IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I bet there aren't that many. Swinging "all you got" not the key unless you're still making good contact. But that almost sounds like advice or a tip, and this thread is not the place for constructive comments.

I'm not suggesting that is an approach to good golf.  I'm just talking about simply proving the ability to hit one ball 300 yards one time.  Most guys I know are physically capable of hitting 1 ball out of 20 300 yds. at a range.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by vo-man

before I watched the swing videos I would have sworn this thread was a dialogue a 13 yr old.

now it seems more like a troll thread.

Ok look closely at the bottom swing . Open the swing in yourube choose 720p, go full screen and watch the slow motion ball flight. That ball went past all three of those trees on the right of the screen, but slightly out in the fairway. The two pom trees and then the regular tree a little further out. By watching the ball flight would you say that the ball went past all those three trees counting roll?  If you don't think it went near the third tree, would you for sure say that it went past those firs two pom trees in the air? It deffinatly went further then that in the air.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

Ok look closely at the bottom swing. Open the swing in yourube choose 720p, go full screen and watch the slow motion ball flight. That ball went past all three of those trees on the right of the screen, but slightly out in the fairway. The two pom trees and then the regular tree a little further out. By watching the ball flight would you say that the ball went past all those three trees counting roll?  If you don't think it went near the third tree, would you for sure say that it went past those firs two pom trees in the air? It deffinatly went further then that in the air.

My swing I posted here looks faster and better than yours, and I hit 300 yard drives once or twice a year.  And they usually involve downhill and a tailwind.  I will say that I am a doubter.  Especially from looking at your swing video, and from the stats you gave us.  If you do actually hit 300 yard drives then more power too ya.  If you don't hit anywhere near that, then don't worry about it.  You won't run into many (if any) holes that require a 300 yard drive to get a GIR.

Disputing my stated drive distances in perfectly normal. Saying the drive on my posted swing went less then 200 yards is just silly talk. There is a 211 par 3 on my home course which I have over shot the green multiple time with my 4 iron. I have even starting hitting my 5 iron on the hole,  and I don't even swing my irons to hard.

Ill be posting a new swing video soon, it may or may not shed light on the subject lol.

Sincerely, Jim

• Administrator

Ok look closely at the bottom swing. Open the swing in yourube choose 720p, go full screen and watch the slow motion ball flight. That ball went past all three of those trees on the right of the screen, but slightly out in the fairway. The two pom trees and then the regular tree a little further out. By watching the ball flight would you say that the ball went past all those three trees counting roll?  If you don't think it went near the third tree, would you for sure say that it went past those firs two pom trees in the air? It deffinatly went further then that in the air.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Let's do some math for fun.

29.97 FPS.

I measured the clubhead in two interlaced frames here at two spots. In one (field A) the clubhead travels 56°. In the other (field B) the clubhead travels 50°. So let's call this 53° "around impact."

53° out of a 360° circle is 0.1472.

Let's assume the radius of the circle is 43" (you grip down slightly on the grip) + the length of your arm to left shoulder: about 26" (trying to be generous). That's 69", but unless you completely uncock your wrists and form a straight line with the grip and your left arm, it's going to be less. We can comfortably go with 67" and that's still being quite generous to you.

So with a radius of 67" and using 2πr, we get a circumference of 420 inches.

You're swinging 0.1472 of that during the impact interval, so that's 61.8 inches. Let's round up to 62".

62" in 1/29.97 of a second (0.03336670003337) is 1858 inches per second.

1858 inches per second sounds impressive. So we plug it into Google for the quick math:

http://www.google.com/?q=1858%20inches%20per%20second%20in%20mph&output;=search

105.568182 mph

Edited ( Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:38:47 +0500) to fix my stupid math error.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That particular swing I would not even put an estimated SS on it when I posted it. It was an easier swing I took in the back yard with practice ball. I would for sure say your estimate of 90mph is very close. Ill get a new swing up soon and Hit up the trackman you linked for me, all should be settled sooner then later.

The swing with my back to the camera was a bit faster, and I'm swinging much faster now and with better technique. Accuracy is also Improving even though I've been adding more swing speed.

Sincerely, Jim

i've hit a couple drives 300, and on the same hole my wife hit it 200+. the hole where we hit doesn't look like a big slope or a lot or roll, but apparently it is.

i'm pretty confident i can get 300 with my driver, but i think i need a few more mph of swing speed. my average swing speed went up 10mph just trying my new driver so i'm sure with some work i can cruise over 100mph regularly.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

I watched both, the yard and the one where the ball flies over the trees. The ball appears to travel a decent distance in the tree vid but it still doesn't look like a very powerful swing. Your hands are really far out in front of you from beginning to end. It's tough to gauge how far those trees are but it doesn't look real far. The fundamental flaws demonstrated by your swing in that vid makes it difficult to believe the ball travelled 270y. If by chance it did it was pure luck.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I watched both, the yard and the one where the ball flies over the trees. The ball appears to travel a decent distance in the tree vid but it still doesn't look like a very powerful swing. Your hands are really far out in front of you from beginning to end. It's tough to gauge how far those trees are but it doesn't look real far. The fundamental flaws demonstrated by your swing in that vid makes it difficult to believe the ball travelled 270y. If by chance it did it was pure luck.

It for sure wasn't pure luck but I did have to tape about 7 swings to get the one good one. I actually have the other six swings on my computer, but no sense in posting them. I was thinking about heading out to the yard really quick and giving a couple swings with my three wood. Ill just wait a few days, get this driver fixed, and put up a new swing here in the future. And don't think I'm going to bail on the TackMan that iacas linked for me. I will for sure be hitting this up sometime next week and posting the results along with having them sent to Iacas.

Sincerely, Jim

It for sure wasn't pure luck but I did have to tape about 7 swings to get the one good one. I actually have the other six swings on my computer, but no sense in posting them. I was thinking about heading out to the yard really quick and giving a couple swings with my three wood. Ill just wait a few days, get this driver fixed, and put up a new swing here in the future. And don't think I'm going to bail on the TackMan that iacas linked for me. I will for sure be hitting this up sometime next week and posting the results along with having them sent to Iacas.

Go for it. The important thing is you enjoy golf. I wouldn't get too twisted over how far you hit the ball. Considering that you've admitted it's really not working for you it's really not that important. It appears you understand being more accurate would do wonders for your game. Work on that and you'll be able to say you are shooting lower rounds. That's where it's at. Hitting 1 or 2 monster drives a round and putting 1 of 4 in the fairway isn't ever going to get a round of applause.

As you've seen even if it is happening nobody really cares with those kind of stats. The reason people are impressed when the pros do it is because they do it all the time on the way to sub par scores on very difficult golf courses. Being able to crack a few good ones at the range is within the reach of every person on this forum. But that's a flawed goal. I like to be able to say I only a hit a few bad shots regardless of what club I have used.

That's why you are getting a ribbing here. We've all been through this too. It's part of being a noob.

Dave :-)

The swings I posted at that time where in no way ment to show what my max possible distances could be. More just a Common more controlled swing for me to show people what my swing was looking like at the time. This post just came up today and some people wanted to see my swing so I posted my old swings. When I made those videos, I had only hit a few long balls at the time and was just getting the hang of things. I do have two different driver swings, one that I would call normal, and one that I would power a bit more when I want to hit a long ball. The two swings I posted  where in no way ment to verify any long ball claims I made. I just linked them cause people wanted to see any swing I had available.

Sincerely, Jim

Even I am over this, but I'll have one last swing at it.

The only interesting thing is how iacas made the Pi symbol.

The OP doesn't seem to understand that his claims are not backed up by physics and I'm reasonably sure that Iacas made a case that should give the OP pause for thought. Predicatbly, it didn't.

I just came back from playing in the mud. I spent the round checking where 270 yards carry was and mentioned to a coupolke of my partners the thread I was reading this morning. Both these guys are big hitters and noone got close to 300 yards today with zero roll. When you are paying on a golf course, nota dri hard, rocky surface, 300 yards is a long way.

In any case, someone who hits the ball that far has bigger fish to fry when the rest of his game is clearly so abysmal.

What gives me the shits is that someone comes on here after playing golf for 10 weeks and thinks that he is making sense to someone like me who, seriously, has pretty much seen it all in 40+ years of golf.

I have seen a lot of young guys with modern gear who DO hit the ball 300 on occasion and some who consistently hit it 270 or 280. And they are plus handicappers.

In any case, the 326 would be the one where a pro hits is 390 under the ridiculously advantageous conditions he's playing under, so that would make the 300 bombs Jimbo is hitting 220.

Jimbo - Iacas was saying to you that your swing speed is most likely in the low 80s range which makes your claims a physical impossibility in real world conditions.

images.jpeg

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Maybe he lives on the moon.  I think I could hit it 300 on the moon.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by Shorty

Even I am over this, but I'll have one last swing at it.

The only interesting thing is how iacas made the Pi symbol.

The OP doesn't seem to understand that his claims are not backed up by physics and I'm reasonably sure that Iacas made a case that should give the OP pause for thought. Predicatbly, it didn't.

I just came back from playing in the mud. I spent the round checking where 270 yards carry was and mentioned to a coupolke of my partners the thread I was reading this morning. Both these guys are big hitters and noone got close to 300 yards today with zero roll. When you are paying on a golf course, nota dri hard, rocky surface, 300 yards is a long way.

In any case, someone who hits the ball that far has bigger fish to fry when the rest of his game is clearly so abysmal.

What gives me the shits is that someone comes on here after playing golf for 10 weeks and thinks that he is making sense to someone like me who, seriously, has pretty much seen it all in 40+ years of golf.

I have seen a lot of young guys with modern gear who DO hit the ball 300 on occasion and some who consistently hit it 270 or 280. And they are plus handicappers.

In any case, the 326 would be the one where a pro hits is 390 under the ridiculously advantageous conditions he's playing under, so that would make the 300 bombs Jimbo is hitting 220.

Jimbo - Iacas was saying to you that your swing speed is most likely in the low 80s range which makes your claims a physical impossibility in real world conditions.

Been golfing for 10 weeks now, and I posted a conservative swing 6 weeks back, and that is now somehow proof that it was my fastest swing speed possible. This is just not true, I was barley swinging at the ball that you guys are talking about. It wasn't even a real ball, it was a plastic ball in my back yard. I went out set up the camera and took one swing and posted it. The swing I posted a few days later was a bit quicker ss and it was also a conservative swing. I tried to belt a few there but kept slicing badly, so backed off a little  and got one in that I could post.

I still don't even get how you think I'm only driving 220 ROFL. Like I said I can hit my 4 iron 220, and I can hit it 200+ probably two out of three swings. The first time I ever swung at golf balls was 11 weeks ago at the driving range the day after I bought my driver. I hit multiple 250 yard drives that day, maybe 10 out of a 240 balls.

Sincerely, Jim

Been golfing for 10 weeks now, and I posted a conservative swing 6 weeks back, and that is now somehow proof that it was my fastest swing speed possible. This is just not true, I was barley swinging at the ball that you guys are talking about. It wasn't even a real ball, it was a plastic ball in my back yard. I went out set up the camera and took one swing and posted it. The swing I posted a few days later was a bit quicker ss and it was also a conservative swing. I tried to belt a few there but kept slicing badly, so backed off a little  and got one in that I could post.

I still don't even get how you think I'm only driving 220 ROFL. Like I said I can hit my 4 iron 220, and I can hit it 200+ probably two out of three swings. The first time I ever swung at golf balls was 11 weeks ago at the driving range the day after I bought my driver. I hit multiple 250 yard drives that day, maybe 10 out of a 240 balls.

Don't worry about it.  You have already clearly stated that you are going to take Erik up on his suggestion for a teacher/trackman session, and good for you if you follow up on it.  Whatever the results, I would hope you post them here, even if it proves you were mistaken.  Most of the guys on here are quite reasonable and if you show them you were right, they will congratulate you.  If it works out the other way, you take your medicine and move on.

I personally have no opinion on the subject.  What I will say, though, is that assuming my math is correct, you have a lot of potential.  SImply because you said you have been golfing for 10 weeks and posted a swing that was 6 weeks old ... that means your swings in that thread were from somebody who had golfed for 4 weeks???  Even if you do only hit it 220, you are off to a great start.

Having spent a number of years in Las Vegas, I know how one could be lulled into thinking they are a long ball hitter.  You're playing at 3000 feet, the temps are over 100°, the fairways are baked so you will get 50+ yards of roll, especially on a muni course that doesn't water its fairways too much.

Another potential for confusing distance is the layout of the Desert Rose driving range.  If I recall, the side fences run out at an angle, almost like a triangle, with the absolute far end being only 10 yards wide.  Perhaps Jim is midjudging what part of the fence his drives were going over.

Anyway, the launch monitor data will show us something. I hope Jim follows through; however, there have been plenty of guys who suddenly vanish from the Sand Trap when asked to provide that kind of "proof".

Originally Posted by Sandy Trap

I think his point is less about people believing him, and more of a concern that so many people on here feel the need to be so rude.

Most of the keyboard warriors on here would never talk to you the same way in real life.  They have miserable lives and feel the need to take out their frustration on internet strangers.  It's pathetic.  I'm with OP on this one.

Wanna bet? I tear my own FRIENDS a new a$$hole when they say they can drive "300". Think I would care at all telling a complete stranger they are bull$hitting to their face? If he can prove me wrong, so be it.

But I won't believe a 27 handicap has the technique to hit 300 till I see it.

Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!