IGNORED

Playing 9 or 18 by yourself.

formula428
Note: This thread is 3129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Go golfing (9 or 18) by yourself?

• Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    • It's a little lousy, wait until you get another or several before going to a course.

Golfing by yourself is great, the golf course late afternoon, early evening is an experience. It is my kinda church!

Ditto man, twilight, solo golf is great. Hit an extra ball when needed, quite, peaceful. Magnifico!

I played 54 yesterday. The first 21 alone, and the last 33 with two other guys. I enjoyed the entire day.

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5

Callaway X2Hot Hybrids 16*, 22*, 25*

Callaway XR Irons 6-AW

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54*,59*, 64*

Odyssey Metal-X Milled Rossie Putter

Bag Boy Revolver LE bag

Bag Boy Quad cart

I play by myself frequently very early on weekends...there are a couple other guys that do the same....usually around 6:30am. There is one guy I always let go first becuase he FLYS.....like 1:30 for 18 holes. I usually play in about 2 hours...sometimes 2.5 if I slow down and play extra balls. I like to play quick, but not so fast where it's just run up and hit it and repeat....don't get good results if I don't at least take a few seconds to size up a shot. That said, it's good practice and good to play fast and relax...but I almost always play better when playing with others. By myself, I tend to lose focus too easily and mess up basic easy shots, and my putting is not as good because I don't take the time to read the putts very well. When playing with others you have time to read greens, etc...

I usually show up by myself and will either get hooked up with someone on the tee or I go out by myself. I have to say I have met some very cool, and some very strange people when hooked up at the tee box.

• 5 months later...
i also prefer to play 9holes by myself,because you are not rushed or distracted by bad shots from the other guys. you know some guys that i have played with oon 9holes are so rushed...and it affects my shot decisions a well!

It's a great way to practice. I like getting nine holes to myself. I tee off 2-3 balls. Approach shot 2-3 balls. Short pitches and chips into the green. Some from the traps. Assuming there's no one behind me or a 2-4some.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will never turn down an invitation to golf with my buddies when someone puts an outing together, but I've kind of given up on doing that because my buddies are largely living a lifestyle that is about 15 years younger than their actual age and so they hardly ever want to get up early on a weekend and play.  I always wake up early and prefer to play right away so a) there's no log jam in front us, b)it's the cooler part of the day, very important in the summer in FL and c) I get home with most of the day left.

When I play by myself or with strangers, I feel like I play better - no distractions, no booze, etc.  Just enjoying the game.

Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver 

Calloway RAZR Fit 3W  

Taylor Made R7 Irons 

White Ice #1 35" 

Mizuno F50 5-7W 

Bushnell Medalist Range Finder 

I enjoy playing by myself, but always prefer to play with other people when I have the choice.  I've been in hundreds of groups in my 35+ years of playing golf and only once or twice did I not enjoy the experience.

As for those of you who are too nervous to be with others, my advice is:

1)  Be honest with the people you get matched up with.  Just say, "I'm just a beginner, but I won't hold you up."  Don't try the "Gosh...I don't know what's wrong with me.  I usually don't play this bad" line.

2)  Don't get angry, cuss, throw clubs or get overly apologetic.  You're a beginner.  We expect you to hit some bad shots.  Just say, "shoot" and step up and hit it again.

3)  Keep your pace of play up.  While others are hitting, prepare to hit your shot so when it's your turn you can step up and hit it.  If you've taken triple-bogey shots, and still aren't in the hole, just pick up.  If you think you may not find your ball, hit a provisional.  Don't be a "ball hawk."  Look for about 30 seconds for your ball then count it lost.  Nothing is more annoying than a beginner who wants to search forever for his ball, especially after the 8th time he hits one in the junk.

4)  Keep a good attitude.  I'll gladly play with someone that shoots 115 if they have a good attitude and are fun to play with.  I'd rather that than someone who shoots 75 and is a jerk.

I go by myself often.  Most of my friends do not like golfing, and the couple that do seem to never be able to go.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

I play by myself, or get paired with random people most of the time. None of my friends are as into golf as myself. The only thing I am struggling with, is how do you maintain a handicap playing this way? Do you ask strangers to attest your card? And when you play solo, do you just not count those rounds? I am really trying to maintain to maintain an accurate handicap next year, but it's tough with my playing habits.

When playing alone, I mostly will use the time to work on my game.  As other have mentioned, hitting multiple tee shots, approaches, and putts.  It is always nice to be able to use the course as a practice range as it gives a much more realistic feel as opposed to ranges and practice greens.

Originally Posted by mryan6

I play by myself, or get paired with random people most of the time. None of my friends are as into golf as myself. The only thing I am struggling with, is how do you maintain a handicap playing this way? Do you ask strangers to attest your card? And when you play solo, do you just not count those rounds? I am really trying to maintain to maintain an accurate handicap next year, but it's tough with my playing habits.

You just post all of your scores.  There is no requirement in the USGA handicap manual that scores must be attested to be posted.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I like playing twilight golf by myself, but I belong to a private club where I know most of the players, and if I show up the same time as somebody else we almost always hook up. There are certain guys I will avoid in that circumstance because they are in a track meet trying to get all 18 in before the sun goes down, and I am usually using that time to work on my game. Sometimes I'll drop another ball after an errant shot, or hit a few drives on a particular hole that gives me trouble off the tee. I'm not trying to post a score, just play a little golf.

Bill M

You should post all of your scores, but what is your purpose of trying to maintain a handicap? Are you going to play in tournaments and, if so, with people who you know?

While you are not always required to play with somebody when posting a score, you are still required to occasionally play with others in your association to allow for peer review, especially if you intend to play in tournaments. If you are just establishing and maintaining a handicap for your own edification, then just continue to play and post, but here is a definition of "peer review" per the USGA:

Peer Review

"Peer review" is the ability of golfers to gain an understanding of a player's potential ability and to form a reasonable basis for supporting or disputing a score that has been posted.

There are two essential elements of peer review:

1. Members of a golf club must have a reasonable and regular opportunity to play together (see Decision 2/8 ).

2. Access must be provided to scoring records, as well as to a Handicap Index list, for inspection by others, including, but not limited to, fellow club members. There are two forms of scoring record display...

Bill M

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression you needed an attest to post a score for handicap purposes. I just joined a golf course this fall, so I plan on playing in club events as well as some local amateur tournaments. I will have plenty of opportunities to play with "peers", but more times than not it will be solo, especially in the spring before I get established at the course.

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression you needed an attest to post a score for handicap purposes. I just joined a golf course this fall, so I plan on playing in club events as well as some local amateur tournaments. I will have plenty of opportunities to play with "peers", but more times than not it will be solo, especially in the spring before I get established at the course.

No real need for peer review of handicap postings.  If they are posting bogus low scores for handicap purposes, they hurt themselves.  If they are posting bogus high scores, any handicap review board doing their job properly will enact a "tournament handicap" for them if they have one or two huge differentials.  The worst that can and should happen is they win one tournament with an abnormally low score.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!