IGNORED

2012 British Open Prediction Contest

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys!!! Tiger Woods at -7 has been already been picked 3 times! I think Tiger at -6 has been picked twice.  If you picked Tiger at -7 and your name is not Bo the Golfer, then your submission is a complete waste.

Also I'm still seeing guys pick high ranking players for their second and third picks.  Here is an example of the way it should be done

Tiger woods 9-under
Peter Hanson 9-under
Branden grace 9-under

Basically most of your third picks should be someone you've never heard of.

Here is an example of how NOT to go about your second and third picks

Louis Oosthuizen -12

Tiger Woods -14

Rory McIlroy -13

Setting aside picking Tiger for your second pick, what are the chances no one will pick Rory Mcilroy with their first or second picks?!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahhaha... I love it.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Guys!!! Tiger Woods at -7 has been already been picked 3 times! I think Tiger at -6 has been picked twice.  If you picked Tiger at -7 and your name is not Bo the Golfer, then your submission is a complete waste.

Also I'm still seeing guys pick high ranking players for their second and third picks.  Here is an example of the way it should be done

Tiger woods 9-under

Peter Hanson 9-under

Branden grace 9-under

Basically most of your third picks should be someone you've never heard of.

Here is an example of how NOT to go about your second and third picks

Louis Oosthuizen -12

Tiger Woods -14

Rory McIlroy -13

Setting aside picking Tiger for your second pick, what are the chances no one will pick Rory Mcilroy with their first or second picks?!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Hahhaha... I love it.

I thought we did one of these contests where a tie at first required looking at the second choice....  Oh well.  Maybe next time.  Somethings not quite right.  Technically if Tiger won at -7 and the first guy picked +483, he would win, right?  I think that's why people are confused.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

I thought we did one of these contests where a tie at first required looking at the second choice....  Oh well.  Maybe next time.  Somethings not quite right.  Technically if Tiger won at -7 and the first guy picked +483, he would win, right?  I think that's why people are confused.

As they have said... The format is such that you need to treat the selection as a draft pick for each round.  If a guy was selected in the first round... It is silly to pick him as a 2nd or 3rd round option... Because regardless of how close you may have been to picking the guys score in relation to par... If you picked him in the 3rd round... And another user picked him in the 2nd round... The user who picked him in the 2nd round trumps your pick - even if you were dead on as he picked him off the board before you (in the 2nd round to your 3rd round selection). Again, treat it as a draft pick.

Now if a guy is selected within a given round... You can select him in that same round... Then the tie breaker becomes who was closer to picking the score relation to par for said player.  Therefore, if you pick the guy that someone else has already selected - in the same round... Just ensure that your guesstimate to his score in relation to par is different than that which was already selected.  Because if you pick the same score - for the guy in the same round... The winner will be whomever made that pick first - within this thread.

It's really not that difficult... Folks just need to pay attention to what selections have been made before they make a prediction.

Ernie Els -9

Zach Johnson -9

John Huh -9

Driver: 913D2, 9.5°
3-Wood: V-Steel, 15°
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP, 19°
Irons: MP-64, 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM 54.10, 60.08 Putter: Studio Style Newport 2

Ball: ProV1

Four people have used their third choice on my first choice; the very first pick made in the thread. Heck, I used my third choice on someone I knew no one would ever pick as their first or second choices. Does anyone even read the rules?

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Tiger Woods 2 under

Rory McIlroy  2 under

Lee Westwood  2 under

I revised this on July 3--Not sure if it is still good.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Four people have used their third choice on my first choice; the very first pick made in the thread. Heck, I used my third choice on someone I knew no one would ever pick as their first or second choices.

Does anyone even read the rules?

Very few.  And even some that read the rules have poor reading comprehension.

Tiger     -13

Stricker  -12

Jacobson  -11

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Okay, to attempt to contain the mass confusion that is this predictions contest so far, I'm making a table of which players have been chosen up to this post (roughly noon EDT, July 3). If you have yet to make a prediction, these players and these scores are already taken.

Editorial note: Anyone who picks Tiger from here on out is an idiot. Never mind those still using Woods as their second and third choice, the Open Championship record is 267, which would be -13 at this year's par-70 Royal Lytham and St. Anne's course. The previous three Opens at Lytham were won with scores of 274, 271, and 273, which were -10, -13, and -11 when Lytham played to a par 71, but would be -6, -9, -7 this year. It is likely that the entire range of probable winning scores has been taken for Tiger, and much better values lie elsewhere.

FIRST CHOICE (Do not pick these players with your second or third choice; scores listed are already taken)

Justin Rose: -8 , -4

Tiger Woods: -16, -15, -14, -13, -12, -11, -10, -9, -8, -7, -6, -5

Lee Westwood: -11, -10, -9, -3

Phil Mickelson: -12, -10

Nicolas Colsaerts: -11

Sergio Garcia: -8

Luke Donald: -8, -7

Jason Dufner: -10

Rory McIlroy: -12, -9

Paul Lawrie: -8

Graeme McDowell: -9

Louis Oosthuizen: -12, -9

Hunter Mahan: -11

Padraig Harrington: -9, -6

Martin Kaymer: -9

Bubba Watson: -11

Davis Love III: -7

Matt Kuchar: -5

Ernie Els: -9

SECOND CHOICE (Do not pick these players with your third choice; scores listed are already taken)

Francesco Molinari: -6

Peter Hanson: -9, -8

Ross Fisher: -11

Rickie Fowler: -7

Dustin Johnson: -11, -10

Gregory Havret: -8

George Coetzee: -8

Retief Goosen: -3

Robert Rock: -9, -7

Jason Day: -8

Ryo Ishikawa: -8

Nick Watney: -8

John Senden: -9

Bill Haas: -11

KJ Choi: -7

Zach Johnson: -9, -5

Jim Furyk: -8

Kevin Na: -12

Steve Stricker: -12

THIRD CHOICE (Scores listed are already taken)

JBE Kruger: Even

Branden Grace: -9, -8

Martin Laird: -10

Vijay Singh: -8

Lucas Glover: -11

Keegan Bradley: -9

Ian Poulter: -8

Charles Howell III: -3

Chez Reavie: -6

Ben Curtis: -10

Harris English: -8

Andres Romero: -9

David Toms: -11

Bo Van Pelt: -6

Charl Schwartzel: -10

John Huh: -9

Fredrik Jacobson: -11

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I finally understand picking unknowns for second and third picks now. My picks got left by the wayside when others after me picked them to win.  Now I have to rely completely on my first choice, which really isn't that hard to believe considering somebody usually gets the winner with his first pick.  However, it would be nice to have a small insurance policy.  Anywho, good luck to everyone who gets in before the deadline.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Technically if Tiger won at -7 and the first guy picked +483, he would win, right?  I think that's why people are confused.

No the winner would be the first guy to pick Tiger at -7 or if someone didn't pick the correct score, it would be the first guy to pick Tiger closest to his winning score.

Originally Posted by jcorfive

I finally understand picking unknowns for second and third picks now. My picks got left by the wayside when others after me picked them to win.  Now I have to rely completely on my first choice, which really isn't that hard to believe considering somebody usually gets the winner with his first pick.  However, it would be nice to have a small insurance policy.  Anywho, good luck to everyone who gets in before the deadline.

Yes the reality of it is, there is a good chance the winner will come out of the first picks (first round) It has so far for every prediction contest that I've been apart of,

But I probably just jinxed it!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Okay, to attempt to contain the mass confusion that is this predictions contest so far, I'm making a table of which players have been chosen up to this post (roughly noon EDT, July 3). If you have yet to make a prediction, these players and these scores are already taken.

Editorial note: Anyone who picks Tiger from here on out is an idiot. Never mind those still using Woods as their second and third choice, the Open Championship record is 267, which would be -13 at this year's par-70 Royal Lytham and St. Anne's course. The previous three Opens at Lytham were won with scores of 274, 271, and 273, which were -10, -13, and -11 when Lytham played to a par 71, but would be -6, -9, -7 this year. It is likely that the entire range of probable winning scores has been taken for Tiger, and much better values lie elsewhere.

Dang, where was this list when I posted.  Would have saved me a bunch of searching.  And apparently crappy searching at that since I skipped the first page and hosed up my third pick...

Tiger -4

Jason Day -6

John Daly -7

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Originally Posted by John King

He is listed as a participant for the 2012 Open, according to their website.

I am going to strike this because I just saw an article saying he was going to skip the Open. That means I am out of the running already.

I wasted my 2nd and 3rd choice too so I have to rely on my first. Oh well, I'll do better for the PGA contest.

Originally Posted by jcorfive

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Note: This thread is 4267 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!