IGNORED

Casey Martin: Cart or Not?

iacas
Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm almost positive that's not true. He gets to drive wherever. Most of the cart paths are where spectators will be, after all. They're not making him drive and park his cart among spectators. :P

I also read it's a specially designed one seat golf cart.  So it seems his caddy will still be walking behind him.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Yes but admit that if the PGA would have permitted him to ride it would have to draft a detailed standard to apply to claimed disability situations and some kind of panel or arbitrator to deal with the claims.  That wouldn't be pretty.

In my Ping Mantis Carry Bag:

Driver | Nakashima NP1 420 9° | Graphite Design YS-7+ Stiff (44 in)

3W | Callaway X-Hot 15° | Adila NV-65S
3H | Acer XDS | TT DG S300

4I-GW | Acer XK Pro | TT DG S300
56° 60° | Dynacraft DMC Forged | TT DG S300

P | SeeMore FGP Mallet | Tupper Grip | 34in

Ball | Reclaimed Pro V1[x]

Originally Posted by zipazoid

LOAT?

Andy North.

Hey, it's US Open week.

Hubert Green, Lee Janzen and some 2 time major winners (and countless 1 major winners) all say hey what about me???

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I noticed yesterday that Casey Martin also uses a long putter.  And not the somewhat subtle belly putter where it looks like a normal putting stroke, but the really silly looking old guy (and Adam Scott) one-hand-low-and-other-hand-way-up-by-the-chin kind.

Considering the volatility of this thread and the "ban long putters" thread, I would think this would make some peoples heads explode.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I noticed yesterday that Casey Martin also uses a long putter.  And not the somewhat subtle belly putter where it looks like a normal putting stroke, but the really silly looking old guy (and Adam Scott) one-hand-low-and-other-hand-way-up-by-the-chin kind.

Considering the volatility of this thread and the "ban long putters" thread, I would think this would make some peoples heads explode.

Between the putter and the cart he's stealing 3 a side.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Between the putter and the cart he's stealing 3 a side.

Ha!  In all seriousness though, I believe that the controversy will be magnified to an unfathomable degree if he contends.  I voted yes he should get the cart, but I admit that I voted with my heart, and also "knowing" that it's not really going to matter much because it's not like he's going to be there past Friday anyway.

But man, if he were to go on and win?  Holy cow!  Crazier things have happened, right?  Or not, this would probably take the cake.

If that happened, I think I'd want to go back and change my vote.

I also heard he'll be using iron covers...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ha!  In all seriousness though, I believe that the controversy will be magnified to an unfathomable degree if he contends.  I voted yes he should get the cart, but I admit that I voted with my heart, and also "knowing" that it's not really going to matter much because it's not like he's going to be there past Friday anyway.

But man, if he were to go on and win?  Holy cow!  Crazier things have happened, right?  Or not, this would probably take the cake.

If that happened, I think I'd want to go back and change my vote.

If he wins, it would be one of the best things ever.  I'm pulling for him all the way.  I'm just speculating, but seeing how he hobbles around I think he's just as whipped at the end of a round just having to support his body weight while standing as the rest of the field is walking the course.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I also heard he'll be using iron covers...

Clearly a move to help the resale value of his irons.

If he wins, it would be one of the best things ever.  I'm pulling for him all the way.  I'm just speculating, but seeing how he hobbles around I think he's just as whipped at the end of a round just having to support his body weight while standing as the rest of the field is walking the course.

Oh, no doubt ... probably more.

Would it be illegal for a caddy to carry a player on his back throughout the round (a la piggyback ride)?  If that is not expressly prohibited under the rules (or, alternatively, if the rules expressly require that one walk the course himself -- which they don't), I have a hard time understanding that walking the course is a fundamental part of the game.

Hmmmmmmmmm............

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Yes. He's good enough to play at that level. The crap about playing in the NFL or allowing people to play from 2,000 yards is just a stupid argument. He's playing the exact same golf course he just can't walk in between shots. Yeah it might be a bit of help to not have to walk if it's hot or hilly but I think at the end of the day it all comes down to who shoots the lowest round.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

I've changed my mind (but not my vote) about five times on this issue. Great topic and really compelling arguments on both sides. Imagine the uproar if he WINS!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Imagine the uproar if he WINS!!

The asterisk will be so large it will be like it never happened.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quantify this advantage and then you might have a leg to stand on.

Certainly you don't dispute that there is an advantage, quantifiable or not, to riding, do you?

Let's face it, if riding didn't provide him a benefit over walking, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by jamo

I agree.  And that would be a shame......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by jamo

I really don't think so.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

I really don't think so.

Yeah I don't know why I worded it that way. But the asterisk will be HUGE.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!