IGNORED

Post different course etiquettes please!

Dan Garcia
Note: This thread is 3419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

But they will catch up to you and wait in the next fairway while you are putting out (or the one after that) most likely, and consider that because you are 5 min utes behind where you would have been had you not waited for them, then what time are any of you saving?

I dont believe you are saving any time over the entirety of the round. I just think it seperates the long waiting period into 2 shorter waiting periods. If that group was good enough to hit the green they would hit the green. If not then they wont. Somebody waving me up has never put pressure on me. Golf is a hard sport and I dont expect to many people to be that much better than I. If somebody hits a bad pull or hook I dont think anything too bad. Its a tough sport. I expect people to feel the same.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

No. And most Friday nights I get behind leagues. Must play a different brand of golf here in Ohio. I guess we all know what club to use and don't give a damn about being on tour is my best guess lmao.

With all due respect.  Get over yourself.  Lol

Simple etiquette is not parking your cart or buggy right on the front of the green and after everyone putts out not counting up your score at the cart before deciding to move off,common sense (sadly lacking in a lot of people) would be to park at the back therefore clearing the green for the next group a lot quicker.

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

But they will catch up to you and wait in the next fairway while you are putting out (or the one after that) most likely, and consider that because you are 5 min utes behind where you would have been had you not waited for them, then what time are any of you saving?

I dont believe you are saving any time over the entirety of the round. I just think it seperates the long waiting period into 2 shorter waiting periods. If that group was good enough to hit the green they would hit the green. If not then they wont. Somebody waving me up has never put pressure on me. Golf is a hard sport and I dont expect to many people to be that much better than I. If somebody hits a bad pull or hook I dont think anything too bad. Its a tough sport. I expect people to feel the same.

If it's a local custom at certain courses, then I'll certainly do it. I have done it plenty of times in the past. I get that some people waiting for 6 minutes twice could feel like more is getting accomplished than waiting for 12 minutes once. Don't agree with it at all, but I appreciate it.  I might make a point to never play there again, but I get it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Snakey

Simple etiquette is not parking your cart or buggy right on the front of the green and after everyone putts out not counting up your score at the cart before deciding to move off,common sense (sadly lacking in a lot of people) would be to park at the back therefore clearing the green for the next group a lot quicker.

Hmmmm. I guess I'm among those lacking this common sense! I have always parked infront of the green just to make it obvious to the group behind that the green is NOT clear yet! Guess I'll stay out of the no parking zone before I get towed!

At the courses in my town sleeveless shirts, beer drinkin, and yelling at your playing partners are pretty much the norm......hooray for southest Oklahoma...

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Here's something I still do not understand. I lived the first 22 years of my life in northeast Ohio, and the last 30 here in Florida. Every time I go up to Ohio and I play golf, invariably there are guys out there on the course with their shirts off. I have never, not once, ever seen such a thing in Florida.

I played a round at Hidden Valley earlier this year out in the Inland Empire area... Here is something you should not do... Ride a horse through the green.

No kidding... Some jagoff rode a horse through the green and left huge hoof prints from its horse shoes all over the surface of the green.  We called the pro shop and they sent out some maintenance guys to try and repair the green, but the damage was already done.  It looked awful.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

No kidding... Some jagoff rode a horse through the green and left huge hoof prints from its horse shoes all over the surface of the green.  We called the pro shop and they sent out some maintenance guys to try and repair the green, but the damage was already done.  It looked awful.

Your glass should be half full ... at least he didn't take a dump in the hole.

Seriously though, growing up in Fresno, I played a muni that more often than not (or so it seemed) had a green effed up because somebody drove their car on the course in the middle of the night and did donuts on the green.  Lovely.

I played a round at Hidden Valley earlier this year out in the Inland Empire area... Here is something you should not do... Ride a horse through the green.

I played their last weekend. Ridiculious course. I enjoy the elevation changes and the wind challenges and all. Kicked my ass though.

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I played their last weekend. Ridiculious course. I enjoy the elevation changes and the wind challenges and all. Kicked my ass though.

Yeah it's a solid course for the $$.  A couple of my buddies and I bought a package from Costco which included 18 holes at all three courses: Eagle Glenn, Hidden Valley and Oak Quarry for $120... No restrictions.  I haven't been back out there since we played this past Spring... But it is indeed a challenge.

Yeah it's a solid course for the $$.  A couple of my buddies and I bought a package from Costco which included 18 holes at all three courses: Eagle Glenn, Hidden Valley and Oak Quarry for $120... No restrictions.  I haven't been back out there since we played this past Spring... But it is indeed a challenge.

It also hurts not having played that course before. Hole 1 I have no Idea where the green was and put my drive left side of fairway leaving my self 200 yards or so. Had I known right was better I may have left myself like 170 or so. Alot of courses it helps to know the layout but this course especially. I think hole 7 is driveable but I thought I would be ok with my 3 wood. Didnt acount for wind. should have gone driver. my buddy had an eagle chip and I was trying to smack my ball out of the mead downhill muddy area because if you dont make the green you roll way back.

• 2 years later...

Here's one which was recently pointed out to me by an experienced player, and which I had never thought about before. When you are attending the flag as a courtesy to another player, stand on the side of the flag where your shadow does not fall on the cup. A number of posts have talked about paying attention to your shadow, but in this particular situation you are already trying to be helpful and courteous, and might not think about where your shadow is falling.

I have another question of my own: where is the appropriate place to stand when someone else is teeing off: in front of them, where they can see you, or behind them, where they can't? I am not sure if there is a general guideline on this - I personally prefer not having other players behind my back when teeing off, but I can see that - for a lot of people - the opposite might be the case.

One last thing: I somehow picked up (I think maybe from my dad) that the tee should not be entered from the front, but that you should rather walk round to the side or back before stepping on the teeing area. Is this just superstition or has anyone ever heard of this?

Here's one which was recently pointed out to me by an experienced player, and which I had never thought about before. When you are attending the flag as a courtesy to another player, stand on the side of the flag where your shadow does not fall on the cup. A number of posts have talked about paying attention to your shadow, but in this particular situation you are already trying to be helpful and courteous, and might not think about where your shadow is falling.

I have another question of my own: where is the appropriate place to stand when someone else is teeing off: in front of them, where they can see you, or behind them, where they can't? I am not sure if there is a general guideline on this - I personally prefer not having other players behind my back when teeing off, but I can see that - for a lot of people - the opposite might be the case.

One last thing: I somehow picked up (I think maybe from my dad) that the tee should not be entered from the front, but that you should rather walk round to the side or back before stepping on the teeing area. Is this just superstition or has anyone ever heard of this?

If there is wind you should also gather up the flag itself into the hand holding the flagstick to keep it from flapping, which could be a distraction.

I never heard the one about where you enter the tee box from.  I cannot think of any reason for this one so maybe it is an old superstition, as you suggested.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

If there is wind you should also gather up the flag itself into the hand holding the flagstick to keep it from flapping, which could be a distraction.

Amen.  I can't believe how many people who play a lot of golf and know the etiquette don't follow this one.  And it's not even just for tending either, but when the guy who's already putted out picks it up before the last guy putts (which is totally fine) but then doesn't hold the flag so it can be heard or seen flapping while he putts. :pound:

Amen.  I can't believe how many people who play a lot of golf and know the etiquette don't follow this one.  And it's not even just for tending either, but when the guy who's already putted out picks it up before the last guy putts (which is totally fine) but then doesn't hold the flag so it can be heard or seen flapping while he putts.

Not to mention when you lay the flag on the green you fold it under the pole so it doesn't flap. The buddy I learned golf from as a kid must have been a stickler for etiquette :-)

And I hate people who let their clubs rattle while they walk. Drives me nuts, it is good etiquette to make sure your clubs are quiet.

I have a golf buddy who not only places his clubs in his bag backwards (as in short clubs towards the top of the bag and long clubs at the bottom, never seen anyone else do this) but they also rattle like crazy. He just looks at me funny when I ask him to quit rattling his clubs so I can hit. :mad:

Steve

Not to mention when you lay the flag on the green you fold it under the pole so it doesn't flap. The buddy I learned golf from as a kid must have been a stickler for etiquette

And I hate people who let their clubs rattle while they walk. Drives me nuts, it is good etiquette to make sure your clubs are quiet.

I have a golf buddy who not only places his clubs in his bag backwards (as in short clubs towards the top of the bag and long clubs at the bottom, never seen anyone else do this) but they also rattle like crazy. He just looks at me funny when I ask him to quit rattling his clubs so I can hit.

if hes making noise and youre trying to hit, then by all means yell at him.  but if his clubs are chattering as you both are walking and not hitting, thats one of the sweetest sounds, and one of the little things i love about golf.

Colin P.

I have a golf buddy who not only places his clubs in his bag backwards (as in short clubs towards the top of the bag and long clubs at the bottom, never seen anyone else do this) but they also rattle like crazy. He just looks at me funny when I ask him to quit rattling his clubs so I can hit.

Yeah, my father in law started carrying last year whereas he used to use a pull cart.  He also never made any attempt to adjust the straps so the bag lays right across his backside - and thus basically bounces off his butt with each step.  And to make matters even worse, he's lost all of his headcovers, so all 14 clubs bang away the whole time he's walking.  It's not quiet.

It can be a bit annoying.

Note: This thread is 3419 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!