IGNORED

The 2012 Masters Discussion Thread

xxsoultonesxx
Note: This thread is 4408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Absolutely unbelievabel Masters. My heart broke for Louis. But I think he played unreal golf yesterday. Can't believe that putt on 18 and 10 didn't go in.

I have big love for Bubba though, incredible talent, deserved win.

Originally Posted by Shorty

THey should put a plaque on the ground there.

I'd love to actually know that I could walk to the exact spot if ever I go there.

I would bet that next year, every player will walk down there during their first practice round to have a look.

I don't think they need to go that far. There are miraculous shots hit all the time. Is there a plaque in the pine straw on 13 where Phil hit his amazing shot in 2010?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The problem I see with putting a plaque where Bubba hit from is that he'd then have to hit it off the plaque next time .... not that he couldn't hit it off the plaque ...

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Maybe if Bubba had holed it, you could erect some sort of marker.

Great final round. Certainly not the greatest finish ever, but up there.

I'm still trying to get my mind around the shot Bubba hit - approximately where on 10 he was & how much he had to curve it. Anyone got a graphic on that?

I would expect it to be on Ebay tomorrow, especially if Oostie wins.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters12/story/_/id/7789839/2012-masters-fan-gives-ball-louis-oosthuizen-double-eagle-augusta-national Looks like ANGC got to him first. "Club officials declined to divulge whatever arrangement was made for the ball."

Originally Posted by brocks

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters12/story/_/id/7789839/2012-masters-fan-gives-ball-louis-oosthuizen-double-eagle-augusta-national

Looks like ANGC got to him first. "Club officials declined to divulge whatever arrangement was made for the ball."

The other thing I was thinking of, is the second that ball hit ebay, there would be 20 copycats. Just grab a ProV1-X, mark the ball the same way, and boom! you have your own oostie ball -.-

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

The other thing I was thinking of, is the second that ball hit ebay, there would be 20 copycats. Just grab a ProV1-X, mark the ball the same way, and boom! you have your own oostie ball -.-

I would guess that he is now the proud owner of a lifetime pass to the Masters.

You have to wonder what would have happened if Phil had taken his medicine on 4 and reteed, instead of hacking it around in the bushes. As good as he is, he might have gotten out of there with a four instead of a six, and been in the playoff.

I don't think the decision to play it from the bushes changed the outcome for Phil on that hole.  There was only 1 birdie on 4 yesterday, and that green was playing really firm in the afternoon.  We saw a few guys hit the front of the green in perfect position, but nobody could stop it inside 35-40 feet.  Realistically, he probably would have made 5 from the tee, and 6 was still a legit possibility.  I'm sure that he was thinking 5 was the worst that he could do from the bush--and, in fact, 1 more yard on the flop shot and he would have made 5.

Now, I'm sure that hitting 4 shots in a row from within 30 yards, when you're in the final pairing on Sunday at the Masters, is mentally devastating.  Not sure what, if any, impact that had on the outcome.  All he needed to do was hole a couple of putts, and he certainly had several opportunities.  Did anyone notice that Phil was missing all of his putts left?  Even on the putting green before the round, he missed like 4/8 putts right before he went to the tee, all left of the hole.  And the putts he missed in the first 5 or 6 holes were all left.  I think his alignment was off.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

But the other point maybe about Phil Mickelson's decision at 4 is that he came very close to hitting his ball into himself on the first try. The second try wasn't all that much better except for the fact that it finally got him clear enough to have an actual swing. He took 2 risky righthanded swings were he could have quite realistically picked up penalty strokes.

Going back to the tee wasn't any great option either, that pin position was brutally difficult.

It's one of those cases either option is about as appealing as licking a dirty toilet.

I would guess that he is now the proud owner of a lifetime pass to the Masters.

Plus, if he is a golfer, a round of golf at ANGC.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

One guy I really feel for this week is Westwood.  He is an absolutely amazing iron player, and he hit more quality approaches this week than anyone.  He missed some very makeable putts on Friday and Saturday, including a putt from about a foot that looped the hole.  He had four or five putts yesterday that touched the hole, or broke out just at the last second.  Tee to green, I think he won this tourney by a mile.

Yesterday, Lee earned the sadistic distinction of "most top-3 finishes in major championships by a non-major winner."  7 times the bridesmaid, never the bride.  And Sergio is the one who was crying?  It's hard for me not to root for Lee these days.

Kevin

Originally Posted by MSchott

I don't think they need to go that far. There are miraculous shots hit all the time. Is there a plaque in the pine straw on 13 where Phil hit his amazing shot in 2010?

I certainly hope not, seeing as he didn't even make the putt.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSchott

I certainly hope not, seeing as he didn't even make the putt.

Brandon

And Bubba didn't make his putt either, so no for both.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

And Bubba didn't make his putt either, so no for both.

In my defense, I haven't seen the final round yet because I was out playing/practicing.  I'll try and catch a replay that I assume will be coming on soon?  It should be on my DVR also.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

In my defense, I haven't seen the final round yet because I was out playing/practicing.  I'll try and catch a replay that I assume will be coming on soon?  It should be on my DVR also.

Brandon

Unless you set your DVR to keep recording for an hour after the scheduled end time, you won't get the finish.  I was at the beach yesterday morning; my DVR cut off when Phil and Hanson were on 18.  Yeah, I'm an IDIOT.

Kevin

Originally Posted by k-troop

One guy I really feel for this week is Westwood.  He is an absolutely amazing iron player, and he hit more quality approaches this week than anyone.  He missed some very makeable putts on Friday and Saturday, including a putt from about a foot that looped the hole.  He had four or five putts yesterday that touched the hole, or broke out just at the last second.  Tee to green, I think he won this tourney by a mile.

Yesterday, Lee earned the sadistic distinction of "most top-3 finishes in major championships by a non-major winner."  7 times the bridesmaid, never the bride.  And Sergio is the one who was crying?  It's hard for me not to root for Lee these days.

Lee was definitely the best player tee to green, by a country mile. He burned the hole with so many putts, but unfortunately missed some ridiculous putts too that cost him in the end. If he had putted like louis did yesterday on staurday and sunday he would have won by 4 or 5 shots!

Lee was definitely the best player tee to green, by a country mile. He burned the hole with so many putts, but unfortunately missed some ridiculous putts too that cost him in the end. If he had putted like louis did yesterday on staurday and sunday he would have won by 4 or 5 shots!

Is this your opinion or are there some stats out there to look at? I really miss Shot Tracker and the stats we get on regular tour events. I like to look at fairways hit, GIR, putts, left or right tendencies etc.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!