IGNORED

Experience with teaching girlfriends how to golf?

CollegeGolfer
Note: This thread is 3601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just got back from playing 9 with the wifey.  We were supposed to play 18 but she wanted to quit at the turn (always does).  I played pretty well . .making 4 pars, 2 bogeys a double and 2 quads.  My wife made at least triple on every hole, quit on half of them and was pretty much pissed off the whole time because a year ago, when she practiced regularly for a few months, she could hit them better.  This is pretty much how it goes everytime.  Are you sure you want to teach your girlfriend?

Need i say more? Is he old fashioned too?

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

No, but I married a humdinger of a female.  I love her to death, but...  lets just say damn good looking does not = considerate, self-less, & understanding.  I wrote that post mainly for enjoyment, but mostly from experiance.  Not every man is blessed enuff to find a perfect woman.

Men, we fall into one of two catagories:  you are either one of the fortunate ones who doesnt realize how whipped into shape you are, or you haven't been married long enough to see the needy side of a woman.  Ten years and a few kids into a marriage and she'll try to have you tuned up like a NASCAR.  It's in their genetics...

Ha. My first wife was like that. Just make sure you don't have kids with her so you can make a clean get away. Accepting the "whipped" portion of married makes marriage easier however there are some women who take advantage of their husbands.

Everybody has their comfort zone Some like spending all their time with there sig other and some are able to spend time away without making a big deal about the time away. If you are a self reliant person married to a clingy attention ***** (I mean that in a matter of fact way) things are just not going to work. But we are off topic...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Im torn on which of these two subjects to jump in on.

Can a high handicapper teach someone basics?

I think handicap has little to do with it as there are many things that go with this. I am really a very good hockey player but I couldn't teach it. I am impatient and a bad teacher especially with women I would kind of represent one of scottyjoes comments and say something like this was a mistake and cause a huge fight and completely regret it all together. but that is for the next portion of this comment.

With that being said I dont think I have very good fundamentals as I dont feel some of those things work for me. i dig deep into the ground and leave a big divot. I have about 4 different types of shots with the driver depending on which one works for the day. I do however read these forums alot and believe I have good concept of the basics and could teach the fundamentals to a point.

How women respond to the teaching stuff and Scotty Joes opinions?

I dont think he is too far off. I am one of the impatient guys and it could very well cause a fight. If i was the amazing whacker and I got to go out and golf and I took my gf with me and she wanted to leave after 9 I would be pretty pissed. I dont get to golf too often and the only way Im playing 9 is if its an executive or I run out of light. I would be really pissed when it turns into ruining my golf time. I am happy to go to the range and try and show her and all that but when it starts ruing MY time. I am going to have a problem.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by kregan

Don't most women need to swing differently then a man to hit any distance?

Not a whole lot as far as I know, the one significant disadvantage women have versus men is the superior forearm /hand strength men have, and this comes into play when hitting out of deep rough, women and children need to just pitch out to the fairway in a lot of these instances.

Originally Posted by onesome

Not a whole lot as far as I know, the one significant disadvantage women have versus men is the superior forearm /hand strength men have, and this comes into play when hitting out of deep rough, women and children need to just pitch out to the fairway in a lot of these instances.

Haha. Tell that to Serena Williams!

Originally Posted by Spyder

I've never seen Serena Williams play golf. She does have more pent up aggression than the average heavyweight boxer though, but most of her power comes from shrieking at impact and making the ball run away from her, not actual arm strength.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by Spyder

serena williams? now there's a man i'd hate to fight.

(for the chappelle fans out there)

i do have to remind my wife when she's in the rough to not decelerate and she does hit the occasional weak slice out of the rough, but then again i hit a slightly stronger weak slice out of the same stuff and i doubt anyone would consider me to be dainty. the rough at the little executive course we go to is basically not maintained at all.

• Upvote 1

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

I've never seen Serena Williams play golf. She does have more pent up aggression than the average heavyweight boxer though, but most of her power comes from shrieking at impact and making the ball run away from her, not actual arm strength.

lol I was definitely joking. I'm just saying that there are definitely some exceptions to the rule out there and there are women much stronger than average men out there.

Originally Posted by tiger187126

serena williams? now there's a man i'd hate to fight.

(for the chappelle fans out there)

i do have to remind my wife when she's in the rough to not decelerate and she does hit the occasional weak slice out of the rough, but then again i hit a slightly stronger weak slice out of the same stuff and i doubt anyone would consider me to be dainty. the rough at the little executive course we go to is basically not maintained at all.

Haha, I was almost going to say "Mr. Serena Williams". That is pretty funny stuff.

after a 4 hr round turned into a 7 hr day my wife decided she'd like to come and at least ride in the cart with me. Sundays are our only days off together and we need to spend more time together. I play with her brothers, so I hope they don't mind too much.

Originally Posted by Wisguy

I'm regretting this experience to this day, as there are several cars I'd really like to own that she is vetoing because they only come in a manual.

I don't understand your problem.  I have owned a couple roadsters, the last one with the active encouragement of my wife.  No way is she interested in damaging the gearbox (nor would she ever get the chance) and that's just fine.  The German engineering might take it OK, my engineering mightn't.

It's just like golf clubs - you and she should have your own sets/motors.

My wife rides in the cart sometimes, e.g. at Pebble and Spyglass, and seems to enjoy it.  The sight of me suffering perhaps ...... [only kidding]

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by VMAN

Serious overthink all around here.

+1

I see guys and their SO's/wives on the range all the time.  Generally she seems to be having a reasonable time of it (what can you expect, she's learning to play FLOG) and he is being very patient and understanding.

Fear is the great moderator ;)

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Okay guys rule # 1 have fun damn it the game is fun. If you can have a good time with your wife or girl friend then by all means enjoy.  Teaching someone the basics can be simple first rule hit the ball move it forward.  Getting someone involved is the first step hard stuff can come later. Chill with the lessons just let someone enjoy the together time then if they want to get better you can "invest" in more expensive options.  Bull Durham  " This game is fun damn it, lets have some fun".

Originally Posted by johnwayne

Okay guys rule # 1 have fun damn it the game is fun. If you can have a good time with your wife or girl friend then by all means enjoy.  Teaching someone the basics can be simple first rule hit the ball move it forward.  Getting someone involved is the first step hard stuff can come later. Chill with the lessons just let someone enjoy the together time then if they want to get better you can "invest" in more expensive options.  Bull Durham  " This game is fun damn it, lets have some fun".

+1

I couldn't agree more. I just taught my girlfriend how to play this year and it's a great way to spend a couple hours.  I grew up golfing with my Dad and now I can share those same memories and make new ones with my girlfriend.  She doesn't have to be a pro golfer or take expensive lessons, as long as we're both having fun we're both happy.

• 1 year later...

My father gave me some advice years ago:

Never teach your wife to drive a standard, and never teach your wife to play bridge.

I'm adding "golf" to the list! Let someone else do it - she'll listen to them in a way she'll never listen to you, and you won't get as frustrated when you tell her she's bending her wrists and she says she's not, as her wrists hinge back and forth like a broken gate.

I use to teach SCUBA ... I split husband and wives/girlfriends up the first night of class ... made my job a LOT easier ...

I made sure this version of WIFE did not play golf, but fully supported golf playing/watching ... I tried upgrading the last version of WIFE, but that ended in an ABEND ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

It seems strange how many guys say their wife would become angry with them.  It doesn't make much sense to me, I'm guessing you're coming across like an ass if this is the response you're getting from your woman.  In fact, when I've been on the range and noticed a guy teaching their kids or wife and over half the time the guy is coming across like an impatient whiny nag.

I think it is better to let someone else teach your wife. After living with their husband, wives often find it hard to take them serious. Plus you can't be blamed for their poor play...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 3601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!