantar fasciitis), have been the direct result of running. I have never had a lower body injury as the result of squats or deadlifts. The doctor told me on numerous occasions to stop running on pavement, but never told me to curtail my lifting activities.

I can only guess that you weren't squatting obscene amounts of weight, because a golfing buddy of mine tore both his doing exactly that. Though I will agree that running on pavement can be tough on you as well.

Yes I agree.

I'm not surprised Tiger has had lots of nagging injuries. At 25yo, most have reached musculoskeletal maturity (won't grow taller, have reached peak bone mass/muscle mass) Here's Tiger at 25yo [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/237974/width/225/height/225][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/237974/width/225/height/225[/IMG][/URL] Tiger at 35yo [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/237975/width/203/height/248][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/237975/width/203/height/248[/IMG][/URL] Jack at 25yo [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/237976/width/254/height/199][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/237976/width/254/height/199[/IMG][/URL] Jack at 35yo [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/237977/width/190/height/266][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/237977/width/190/height/266[/IMG][/URL] Jack did it right, he got more lean after reaching skeletal maturity. Tiger has added more mass, resulting in tendon/ligament stress.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I don't think that is an accurate depiction of why he is having problems. Its not like Tiger is HUUUGE. He has a some good lean mass, looks athletic.I wouldn't say he put on so much mass its going to negatively affect his entire body in such a way.

Originally Posted by uttexas

I'm not surprised Tiger has had lots of nagging injuries. At 25yo, most have reached musculoskeletal maturity (won't grow taller, have reached peak bone mass/muscle mass)

Here's Tiger at 25yo

Tiger at 35yo

Jack at 25yo

Jack at 35yo

Jack did it right, he got more lean after reaching skeletal maturity. Tiger has added more mass, resulting in tendon/ligament stress.

Note: This thread is 4421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!