IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Standings

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are only three weeks remaining for top American professionals, and four weeks for Europeans, to earn points toward qualifying for this year's Ryder Cup, to be held in September at the Medinah Country Club outside Chicago. With a South African and an Australian golfer claiming the top two positions at the Open Championship, no one player made a substantial move toward an automatic berth on their respective teams, although Brandt Snedeker made a case for one of the USA team's captain's picks. As of the Open Championship, here are the current team qualification standings...

UNITED STATES

($1000 in earnings equals one point during 2011 majors and 2012 full-field PGA Tour events, two points during 2012 majors, and one-half point during 2012 alternate-field events; top eight players automatically qualify, four captain's picks)

1. Tiger Woods (5,598.863)
  2. Bubba Watson (5,446.483)
  3. Jason Dufner (5,383.502)
  4. Webb Simpson (4,635.500)
  5. Zach Johnson (4,402.544)
  6. Matt Kuchar (4,292.112)
  7. Phil Mickelson (4,107.108)
  8. Hunter Mahan (4,022.923)
  9. Keegan Bradley (3,382.206)
  10. Rickie Fowler (3,268.838)
  11. Brandt Snedeker (3,099.707)
  12. Dustin Johnson (2,920.770)
  13. Steve Stricke r (2,898.069)
  14. Bo Van Pelt (2,662.165)
  15. Jim Furyk (2,653.116)

EUROPE

(European points list: €1 in earnings equals one point during European Tour-sanctioned events over 52-week span ending with 2012 Johnnie Walker Championship - top five players automatically qualify; World points list: total Official World Golf Rankings points earned over 52-week span ending with 2012 Johnnie Walker Championship - top five players not already exempt automatically qualify; two captain's picks)

European Points List

1. Rory McIlroy (2,635,952.52)
  2. Graeme McDowell (2,197,505.29)
  3. Justin Rose (2,062,615.50)
  4. Paul Lawrie (2,033,778.14)
  5. Francesco Molinari (2,001,002.18)
  6. Martin Kaymer (1,814,796.42)
  7. Peter Hanson (1,801,021.67)
  8. Luke Donald (1,746,016.38)
  9. Nicolas Colsaerts (1,690,342.14)
  10. Lee Westwood (1,656,035.42)

World Points List

1. Rory McIlroy (352.09)
  2. Luke Donald (349.76)
  3. Lee Westwood (280.27)
  4. Justin Rose (277.11)
  5. Graeme McDowell (248.16)
  6. Francesco Molinari (181.59)
  7. Paul Lawrie (177.29)
  8. Peter Hanson ( 173.57)
  9. Martin Kaymer (168.99)
  10. Sergio Garcia (155.58)
  11. Nicolas Colsaerts (150.80)
  12. Ian Poulter (139.87)
  13. Rafael Cabrera-Bello (137.18)
  14. Gonzalo Fernandez-Castaňo (132.06)
  15. Thomas Bjørn (120.56)

As it stands right now, it appears that the top eight Americans have separated themselves from the pack, and nothing less than a win in the Canadian Open, WGC-Bridgestone Championship, or the PGA Championship will move any of the players from ninth on down into an automatically-qualifying position. However, that will make the battle for the four captain's selections extremely competitive in the closing weeks.

In Europe, it would appear that nine of the ten automatically-qualifying positions are wrapped up. McIlroy is likely the only lock from the European points list at this point, put any of the next four players would be in via the World points list should they be surpassed on earnings by any other player in the top 10. The only player really on the bubble is Garcia, who could lose his spot to Colsaerts by being surpassed on the World points list or (much less likely) by Colsaerts moving into the top five in European points, thus ceding a World points spot to a player currently set to qualify in the former category.

The Americans look to be in better form in 2012 than in years past. Two years ago, Jeff Overton qualified for Team USA without a PGA Tour victory on his resume; all of the current top eight has won on Tour this year, with four having scored multiple wins. Only Donald has won more than once this season among the Europeans; McDowell, Hanson, Kaymer, and Garcia haven't won at all.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

It certainly seems like the Americans should be heavily favored this year.  Looking at the US top 8, all of these guys have logged wins and are playing well pretty much every week.  The last two Cups I've been afraid to watch.  This year will be good.

I hope Sergio hangs on and makes the Euro team.  It would be great to see a Tiger-Sergio matchup at Medinah; Tiger won the last two majors played there, and Sergio was 2nd in 99 (including the frolic on the 16th) and 3rd in 2006.  With all of the bad press Sergio has had lately, will be nice to see some more positive storylines from his past pop up.

Would also be nice to see Hale Irwin get involved in the US effort.  His victory lap around the 18th green is one of my all time favorite golf memories, and I've always associated Medinah with that moment.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the American side is going to be sorry if they don't get Dustin Johnson in there.  Still though, the American side seems to be pretty stacked though, especially if Hunter Mahan and Webb Simpson peak.

I hope Sergio hangs on and makes the Euro team.  It would be great to see a Tiger-Sergio matchup at Medinah; Tiger won the last two majors played there, and Sergio was 2nd in 99 (including the frolic on the 16th) and 3rd in 2006.  With all of the bad press Sergio has had lately, will be nice to see some more positive storylines from his past pop up.

Sergio isn't at risk of being off the team; remember who the European captain is this year. If Colsaerts overtakes him in the World points, he'll be Olazabal's first captain's pick. Whether Sergio makes the team automatically or not, though, is of great concern to the other players in contention for one of those selections. Garcia, Cabrera-Bello, Fernandez-Castano, and Alvaro Quiros are 11th to 14th in the European points, and it's fair to assume that Olazabal will use one of his selections on a fellow Spaniard. If Garcia doesn't make it in automatically, the other three will be shut out. Then there's Poulter, who hasn't played his best golf this year, but is a proven quality in the Ryder Cup. I don't think Olazabal would select him over Colsaerts if Garcia holds onto the last AQ spot, but if Colsaerts makes the team automatically and Sergio is the first captain's pick, Poulter suddenly becomes the logical choice for the 12th roster spot.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

And I'm sure everyone was stoked to hear Justin Timberlake was named an honorary team captain. The US team is bringing sexy back?

No mention of Paddy - not surprised but he has been a regular for a long time.

I think Poulter's matchplay record gets him a selection no matter what.

Looking forward to the PGA at another ex Ryder Cup venue - not sure Calc and Langer will be so keen.

• 2 weeks later...

If I was picking the US team today, I would likely just go with the top 12 not knowing too much about who the course favors.

How it will play out this week is anyone`s guess but the top 5 seem to be virtual locks to make the top 8 points and would likely be selected even if they don`t. Z Johnson and Kuchar likely just need a decent week to remain top 8 and at this point I would take them regardless of what they do this week, but Love doesn`t have to make his picks until September, so anyone outside the top 8 will have to show decent form in the Playoffs.

It is hard too pass on Phil, but he hasn`t been better than 43rd since May, so it would be nice if he played well this week or makes a solid showing in the Playoffs if he ends up outside the top 8.

Mahon has also tailed off since 2 early wins, but did have a top 5 at Tiger`s event last month so it would be surprising if he didn`t make his 3rd straight Ryder Cup (where he has a winning record even with his chilli dip 2 years ago).

At #10 currently,  I  would take Stricker unless he really loses his game.

Furyk has lots of experience, has played well recently, but a few recent blow ups and a losing Ryder Cup record overall means he has to show he can bounce back from #18 yesterday.

Fowler was impressive in his first Ryder Cup and played really well in late April and May, but has been t31 to t60 since.  With that said, he would be on my team if he shows decent form.

Outside the top 12, I  think Dustin Johnson merits a hard look- he was only 1-3 in his first Ryder Cup, but he has 4 top 20s including a win and t9 in 7 events since coming back from an injury that sidelined him for almost 3 months.

The rest in the top 18 still have a chance, but would have to play very well between now and when the Captain`s picks are made.  Scott Piercy has been doing just that with 16 rounds in a row at 70 or under including 13 in a row in the 60s and his second win in the last 12 months last week in Canada.  He has only made the cut twice in 4 majors (3 US Opens and  last years PGA where he was t26), so a high finish this week or in the playoffs would help to prove he can perform on the big stage.

2012 PGA TOUR RYDER CUP POINTS
Select Year:
Y-T-D statistics through: World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational Aug 05, 2012
RANK
THIS
WEEK
RANK
LAST
WEEK
PLAYER EVENTS POINTS
1 1 Tiger Woods 16 5,727.613
2 3 Jason Dufner 20 5,593.502
3 2 Bubba Watson 18 5,528.483
4 9 Keegan Bradley 21 4,782.206
5 4 Webb Simpson 19 4,635.500
6 5 Zach Johnson 23 4,461.544
7 6 Matt Kuchar 21 4,448.942
8 7 Phil Mickelson 21 4,163.608
9 8 Hunter Mahan 22 4,082.228
10 13 Steve Stricker 18 3,563.069
11 15 Jim Furyk 22 3,318.116
12 10 Rickie Fowler 22 3,313.338
13 11 Brandt Snedeker 20 3,176.787
14 12 Dustin Johnson 18 3,002.770
15 14 Bo Van Pelt 23 2,952.981
16 17 Bill Haas 22 2,460.767
17 16 Robert Garrigus 22 2,459.247
18 18 Scott Piercy 24 2,379.096
19 20 Kyle Stanley 24 2,341.219
20 19 Kevin Na 24 2,309.783

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

The team stats look solid but as an overall team there are some names that make me nervous.

Dufner earned his position there, but some of his high finishes came during weeks when the competition wasn't at it's best.   Bubba also makes me nervous, not sure how much golf he's playing these days.

I would like to see Dustin Johnson make it in, he's a guy that can make a difference if he gets hot at the right time, but they already have a few volatile guys in the Top 8.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Originally Posted by newtogolf

Dufner earned his position there, but some of his high finishes came during weeks when the competition wasn't at it's best.

Like the playoff at the 2011 PGA? Or finishing T4 at the U.S. Open? Or his finish at the WGC yesterday (7th)? I think he's done pretty well for himself this year. :)

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/025686/jason-dufner/season/#uber

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I reckon the top 7 are locked in for the Europeans. Peter Hanson in 8th has done little this season, apart from his run at The Masters. There's also Martin Kaymer. Ever since his win at the HSBC, he's done nothing. Sergio hasn't missed many cuts but has struggled to any better than around the top 25.

Looking at the teams and how there form is I'd be very surprised if the US didn't pull off a victory. I mean just compare Steve Stricker to Rafael Cabrera-Bello.

Originally Posted by Lefty536

I reckon the top 7 are locked in for the Europeans. Peter Hanson in 8th has done little this season, apart from his run at The Masters. There's also Martin Kaymer. Ever since his win at the HSBC, he's done nothing. Sergio hasn't missed many cuts but has struggled to any better than around the top 25.

Looking at the teams and how there form is I'd be very surprised if the US didn't pull off a victory. I mean just compare Steve Stricker to Rafael Cabrera-Bello.

No movement at all in the European team standings after Firestone, with the only change in the standings being Justin Rose leapfrogging Graeme McDowell for second on the European points list with his T-5 finish. Rafael Cabrera-Bello missed a huge opportunity to guarantee himself a spot on the roster, shooting 10-over on the final two days after starting the weekend one shot out of the lead; barring a big result at Kiawah, his fate will rest at the hands of Captain Olazabal.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if Mickelson doesn't make the US team by points he won't accept a captains pick.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if Mickelson doesn't make the US team by points he won't accept a captains pick.

Youre right. No reason a hall of fame player with 20 years of Ryder and Prez Cup appearances, and a tour win this year, should think he's worthy to be on the Ryder Cup team.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

You're right, he's done pretty well.  I was referring to his wins at Zurich (2 weeks after Masters) and HP Byron Nelson (week after The Players) and 2nd place at Crowne Plaza (2 weeks after The Players).  I did forget about his T4 at U.S. Open.

Originally Posted by iacas

Like the playoff at the 2011 PGA? Or finishing T4 at the U.S. Open? Or his finish at the WGC yesterday (7th)? I think he's done pretty well for himself this year. :)

http://www.pgatour.com/golfers/025686/jason-dufner/season/#uber

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by k-troop

Youre right. No reason a hall of fame player with 20 years of Ryder and Prez Cup appearances, and a tour win this year, should think he's worthy to be on the Ryder Cup team.

I think he's more than worthy to be on the team but if he isn't playing well or is having problems with his arthritis I don't think he would accept a captains pick. I'm a fan of Phil but he just strikes as the type who if he doesn't think that he can help the team he would pass to give a younger guy a chance. He could also play well this week and secure his spot by points than none of this matters.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I think he's more than worthy to be on the team but if he isn't playing well or is having problems with his arthritis I don't think he would accept a captains pick. I'm a fan of Phil but he just strikes as the type who if he doesn't think that he can help the team he would pass to give a younger guy a chance. He could also play well this week and secure his spot by points than none of this matters.

To be as good as Phil (and a lot of lesser players) you have to have tremendous confidence.  Phil has shown in the past that he can be playing mediocre (for him) and then go out and win a tournament.  As an example, in his 3 events before his win this year, he was t49, MC & t26.  In the 5 events before winning the 2009 Tour Championship, his best finish was t27.

My point is that unless he is hurt without a chance to recover in time for the matches, I think Phil will truly believe that he can help the team even if his recent results are not as good as some other players.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by newtogolf

You're right, he's done pretty well.  I was referring to his wins at Zurich (2 weeks after Masters) and HP Byron Nelson (week after The Players) and 2nd place at Crowne Plaza (2 weeks after The Players).  I did forget about his T4 at U.S. Open.

I like Dufner - i actually think he is very unappreciated...he is in the fairway all day. i think he would / will be a great partner in team match play. personally will be looking for 3 points from him and will absolutely be bettting on him in the matchups!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

The eight qualifiers for Team USA are locked in. The 2012 United States Ryder Cup team, as of right now, consists of...

Tiger Woods (1st in standings; 7th appearance)

Bubba Watson (2nd; 2nd appearance)

Jason Dufner (3rd; 1st appearance)

Keegan Bradley (4th; 1st appearance)

Webb Simpson (5th; 1st appearance)

Zach Johnson (6th; 3rd appearance)

Matt Kuchar (7th; 2nd appearance)

Phil Mickelson (8th; 9th appearance)

Team USA captain Davis Love III now has three weeks to deliberate over who will receive his four wild-card selections, which will be announced on September 4, after the conclusion of the Deutsche Bank Championship.

Note: This thread is 4246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!