IGNORED

How did you fix your slice?

lostmyballs
Note: This thread is 2493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a big guy...6'6" and haven't weighed under 300 lbs since I was in college playing football...offensive lineman.  I always loved playing golf though and I also had a horrible slice with my woods.  My Junior year in college I took a series of lessons from the pro at the course I played at all the time...who was also a pretty big guy.  He taught me how to use my size to my advantage...as I was swinging way too hard, and my grip more resembled the grip I used playing baseball.  So after a few lessons I learned how to properly grip the club...with the right amount of tension...as I was gripping the club like I was trying to strangle the club.  I also learned that I didn't have to swing so hard to get distance.  During all my years of playing I still struggled with a slice from time to time, and always went back to his teachings and I would start hitting the ball straight again.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Where else would the club head be after impact?

Hey, maybe he was referring to performing a "toe" shot on the ball, launching it 180° into a tree, with the curvature of the tree sending the ball forward in motion!

lol

If you swing around your body you're going to have a hard time getting the ball to start straight and go straight.  Even if you try to swing from inside out.  If you get the face closed enough you'll hit straight pulls,  even more closed and you'll hit pull hooks. swingaroundbody.jpg

If you swing around the left shoulder and move the left shoulder ahead of the ball it will make it much easier to get the path going more to the right.  Then with a clubface slightly closed to the path you can hit a draw.

swingaroundleftarm.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Most guys slice because the weight isn't enough forward and the handle is too far back at impact with the elbows separating.  That and people think you have to roll or release the club to put some kind of side spin on the ball.

This is what a slicer and a guy that draws it looks like at impact

This is a great way to address the ball to help draw the ball.

This is a good drill to get the hands forward.  Do this drill like Erik is and it's almost impossible to not draw it.

Thank YOU - is all I really gotta say - I know this is a bit dated but saw it yesterday and gave the drill a shot at the range and got some great results

I am a self taught golfer and when I really started getting into it I discovered S&T; and got pretty good with it but never really got the driver under control.

Then I watched every Paul Wilson got pretty good with it but lacked real power. Went wandering and am now here.

Pretty much ready to get real lessons soon - but want to work on this more before starting!

Titelist 910 D2
r7 draw irons
Seemore FGP
lots of different balls

I've heard it said that 90% of all golfers struggle with a slice at some point in their golfing careers.

My question is, when that time came for you, how did you deal with it? What advice would you give to a younger version of yourself when that slice first surfaced?

stack and tilt swing - its a slice fixer.

Head centered, weight forward on downswing.    Leaning back on downswing = slice city ... gotta keep weight forward.

Slow the tempo down - keep under complete control.

Creeps back from time to time, but when it does, I can fix it by applying the above simple thoughts.    If I really lose one bad to the right, it's because of a lazy right hand - for me, I must keep firm finger tension on right hand so I don't leave the club face open

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Career round today 76!!! only broken 80 w 79 twice in my life.

Put two things I learned HERE into play today.

Set up as usual then really pushed my hips toward target

kept left arm connected (somebody said squeeze a cigar?)

Just a great day!! felt like I wasnt swing so hard, great for chips, great the one time I was in the trap and some sweet putting didn't hurt.

I had never hit the ball so high, but it was crisp and stayed on line very well.

ONCE AGAIN THANKS!!! to all you experts that share!! appreciate it!

Cant wait to play again tomorrow!

Titelist 910 D2
r7 draw irons
Seemore FGP
lots of different balls

MVMAC

I read your stuff twice and practiced all the drills you shared

Sweet, keep up the good work!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Aim 30 yards left!

I know Flappy is joking, aiming more left usually makes the problem worse.  You're just rotating your swing direction more to the left.  With some players aiming a little left can help a player swing out to the right more.  This is rare imo.  They will "instinctually" swing away from where they're aimed.

Mike McLoughlin

I know Flappy is joking, aiming more left usually makes the problem worse.  You're just rotating your swing direction more to the left.  With some players aiming a little left can help a player swing out to the right more.  This is rare imo.  They will "instinctually" swing away from where they're aimed.

A kid on my golf team always hit a massive fade. Always aims left. Worked for him.

If you are in control of your swing and can repeat it no matter where you are aiming, doing so shouldn't matter.

• Administrator
A kid on my golf team always hit a massive fade. Always aims left. Worked for him.

If you are in control of your swing and can repeat it no matter where you are aiming, doing so shouldn't matter.

That's not "fixing" your slice, it's "accommodating" it. Good luck on a tight driving hole with a chute off the tee. And the more your ball curves, the worse you are at translating clubhead speed into ball speed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm really glad this thread got bumped. A lot of the drills and thoughts here are things that I need to focus on, since I tend to still slice at times. With me, it's either too fast of a tempo and I get all armsy, or I fake my weight forward. I'm especially bad with the driver on that one. I've got a lot of inside/mirror work to do this winter, and a lot of the tips from this thread (and the 5SK vid thread) will be played and worked on repeatedly.

Russ B.

I'm really glad this thread got bumped. A lot of the drills and thoughts here are things that I need to focus on, since I tend to still slice at times. With me, it's either too fast of a tempo and I get all armsy, or I fake my weight forward. I'm especially bad with the driver on that one. I've got a lot of inside/mirror work to do this winter, and a lot of the tips from this thread (and the 5SK vid thread) will be played and worked on repeatedly.

When you do the mirror work make sure you make slow swings.  To really get a good feel for Key#2 try to copy the left pic in the mirror, flex the left knee past the left ankle.  The player featured is doing mapping swing, not full motion, he's stopping at certain positions.  That's why the pic is so exaggerated but gives you a good idea of how to ingrain the weight forward feel when you're doing similar practice.

Mike McLoughlin

That's not "fixing" your slice, it's "accommodating" it. Good luck on a tight driving hole with a chute off the tee. And the more your ball curves, the worse you are at translating clubhead speed into ball speed.

It seems like whenever someone posts that their normal shot is a fade and they want to learn to draw the ball, there is someone who will suggest they should embrace their fade as it "takes away the left side of the fairway". The reason some of us want to learn to shape the ball is to simply have a bit more control. I don't mind my fade, but it drives me insane that I have little to no choice in the matter. Also, there are days when my fade starts to become a slice. If I had more control/knowledge/ability, I could make the necessary adjustments to bring it back to a fade/straight or as noted above, curve the ball left when a shot calls for it.

I work on this almost daily and I will eventually get it. But it has proven to be more difficult than it should be.

Jon

When you do the mirror work make sure you make slow swings.  To really get a good feel for Key#2 try to copy the left pic in the mirror, flex the left knee past the left ankle.  The player featured is doing mapping swing, not full motion, he's stopping at certain positions.  That's why the pic is so exaggerated but gives you a good idea of how to ingrain the weight forward feel when you're doing similar practice.

That's the plan - spend the winter doing slow motion work to ingrain feels and positions. I have mirrored closet doors in my spare room, where I keep a couple of old clubs for just working on stance, grip, and swing. My distance (at least, for a 25 handicapper) is good, but I know it will be much better without a fade/slice in my longer irons and woods. I also want to be able to ditch the offset driver, or at the very least, know that if I get an adjustable driver for Christmas that I'll be able to set it neutral at one point :)

A lot of the advice in this thread popped up in a DVD set I recently picked up, and that set also recommended slow swings to ingrain keeping the weight forward, proper pivot, pushing off the ground to raise the handle, etc. So it'll be good to work on things without attempting to kill that little white ball at my feet for a while.

Russ B.

Note: This thread is 2493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!