IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If this is a willey waving contest, can I just say you don't have to be long to score well. 2 weeks ago I had 6 birdies, 3 bogies and a double yet my longest drive probably didn't get past 250yds, course length 6702, par 72... 22 putts made a world of a difference.

If you can hit it half decent, learn to chip and putt. It'll make more difference. And when you're sat in the bar the stories of half a dozen 300+yd drives doesn't get listened to half as much as 6 birdies and 22 putts.

Originally Posted by Hairy Feet

If this is a willey waving contest, can I just say you don't have to be long to score well. 2 weeks ago I had 6 birdies, 3 bogies and a double yet my longest drive probably didn't get past 250yds, course length 6702, par 72... 22 putts made a world of a difference.

If you can hit it half decent, learn to chip and putt. It'll make more difference. And when you're sat in the bar the stories of half a dozen 300+yd drives doesn't get listened to half as much as 6 birdies and 22 putts.

Who cares really? Who cares if Joe Duffer says he drives 300 but only drives 285? Who cares he says he shot a 79 but fluffed his lie on a dozen holes and took 4 foot gimmes all the way around. Unless you find yourself reaching for your wallet after the round, who really cares?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Who cares really? Who cares if Joe Duffer says he drives 300 but only drives 285? Who cares he says he shot a 79 but fluffed his lie on a dozen holes and took 4 foot gimmes all the way around. Unless you find yourself reaching for your wallet after the round, who really cares?

Egos

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Quote:

Egos

Nail on the head - whenever someone who I know cheats tells me what they shot, it bruises my ego. I shouldn't let if bother me, but I'm shallow.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Maybe for some it's ego,  I know I'll never dunk a basketball nor have any great desire to do so but I'll be skeptical if a guy 5' 8" tells me he can dunk.  It's not that I care, it's more that I don't appreciate having someone insult my intelligence.

I see driving the ball 300 yards in the same way.  I'm skeptical when a guy that just started playing and doesn't have a great swing in my opinion and the opinion of others who know much more about the golf swing than I do agree.  I want to see them prove it rather than just accept that he can.

Conversely I've seen Erik's swing, Sean's swing and a few others here and have no doubt they could drive it 300 yards and I don't think anyone has ever questioned their ability to do so, so I don't really see it as an ego thing.

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Egos

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
FWIW I emailed the guy and promised I'd keep anything he said confidential. He hasn't replied.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not surprised.

He's either; a really good guy who pushed his position until his back was against the wall and after finding out he was wrong didn't want to come back here and take his lumps.

or

He was a troll and wanted to get us all fired up and used his seemingly sincere posts to keep people in the thread until he had no choice but to bail when you called him out.

Originally Posted by iacas

FWIW I emailed the guy and promised I'd keep anything he said confidential. He hasn't replied.

Joe Paradiso

Hey, if he emails you back, let me know what he said...

Colin P.

Nail on the head - whenever someone who I know cheats tells me what they shot, it bruises my ego. I shouldn't let if bother me, but I'm shallow.

It kind of bothers me. One guy who I think I am in close competition says he shoots 80's everyweek that Im not there. The week he plays with me he shoots in the hundreds. When he tells me he shoots an 80 (which is better than my best) it bruises my ego a little bit until I see him play and the only time he ever beat me I shot a terrible 99 and he only shot a 96. He didnt even beat me. I just lost.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I'm not surprised.

He's either; a really good guy who pushed his position until his back was against the wall and after finding out he was wrong didn't want to come back here and take his lumps.

or

He was a troll and wanted to get us all fired up and used his seemingly sincere posts to keep people in the thread until he had no choice but to bail when you called him out.

I dont think he was a troll at all. I remember seeing him for weeks before this. I remember because I thought Jimbo slice was a great name. Im also a Jim. I also liked the halpert/The office avatar. I had seen him around for weeks. He was probably just proven wrong on a trackman and couldnt face it. I am sure hes on golfwrx or something now.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

If you look at an iron head face on. The toe starts where the grooves end and goes to the end. the heel starts at the end of the grooves and goes to the hosel area. That being the case when the club is grounded and swung it is easier to see the toe than the face as it goes into impact. Yes the ball starts out where the face is pointed. I don't see what the big deal is about a guy who says he can hit it 300 yds. In the late 70's when I started I saw many amauter golfers in calif. who hit it 290- to 300, with macregor persimmon drivers. granted some roll was involved but it was still long. Heck I saw nicklaus at riviera hit one 295 on the fly. Big Jack was longer and higher ball flight in my opinion than woods.

Originally Posted by Shorty

There is every reason to doubt him.

He posted a swing video.

It's been pretty well established that the OP is a confused individual who is very unlikely to hit it much more than 200.

He has probably had a serious wake up call with a launch monitor.

Ouch ....

Moral: if you're gonna say such things, don't be posting vids that suggest otherwise.  At least not without some fancy editing.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Roblar

This just shows that the ever-fluctuating exchange rate of real-world yards to internet-yards has risen to something like 1 to 1.4.

Hell I bought into them at 1:1.2843 and can't sell for beans.  What a gyp.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Similar experience here.  Started golfing officially this spring - started with the PW, etc.  Picked up a driver after a couple weeks and positively crushed them well over 300yds - past the end of the range, however far that was I'm not sure.  Talk about a one-hit wonder.. for the next couple months, I could barely get the ball off the tee.  And when I did, it was a screaming low hook.  All my shots were hooks, even the mid/low irons.  A plague.  Then I got my irons fitted and got Jumbo Dri-tac grips (I'm 6'4", 215lbs - I'm not standard-sized in any way).  That fixed most of the hook issues with the irons, so one night I went out and learned how to drive and it's been working back up.  250...260... 280. Yesterday put one 300 on the course.  But I still shot 100 the last two rounds, because it is possible to miss 3 foot putts one after the other, and to 4-putt more than one hole out of 18!

So in summary, yes, you can drive 300 and get nods of approval from your mates and still double-par a hole as they shake their heads.  Congratulations on being tall and strong.  ...Not that special.  If you need me, I'll be practicing my putting.

I would like to thank my many sponsors:

Cobra Amp 9.5* Driver; Aldila RIP Stiff 55g shaft

Titleist 904f 17* 4W; S300 shaft

Callaway X-22 3-P, reg flex, 1/2" long, 2* up

Titleist Vokey 252.08 & 256.14 wedges; standard

Ping Anser Putter (because it gives me the confidence I need to 4 putt)

Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo grips all around

Top-flite Gamer V2 ball

I'm 6'4", 210lbs, 34yo.

Originally Posted by Tax Man Golfeth

Similar experience here.  Started golfing officially this spring - started with the PW, etc.  Picked up a driver after a couple weeks and positively crushed them well over 300yds - past the end of the range, however far that was I'm not sure.  Talk about a one-hit wonder.. for the next couple months, I could barely get the ball off the tee.  And when I did, it was a screaming low hook.  All my shots were hooks, even the mid/low irons.  A plague.  Then I got my irons fitted and got Jumbo Dri-tac grips (I'm 6'4", 215lbs - I'm not standard-sized in any way).  That fixed most of the hook issues with the irons, so one night I went out and learned how to drive and it's been working back up.  250...260... 280. Yesterday put one 300 on the course.  But I still shot 100 the last two rounds, because it is possible to miss 3 foot putts one after the other, and to 4-putt more than one hole out of 18!

So in summary, yes, you can drive 300 and get nods of approval from your mates and still double-par a hole as they shake their heads.  Congratulations on being tall and strong.  ...Not that special.  If you need me, I'll be practicing my putting.

The cynics are winnig - your 2-weeks-in experience is tainted big time if using range length and no rangefinder.

After this thread I've been trying to hit a 300 yard drive late on in my bad rounds when I've got nothing else to play for. Even when gripping at the end of the shaft and hitting it out of the screws I struggle to beat 275. It made me think of the whole is golf a sport debate and are golfers athletes. Well in my experience an avarage guy can no more hit it like Bubba that he can run a 10 second 100m. Those guys are pretty special.

The cynics are winnig - your 2-weeks-in experience is tainted big time if using range length and no rangefinder.

It was far.  The flags went out to 300, then there was grass, then a berm ... over the berm.  Full disclosure - the range sloped downhill and it was windy in a good way, but no matter.  The amusing part is that for the next couple months, my 7 iron was the longest club in my bag!

I would like to thank my many sponsors:

Cobra Amp 9.5* Driver; Aldila RIP Stiff 55g shaft

Titleist 904f 17* 4W; S300 shaft

Callaway X-22 3-P, reg flex, 1/2" long, 2* up

Titleist Vokey 252.08 & 256.14 wedges; standard

Ping Anser Putter (because it gives me the confidence I need to 4 putt)

Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo grips all around

Top-flite Gamer V2 ball

I'm 6'4", 210lbs, 34yo.

I'm thinking these sorts of threads ("I hit it that far once, I think, but I don't really know, but I swing as hard as I can, but I can't break 100, but I hit it really far, HA HA, LOL") should go into the Grill Room category.  They are no more about golf than MMA.

Note: This thread is 4242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!