IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

You've regressed.

:cry::whistle:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very nice! It is amazing how naturally things come at that age. Love the socks!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

You've regressed. :cry: :whistle:

LMAO. That was my first thought too, gee I bet @Golfingdad wishes he could hit that position now. Less brain, more body!!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Very nice! It is amazing how naturally things come at that age. Love the socks!

No kidding:

Hidden in a spoiler since it's not really on topic.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No kidding: [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/86143/] [/URL] Hidden in a spoiler since it's not really on topic. [/SPOILER]

Geez, it only took me 33 years to find an impact position half that good. BTW, I hope you have a great birthday GD!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Yep that A5.5 is awesome.  Then you played too much baseball! :-$

Hope you have a great birthday, sorry I couldn't make it, up in the Bay Area.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 months later...

Here is the latest video I sent in to Evolvr ...

During this session I'm working on trying to get my legs straighter at impact.  I don't have a particularly good feel for this yet (as you can see by the awkward end of my rehearsals) but I've got a little more direction from @sk golf on the last lesson.  "It's an athletic move ... might feel like I'm jumping."  I know what it looks like when others do it - Tiger Woods for one, Lexi Thompson as well - but I haven't translated it yet to something I can understand.

Anywho's ... on this last lesson he also added another piece:  The exact same thing @Ernest Jones is working on, shallowing out the shaft from A4-A5-A6.  You can see in DTL that as soon as I start the downswing, the shaft angle gets steep and points well inside the golf ball.  Using some of the feels @iacas suggested for Ernest today, I went out to the range and had a pretty good time.

A lot of rehearsals in slow motion, a few poses at A4-A6 with an alignment stick coming out the butt end of my shaft so I can see where I'm pointing, and in between I hit a few balls.  The feel that seemed to work the best was feeling like my left wrist was rotating clockwise as I was starting the downswing.  I don't know the terminology yet ... is that "palmar flexion?"  I don't know ... anyways, I know that move is OK because James had suggested it in a past lesson.

Also, combine this with the fact that I'm working on a slightly weaker grip to eliminate any overdraws, and I've got my work cut out for me!!

Looking good, A4 is solid!

A lot of rehearsals in slow motion, a few poses at A4-A6 with an alignment stick coming out the butt end of my shaft so I can see where I'm pointing, and in between I hit a few balls.  The feel that seemed to work the best was feeling like my left wrist was rotating clockwise as I was starting the downswing.  I don't know the terminology yet ... is that "palmar flexion?"  I don't know ... anyways, I know that move is OK because James had suggested it in a past lesson.

Palmar flexion

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Looking good, A4 is solid! Palmar flexion [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/89730/] [/URL]

Thanks! Stephan said the same thing ... It's the best I've looked yet at A4. It's very encouraging to hear! And thanks for the DJ pic ... That is exactly what I'm trying to feel, just not quite that extreme. :). And palmar flexion sounds a lot fancier than "trying to rev the motorcycle engine." ;)

Here is the latest video I sent in to Evolvr ...

During this session I'm working on trying to get my legs straighter at impact.  I don't have a particularly good feel for this yet (as you can see by the awkward end of my rehearsals) but I've got a little more direction from @sk golf on the last lesson.  "It's an athletic move ... might feel like I'm jumping."  I know what it looks like when others do it - Tiger Woods for one, Lexi Thompson as well - but I haven't translated it yet to something I can understand.

This is where I finally was able to get this picture on the right.  I really like this move, it is athletic, but it also feels almost violent/powerful.  It has to be, because it pretty much happens from A5.5 or so to A7.  I can't image how Tiger did it for so long with flaring that left foot out.  Hurts my knee just thinking about it.  I sometimes like to feel this from A5.5-A7.  I just hold the club at about A5.5 and then fire the hips/legs, when I do it right the club head has no choice but to throw itself towards impact. You can see how using this feel like "jumping" or whatever it is for you to be correct adds so much speed to the swing, and shallows out the AOA at the same time.  This is a great move.   I tried to get this for a long time by feeling the pushing into the ground with the left leg, or squashing something under the left foot.  All that I would do is squat into the downswing lowering my center and head and I am not fast or strong enough to get out of that quickly enough and hit a lot of fat shots.  So just keep trying different feels, it will come.

Anywho's ... on this last lesson he also added another piece:  The exact same thing @Ernest Jones is working on, shallowing out the shaft from A4-A5-A6.  You can see in DTL that as soon as I start the downswing, the shaft angle gets steep and points well inside the golf ball.  Using some of the feels @iacas suggested for Ernest today, I went out to the range and had a pretty good time.

Also, combine this with the fact that I'm working on a slightly weaker grip to eliminate any overdraws, and I've got my work cut out for me!!

Very nice changes with this well done.   That is great stuff!  Keep at it.  I really like your A4 in this as well.

Nate

This is where I finally was able to get this picture on the right.  I really like this move, it is athletic, but it also feels almost violent/powerful.  It has to be, because it pretty much happens from A5.5 or so to A7.  I can't image how Tiger did it for so long with flaring that left foot out.  Hurts my knee just thinking about it.  I sometimes like to feel this from A5.5-A7.  I just hold the club at about A5.5 and then fire the hips/legs, when I do it right the club head has no choice but to throw itself towards impact. You can see how using this feel like "jumping" or whatever it is for you to be correct adds so much speed to the swing, and shallows out the AOA at the same time.  This is a great move.   I tried to get this for a long time by feeling the pushing into the ground with the left leg, or squashing something under the left foot.  All that I would do is squat into the downswing lowering my center and head and I am not fast or strong enough to get out of that quickly enough and hit a lot of fat shots.  So just keep trying different feels, it will come.

Very nice changes with this well done.   That is great stuff!  Keep at it.  I really like your A4 in this as well.

Thanks Nathan!!  Sometimes just hearing people describe their issues gives you ideas.  Your first bold sentence reminded me of this old video on Shawn's swing thread.  I think this drill would be a good place for me to start trying to isolate that "jumping" feel (skip to 1:01):

And then your other bold sentence reminded me of a video that Mike made a long time ago (I thought it was also from Beach's swing thread but couldn't find it) where he was talking about something similar.  I can picture it ... he's standing in a parking lot squishing bugs and taking partial swings. ;)

Anyways, I'll be trying these feels out soon.  Thanks!!

Good luck, it is a great one when you find that feel that clicks for it!

Nate

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher

Thanks Nathan!!  Sometimes just hearing people describe their issues gives you ideas.  Your first bold sentence reminded me of this old video on Shawn's swing thread.  I think this drill would be a good place for me to start trying to isolate that "jumping" feel (skip to 1:01):

And then your other bold sentence reminded me of a video that Mike made a long time ago (I thought it was also from Beach's swing thread but couldn't find it) where he was talking about something similar.  I can picture it ... he's standing in a parking lot squishing bugs and taking partial swings. ;)

Dana's voice is the sound of improvement. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Here is the unedited video of my first attempt at this little half-swing "jumping" drill.  With a 7 iron, and including one full swing at the end for kicks ...

And here are a couple of PW's at the end of this practice session.  It sort of felt David Duval-y or Annika-y to me, in that in my "jumping" I seemed to want to look up.  I hit these both really well too, by the way.

• Administrator

Here is the unedited video of my first attempt at this little half-swing "jumping" drill.  With a 7 iron, and including one full swing at the end for kicks ...

Can you squat more before the jumping? It's tough to jump when you don't have much knee flex. Some people can't jump a bunch (almost nobody can do Tiger level jumps… including sometimes Tiger when he fats his 3W sometimes), but I think you can do a bit more.

Can you squat more before the jumping? It's tough to jump when you don't have much knee flex. Some people can't jump a bunch (almost nobody can do Tiger level jumps… including sometimes Tiger when he fats his 3W sometimes), but I think you can do a bit more.

Sure, I don't see why not.  I'll give it a try next time out.  Thanks!

Note: This thread is 1286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!