IGNORED

2012 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide Insurance Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm fighting back urges reading these comments, because I have it recording right now on my DVR.

But I'm glad to see Tiger having a good round. Maybe things are coming around for him, he could be a contender for the US Open?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Looks like 18 is derailing a lot of potentially good rounds so far.  Tiger and Luke found it tough earlier, and I saw Adam Scott was on fire before getting to 18.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

It's all Rickie, Phil, and Bubba all the time.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow... Phil withdrawing due to "mental fatigue."  A lot of other players would get killed for that excuse but Phil has some well-deserved capital to spend w/ the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspin4hand View Post

Wow... Phil withdrawing due to "mental fatigue."  A lot of other players would get killed for that excuse but Phil has some well-deserved capital to spend w/ the media.

Are you watching live or do you have another source for that being the reason?  That is shocking.

Never mind, reading it now myself: http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye-on-golf/19218311/mickelson-too-fried-to-continue-withdraws-from-memorial-tournament-after-horrendous-79

Quote:

“I came back and had a Tuesday outing in Long Island, the pro*am, and I think mentally I'm a little bit fatigued,” Mickelson said. “So the course here is in such great shape, it's a beautiful way to get ready for the U.S. Open.

“But I'm hitting it so poorly that I think that for me to ** I have to look at what's best for me to play in the U.S. Open, and I'm going to take the next few days to kind of rest up.”

Is there any contemporary precedent for this type of withdrawal?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by mvmac

Rory McIroy/Luke Donald/Keegan Bradley — Donald and McIlory will be vying for the No. 1

Unless Rory wins with Luke outside the top 8, Donald will remain #1

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm "watching" his round on the shot tracker thing, and I swear to $DEITY, if any one of half of us were putting for him today, he'd be threatening the course record.

Maybe he's leaving himself really tricky putts, from above the holes or something, but he's making nothing and averaging something like 14 feet from the hole. The longest putt he made so far might be the nine footer to save par, but outside of some tap-ins for birdies, he's making nothing, if the shot tracker thing is telling the truth (it usually does).

14'11" for birdie on #6, tap-in par.

Originally Posted by Zwick

It's really not that bad, he has only missed one putt inside 10 feet all day. He just was a bit unlucky with lipouts on 10 and 11, ball 1 inch from the hole on 1 and so on.

I didn`t see the round or follow shot tracker, but the stats seem to support Zwick- Tiger took 28 putts and gained over half a shot to the field in putting.  Not his best putting day, but certainly not disastrous.  I am not a pro, but I would rather make most of my putts inside of 10 feet and nothing outside 10 rather than miss some of these but make some 10 to 20 footers.

DRIVING ACCURACY 64 64.3 T58
DRIVING DISTANCE 311.5 311.5 T10
STROKES GAINED - PUTTING 0.627 0.627 44
PUTTS PER ROUND 28 28.0 T42
PUTTS PER GIR 1.750 1.750 T57
GREENS IN REG 67 66.7 T20
SAND SAVES 75 75.0 T29

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Sounds like Phil has a mean case of the f*ck its.

Sounds like my last round of golf I think everyone has had a case of the f*ck its at one point or another. Golf is a love/hate thing for me .

I will be curious to see how the course looks and plays tomorrow after the big storms roll in.  It might soften up the greens some.  Heard alot of the players say that some of the greens were hard to hold.  With 35 guys within 5 shots of the lead its going to be close up until Sunday.  Rory could have been right up there in the mix without that 7 same as Tiger too.  I think those two are the guys to be watching to make a mini-comeback.

18 has been the toughest hole I believe.  Adam Scott, Robert Garrigus, Tiger, Luke, Ben Crane, Mike Weir all double bogeyed the 18th

I was depressed at watching Phil. He played terribly, and withdrew himself. I can't even remember that last time he ever withdrew from a tournament. I want to see Couples win another PGA Tour event.

I was in the car quite a bit today and heard an interview with Tiger and he said he believed the greens were rolling at 14.  That's damn fast for a Thursday - non major championship course!

Is there any contemporary precedent for this type of withdrawal?

I don't know, but it may establish one. The top players today all focus on the majors, and the other events are just preparation for them, so it makes perfect sense to cut short what is essentially a practice session that is not going well. Phil will probably be scouting Olympic within a few days. I keep saying that majors are much harder to win now than when Jack was playing, because Jack was one of only a very few players who built his whole schedule around the majors. Now they all do it. This is the next logical step in the trend. I hope everybody heard Phil's interview after the round, where he made it clear that he's not withdrawing simply because he shot himself out of the tournament today. He said it's more than that; he's also fatigued because he's just back from a vacation in France and Italy. If resting up from a vacation isn't a legitimate reason for a WD, I don't know what is.

He should be suspended from the tour. No reason to quit from a tournament unless you're physically unable to play. It's totally unsportsmanlike and contrary to what golf is about.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

18 has been the toughest hole I believe.  Adam Scott, Robert Garrigus, Tiger, Luke, Ben Crane, Mike Weir all double bogeyed the 18th

From what I saw that makes it Weirs best hole, unfortunately :(

Originally Posted by brocks

If resting up from a vacation isn't a legitimate reason for a WD, I don't know what is.

True, as an employer I always look favourably on people that throw sickies when they come back off holidays!

Originally Posted by k-troop

He should be suspended from the tour. No reason to quit from a tournament unless you're physically unable to play. It's totally unsportsmanlike and contrary to what golf is about.

Mental health/fatigue is comparable to physical health/fatigue. What golf is about?

Originally Posted by luu5

Mental health/fatigue is comparable to physical health/fatigue. What golf is about?

Along with the fatigue he said that the way he's playing is non-productive for his preparation for the US Open. Sure he had a bad round and he thinks Friday would be more of the same, but he needs to suck it up. Anyone else would get reemed by the media, but since Phil is such a nice guy he gets a pass, bull $hit.

Can you imagine what Feinstein or Micelli would say today, if that would've been Woods instead of Mickelson?

I think it wasn't the best decision / explanation (mostly because he just was on a 1-week vacation trip in Europe), but I don't think it's a big deal.

More important: Heavy rain at the Memorial this this night (according to GC's Sobel), that will bring down the scores a bit. I bet we see some 65's today (hopefully from Woods, McIlroy and Donald).

Note: This thread is 4347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!