IGNORED

+The Long Drive Thread+

Darksun22
Note: This thread is 4118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Even though Long Drives are not the name of the game, A lot of people seem to be interested in the new fad of bombing the ball. I am one of these people. Distance sells, and its a good runner up prize if you can't shoot in the 70s.

You will see a lot of people making the 300+ claims with no proof. But we are all golfers here, we have all played with a Ton of golfers and we all know that 95% of the claims are false.

I wanted to start this thread to those who love the long drive, or those who think they can drive 300+. Show us what you got.

Ill start this bad boy off with some stats of my own.

I'm a amateur Long Driver. Im 24 years old 6'3 225lbs and my current Handicap is 14.8 as of yesterday.  Even though I have a high handicap, I take pride in smashing golf balls. My longest ball in a Comp was 358 yds.  There is no telling my longest ever, but I would not doubt I've put a few over 360-370 on the range from the thousands i've hit. I've drove multiple par 4s and hit some monster bombs from elevate tee boxes and downhill landing areas.

I can stripe one 330-340 with my regular driver ( a TM burner 2.0  10.5*) on the range pretty consistently.

I can also hit my stock TM burner 18* rescue club into the 300s  (which seems to get more attention than my driver is why I mention it)

Below is 2 videos I made for a different thread, but ill post them here for people to look at.

When I made the videos I was rushed for time (you will see my wife in the white shorts telling me to come on in the hybrid video) So I just got up and hit a few balls after 36 holes of golf. So i was already a little tired.

It was not my best attempts, but it is unedited and all I have right now.

The first one is my regular driver, with my regular driver swing.  The second one is my hybrid.  I'm waiting on my LD driver to be fixed right now and ill post my LD Driver Video with my LD Driver swing.

What do you think?  Can you do better? Lets see what the beasts on this site have in them.

Finally an own thread

But seriously, I don't think I'm capable to contribute anything, although I'm interested to see what other people can do. I'm more of an accuracy over distance kind of guy (I know, poor excuse
).

Keep up the good work!

909D2 9.5 Stiff
Z-TX 3-H Stiff
Z-TX 4-PW Reg.
CG15 DSG 52 & 56
CG12 60 degree
Trinidad (CS)

hey, wasn't sure if you were going to make this thread or not... nice!

Me, I'm not a long bomber yet, but I do share in the thrill when those rare moments come where I make a nice rhythmic swing and land it on the sweet spot. My longest has probably been close to or maybe even slightly beyond 300 but no video for proof. All I have to go by is that I scaled the back of the net at my local driving range which is approx 220 yards out and 40 - 50 feet high... based on the trajectory, i'm guessing 275 - 300...

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by divot dave

hey, wasn't sure if you were going to make this thread or not... nice!

Me, I'm not a long bomber yet, but I do share in the thrill when those rare moments come where I make a nice rhythmic swing and land it on the sweet spot. My longest has probably been close to or maybe even slightly beyond 300 but no video for proof. All I have to go by is that I scaled the back of the net at my local driving range which is approx 220 yards out and 40 - 50 feet high... based on the trajectory, i'm guessing 275 - 300...

Thanks for supporting the thread. I'm glad you get the same thrill out of hitting a nice long ball.

Sounds like you are making a good bit of power.  I learned a lot from reading some stuff Jamie S. (The long drive champ) has written. You may want to read some of his articles if your interested in getting a few more yards.

THis year I have 1 drive of 321 yards (according to GPS unit) but the teeing area was a good 80 yards above landing area. Other than that I only have 1 301 yard drive (again according to GPS unit) on a pretty flat hole. Other than that a handful in the 280-290 range but most in the 245 to 270 range.

Originally Posted by Grumpter

THis year I have 1 drive of 321 yards (according to GPS unit) but the teeing area was a good 80 yards above landing area. Other than that I only have 1 301 yard drive (again according to GPS unit) on a pretty flat hole. Other than that a handful in the 280-290 range but most in the 245 to 270 range.

We have a hole like that on a local course. Crazy elevated, and the drives seem to go for ever.  Really fun hole to play though.

The biggest thrill I get from hitting a long drive (for me anything over 240), is the fact that I will have a short club into the green.  My GIR percentage increases exponentially the closer I get to the hole.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

thats in a fullswing golf sim shit I hit it 330 in that thing.  Whats your ballspeed with regular driver.  I don't swing near that hard either .  Mine in there was 175 on a trackman I'm around 168

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Originally Posted by poser

thats in a fullswing golf sim shit I hit it 330 in that thing.  Whats your ballspeed with regular driver.  I don't swing near that hard either .  Mine in there was 175 on a trackman I'm around 168

I've never been to a trackman.  The highest balls speed ive reached with my regular driver in the sim was 201.  The highest with My LD club was 209.

The carry distance for both of those ball speeds seemed a little low actually. Not sure if the formula for the higher ball speed is a little off or what, but i expected more than 325-330 carry off of a 201 ball speed witha 11-12* launch angle.

I also snapped my driver in two that day i was laying it all out with my regular driver. They are not made to take it like my LD driver is.

On a side note.  175 ball speed is pretty quick.  I actually think if you used a LD swing you could reach 190.  Its all about hand speed with the larger shaft length.

Sounds like you have a powerful swing.  I'd like to check a video of your swing out if you can pop one on here.  Quality does not matter.

Originally Posted by Darksun22

Thanks for supporting the thread. I'm glad you get the same thrill out of hitting a nice long ball.

Sounds like you are making a good bit of power.  I learned a lot from reading some stuff Jamie S. (The long drive champ) has written. You may want to read some of his articles if your interested in getting a few more yards.

thanks i'll check it out

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

No stories of me ever hitting it long but my bro played with a friend who hit it far,though he rarely played,i dont even think he liked golf,anyway on a par 4 which was 260 - 270 yds long he hit his ball and it went over the green without landing and hit the woods 20 yds behind the green and as i know that hole it must have been a huge hit

• 4 months later...
I've jumped on a track man a couple of times. (how awesome are those things man!!!!) I know I hit 331m and then 328m the next ball. Also recently competed in New Zealand champs. Was hitting into really heavy winds and was still hitting 250-270. Will upload vid when I work out how.

Dear god, not another one of these long drive threads, when will it ever end. You know one thing, men dominate the posting on this forum :p

So in a counter the long ball, lets go with this, want to really improve your game

1) hit driver if its the only club that can get you an iron shot into the green

2) hit driver on par 5's only if your sure it will allow you to reach the green in 2

From this, hit everything else but driver. This will mean to score well you must be able to place the ball in the fairway with good angles to the green. You'll be forced to maneuver your way around a golf course. You will put more thinking into your tee shots. Then when you get your driver back, play like you did with out it, thinking.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This is a few months old. Was spinoff of the other 300y drive thread necessitated by the OP of this thread taking over the other thread. Never really garnered any interest with his long sim drives.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by saevel25

Dear god, not another one of these long drive threads, when will it ever end. You know one thing, men dominate the posting on this forum :p

So in a counter the long ball, lets go with this, want to really improve your game

2) hit driver on par 5's only if your sure it will allow you to reach the green in 2

From this, hit everything else but driver. This will mean to score well you must be able to place the ball in the fairway with good angles to the green. You'll be forced to maneuver your way around a golf course. You will put more thinking into your tee shots. Then when you get your driver back, play like you did with out it, thinking.

I recently started playing like this ... not sure why it took me so long.  More often than not, I'm not going for a par 5 in two.  If they are short enough that I can reach them (525 absolute max for me to even have a realistic shot) it's likely the greens are well protected.  At this point in my game, it's foolish to try and hit a 220 hybrid, or a 240 3 wood, to a green protected by water.  So what's the need to risk driver off the tee to get that close, when a 3 wood or hybrid will still leave me with 250 or 270?  I can re-hit that 3W or hybrid to put myself within pitching distance of the green if its safe, or lay up with a 7 iron to leave a full sand or gap wedge.

I believe I'm going to make more pars (and birdies) that way than hitting driver, when I increase the possibility of putting myself in the trees off the tee.

Originally Posted by saevel25

I've been having problems hitting my driver since I started working on some swing changes... But earlier this Summer, my driver was the easiest club in the bag to hit.  I could hit my driver more consistently than my 3W off the tee.  But with my recent swing changes, I may have to try this advice.  I'm thinking any par 4 under 400, I should just play a 3W until I get comfortable again.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I've been having problems hitting my driver since I started working on some swing changes... But earlier this Summer, my driver was the easiest club in the bag to hit.  I could hit my driver more consistently than my 3W off the tee.  But with my recent swing changes, I may have to try this advice.  I'm thinking any par 4 under 400, I should just play a 3W until I get comfortable again.

What are you talking about??  By the back nine Sunday it sure seemed like you had figured it out.  I don't know your stats, but I remember a lot of good drives those last few holes.  (Not so much the first hole, though)

Note: This thread is 4118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!