IGNORED

Marking your golf ball.........

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 4281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 dots in a triangle above right of logo on both sides and the same color on the alignment line. I usually use red, blue, or black depending on the day.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing a par5 yesterday....it only plays 500yds but it was dead into a 22-25mph wind.   I hit a nice drive but still had 240 to the pin......the fairway splits in two in the layup area by a creek.  You need to choose left or right.......choose left to lay up short...or right to get near the green.

I blame the wind, but I semi-topped a 3-wood trying to play aggressive to get near the green and it went into a ditch.   A marshal was nearby to help me find my ball........without me saying a word....he asked me.. "was it a Shit Ball?". .............hahaha....too funny!!!   Apparently word travels.....my ball marking is almost becoming a conversation piece.

PS...he did find it!!  I was able to hack it to within 25yds of the green.....and I saved par.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I only buy 2nd hand balls of any brand, but not the very cheapest, sort of mid-range cheap. I really don't care about the brand or name, number etc. If the ball is round, white and clean it's good to go. But every ball i play i have already marked with my special simple mark; a small purple rectangle on any clear spot. Other marks of no concern. The advantages of this for me are 1, i don't need to remember what brand/number of ball i have at  the moment,  the mark never changes. 2. i can tell others what i am playing by showing the mark. Esp   useful in Asia where caddies are common and we don't speak together well. Just show the mark. 3. Mark easy to see   4. No one else will be using that mark. 5. Can mark newly found ball quickly.  6. Mark not intrusive to my eye when striking ball.  All told a good system for me. Problem i have had is what marking pen to use. I have tried many.  Some are oil based marking paints but they are only surface covers.Chip off quickly. Others not waterproof or rub proof and are  also quickly gone. Now have settled on Sakura Identi-Pen, dual point permanent ink marking pen. Made in Japan, bought in USA.. Many colors and unlike Sharpie are nice fine line. I find the black Sharpie line and color coarse and ugly  I always carry a pen in my ball  bag in  case i need to mark a ball. Draw back to all marks is when pounded with the club head the mark shape/color is compromised.

Will show photo when i figure out TST image system.

I mark with the first letter of my first name, a big F. Always say I am hitting a F'n ball...........

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I mark mine with an arrow w/ two dots underneath it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

A little line under the number on each side and then use a plastic gizmo to draw a straight line and a "T"

I do not understand good golfers who play with no marks whatsoever. If you find your unmarked ProV in the woods and you have no idea if it is yours or some other guy's ball from days ago.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I play yellow balls.  No need to mark.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I put a black line on it for putting.  I'm sure that's not unique, but brand, model, number, and black line--that's always been enough for me.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I put my initials right above the logo.    My wife on the other hand, has taken to writing LOST BALL on hers in letters almost as big as buckeye is using.    Funny thing is, until she started doing that, she rarely lost one to anything but a water hazard.    Since she started that, she has lost a whole slew of balls.    I told her it was power of suggestion!  LOL

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

[QUOTE][/QUOTE][quote name="The Gill" url="/t/58811/marking-your-golf-ball#post_722397"]Just getting the red ink all over my club faces would be enough to annoy me...[/quote] I like to remark my ball on the tee with a red dot. That way I can check where in the club face I make contact. This also applies on par 3s. At times I will take a sharpie to the range and mark each range ball soni can check my irons

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Why do guys say there is no need to mark?  Just because you play with a unique golf ball - that 99% of the population would not use... Doesn't mean that just because you found what you believe to be your ball - is indeed your ball.  If you put a unique marking on the ball - then yes - I would agree it is your ball.  Without that marking... Well, there is a chance it isn't your ball.

PS.  I mark my ball with my initials (first and last) and 3 dots (triangle formation) on both sides of the ball.  Typically with a black, blue or red sharpie (whichever I grab).

I actually enjoy using the Golfdotz ball markers.  They stand out nicely and there are tons of cool designs to pick from.  I use a yellow cat one.

http://www.golfdotz.com/golfdotz-store-buy-online-now.html

Originally Posted by stoverny

I actually enjoy using the Golfdotz ball markers.  They stand out nicely and there are tons of cool designs to pick from.  I use a yellow cat one.

http://www.golfdotz.com/golfdotz-store-buy-online-now.html

I saw those at golfsmith the other day.  Do they come out well when they're actually put on the ball?

Yeah they go on very easy and look great.  They can start to peel sometimes depending on conditions, but I find they generally last as long as the ball does.  I've played entire rounds with the same ball and the logo still looks fine.

I went from putting a large "R" on a blank side to drawing a putting line with my initials on top of the line, and now I just put a red dot next to the swoosh and draw a red line over the 20XI logo on the ball. The sharpie marks to smear onto my clubface

There was a guy on tour, can't remember his name or what tour, who put "RELAX" with big letters and always faces it up on the tee. Not sure this is legal to give yourself advice through those means, but can't see how funny it can be when someone finds your "relax" ball instead of your "shit" balls.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Five black dots in the shape of the hacker logo: [img]http://www.catb.org/hacker-emblem/glider.png[/img] Easy to do, very distinct, and it has some meaning. :-)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Lately I have been marking them with five "G's" around the ball.  G is my first initial and my favorite number is 5.  I use a orange marker as well because I haven't ran into someone else who uses orange.

Note: This thread is 4281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!