IGNORED

How Many Is Too Many?? Golf Balls That Is!

sportsnut
Note:Β This thread is 4276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On was watching Golf Channel several years ago and they had technical show called "Ask Frank" or something to that effect.

He estimated that you would lose 2 yards a year off your driver.Β  I wish someone would actually do a study on it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that might explain why I'm not driving the ball 300 yards, my balls are too old

Originally Posted by RGoosen

On was watching Golf Channel several years ago and they had technical show called "Ask Frank" or something to that effect.

He estimated that you would lose 2 yards a year off your driver.Β  I wish someone would actually do a study on it.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

That's a pretty general statement, I wouldn't expect golf balls to last forever but you're statement makes it seem like they have a relatively short shelf life.Β  What's the half life of a golf ball core?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pakoh

The cores dont last forever... they degrade over time.

About 1000 rounds of golf and 2 passes with a lawn mower.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

looks like I'm good for quite a while then as far as golf balls goes. The last sport I came out of was Highpower Sservice Rifle competition that my daughter and I shot together for about 5 - 7 years. We needed between 1500 and 2000 rounds a year to keep us in the matches so I may have carried over an obcession to golf that was not necessary. Oh well live and learn.

hmm... I have 7 dozen PentaTP5, and 2 dozen of the the original PentaTP. 3 dozen 20XI'x. 4 Dozen ProV1's. 2 dozen Z-Stars, a dozen Gamer V2's, and a dozen B330RX's. Also, I have, at last count, ~350 'practice' balls, which are a mix of mid level and premium balls. Many of the balls I got as gifts from my parents, sister, brother, and wife for x-mas/birthdays. Others are balls I got on sales I couldn't refuse.

The Penta is my game ball, though i'll sometimes try a sleeve of something else. I like the 20XI, Z-Stars, and ProV1. Im yet to try the Gamers, and I am not a fan of B330's. The next ball I will be trying is the Callaway HEX Chrome/Black.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I usuallyΒ keep 2 doz and replenish as needed. I don't lose a bunch of balls but I do toss balls out as the surface starts to degrade, wedges, trees, paths, hard ground etc. That way I can use my bonus points from Dick's and GG as often as possible.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by ApocG10

hmm... I have 7 dozen PentaTP5, and 2 dozen of the the original PentaTP. 3 dozen 20XI'x. 4 Dozen ProV1's. 2 dozen Z-Stars, a dozen Gamer V2's, and a dozen B330RX's. Also, I have, at last count, ~350 'practice' balls, which are a mix of mid level and premium balls. Many of the balls I got as gifts from my parents, sister, brother, and wife for x-mas/birthdays. Others are balls I got on sales I couldn't refuse.

The Penta is my game ball, though i'll sometimes try a sleeve of something else. I like the 20XI, Z-Stars, and ProV1. Im yet to try the Gamers, and I am not a fan of B330's. The next ball I will be trying is the Callaway HEX Chrome/Black.

You certainly have me beat in terms of sheer volume.Β  It sounds like we could use you for golf ball reviews with such a variety and 3 handicap.

How does the Z-star hold up against the other premium balls, and have you tried the Penta TP3 ball?

I have a dozen in my bag and I have some random dozens waiting for me.Β  I received a dozen as a gift (Titleist DT Solo) and I won a dozen Callaway Hex Black Tours from a web site.Β  I seem to like Callaway balls the most so far and have a few different boxes of them.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -Β  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges -Β X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird
Β 

Β 

You certainly have me beat in terms of sheer volume.Β  It sounds like we could use you for golf ball reviews with such a variety and 3 handicap.

How does the Z-star hold up against the other premium balls, and have you tried the Penta TP3 ball?

I have not played the TP3, but I do have a sleeve here that a rep gave me. Im sure i'll try them soon.

To be honest, all the premium balls are so good, feel so good, that the differences are minor and you play what feels good to you.

The Z-star is a great ball, and its durability is definitely better than the PentaTP, PentaTP5, or the 20XI. The ProV1 is certainely the most resilient ball I have played, but I just dont like them off the driver/woods/long irons. I get a ball flight I dont like, its hard to explain, and maybe its even all in my head. I do have reviews to write on more balls, as well as my Edel wedges. But im yet to find a ball I prefer of the 5 layer penta's. Though they are pretty beat up by a dozen holes or so, where a Z-Star has lasted me up to almost 2 rounds before I replaced it. And get two rounds out of a ProV1 as well.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

I played a few different balls yesterday. Everything was a second tier ball at best (including a Dixon (granite), a yellow Wilson Staff 50, a Wilson SpongeBob Squarpants, a pink Wilson Hope, a coupleΒ Callaways, a couple lower model Titleists (a SoLo and an NXT) and when struck well they all go where they're aimed. The only ones I probably wouldn't want to use for an entire round were the Dixon, and the two novelty Wilsons. The others were okay. A little hard and prone to going too high, but you just need to play for the safe shot. Basically if the ball is in good shape I'll consider hanging onto it for later. Whenever a high handicapper needs a ball and I pull one of those found ones out and they get the "stink face" look, I laugh. Go ahead and be picky, dude, whatever floats your boat.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

On the subject - I have 10 - 12 dozen of the Nike Ond Tour D...for the same reason.Β  They quit making them.

Somewhat on topic - I also stocked up on Bridgestone 330's that were on sale for 20$ a dozen.Β  14 boxes to be exact.Β  I "thought" they would be pretty much the same ball as I had been playing (Nike Tour D's), but I was gravely misstaken.Β  I lost 10 yards off my driver/3 wood and 5 yards off my irons.Β  I am going to beg them to take them back.Β  They were on clearance and I bought the rest of their inventory.

This sucks!Β  I wish Manufacturers would stick with the same ball each year and makeΒ minor adjustments if needed.Β  If you look at Nike's website and click on individual players it shows that over 50% play with the Tour D's not the 2000 x's s's or whatever the crap they are called.

Um, who buys 14 dozen balls that are untested with play?

I have only about 2 dozen new balls maybe almost 3. I have 100's of (found) used and have about 2-3 high end golf balls in my bag that I use for play. I found a brand new prov1x right at the 1st hole and played it until the 11th when it shot through the fairway out of bounce. Found another near brand new prov1x at the 18th rough and I was ready for my next round.

My dad however had 37 dozen new golf balls when he past away last year.... And maybe two Brooklyn bridges...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I have only about 2 dozen new balls maybe almost 3. I have 100's of (found) used and have about 2-3 high end golf balls in my bag that I use for play. I found a brand new prov1x right at the 1st hole and played it until the 11th when it shot through the fairway out of bounce. Found another near brand new prov1x at the 18th rough and I was ready for my next round.

My dad however had 37 dozen new golf balls when he past away last year.... And maybe two Brooklyn bridges...

I agree 14 dozen is a bit much for untested balls, but sometimes the deals are just great. I got 2011 PentaTP's for like 16$/dzn, so I picked up 5. Played it and loved it. I got three dozen 20XI's in a buy 2, get one free deal as a gift, and ended up with like 9 or 10 dozen 2010 ProV1's (I put 6 dozen in my practice crate) for 12$/dzn, and kept 3 dozen for play. Got the Z-Stars as a gift, which I had never played. Same with the GamerV2;s. And I stocked up on PentaTP5's when a local Golf Shop closed after Golftown moved in. Bought their whole stock of 8 Dozen in May when I they started the closing sale, and I just started my second box. Sometimes the deals are just too good to pass up.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Originally Posted by ApocG10

I agree 14 dozen is a bit much for untested balls, but sometimes the deals are just great. I got 2011 PentaTP's for like 16$/dzn, so I picked up 5. Played it and loved it. I got three dozen 20XI's in a buy 2, get one free deal as a gift, and ended up with like 9 or 10 dozen 2010 ProV1's (I put 6 dozen in my practice crate) for 12$/dzn, and kept 3 dozen for play. Got the Z-Stars as a gift, which I had never played. Same with the GamerV2;s. And I stocked up on PentaTP5's when a local Golf Shop closed after Golftown moved in. Bought their whole stock of 8 Dozen in May when I they started the closing sale, and I just started my second box. Sometimes the deals are just too good to pass up.

Ha so you are a deals guy? You can not spot the insanity :P Well what ever makes you happy I guess right?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

About 3 dozen. Mainly Z-Stars, and a dozen of cheaper balls. I have rounds that I don't loose a single ball, and rounds that i seem to loose 4-5 balls. Usually switch to a cheaper ball if I'm starting to hit hazards.

909D2 9.5 Stiff
Z-TX 3-H Stiff
Z-TX 4-PW Reg.
CG15 DSG 52 & 56
CG12 60 degree
Trinidad (CS)
Β 

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

[Β  I know it sounds crazy at first, but this is how it went down.Β  I find a premium ball that I really like and go overboard stock piling them when the sell for a reasonable price (20-30 dollars).Β  I have only bought Nike One Black and Tour D balls since I started playing golf in 2004.Β  Unfortunately I am on my last 10-12 dozen golf balls and Nike no longer makes a premium urethane golf ball that is anyway close to playable as their previous tour balls.

So, I returned the six dozen 20XI-X balls back to local golf shop a playing to rounds of golf with balls that play like rocks.Β  The golf shop guy tells me that Bridgestone made the Nike Blacks and Tour D ball and that the B330 ball should play similar to Tour D's.Β  Last years model was on sell for 20$ a dozen so I jumped at the chance to get them.Β  I initially bought 6 dozen and played one round with them.Β  I thought they played similar to my current ball.Β  So, I went back to the golf store and they had sold almost their entire inventory within a 10 time frame.Β  I panicked and bought the remaining 8 dozen on the shelf for 20$ a dozen.Β  Then I played two rounds this last weekend and when I measured my yardages with me handheld GPS I discovered I lost an average of 10 yards off my driver and 5 yards off my iron shots.Β  I was really frustrated with the whole process.Β  Hence I returned all 14 dozen back last night and I thanked the employees at the golf shop for being understanding.Β  ]

I know I'm not a scratch player yet, but playing the same ball is very important to me.Β  I believe it makes a big difference in my score.Β  I can't be playing balls that may travel 5-10 yards more or less than what I am used to b/c I am playing whichever ball I might randomly pull out of my bag.Β  I also know how my current urethane ball (Tour D) will react on the green with chips/pitches/iron shots.

No way will I ever pay more than 30 dollars for a box of golf balls.Β  This means I will now have to go through the painful process of finding a tour level golf ball I can stick with that I can buy on clearance or that has one of those buy 2 get one free deals.

* ... as a side note...I picked up 2 sleeves each of TM Penta 3, Srixon Z star, and Callaway Hex Chrome.Β  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I actually need to order more right now I think I am down to less than a dozen in my bag. Β I usually carry at least a dozen with me on the course, if I decide I am going to use my driver I lose 3-4 balls a round usually, if I go with the 3 wood instead then usually 1-2.

I have 3 dozen Hex Chromes, 12 dozen HX Diablo Tour's, one dozen HX Diablos, one dozen Gamer V2's plus probably 75 balls of various brands thatΒ I've found.

Of those 12 dozen Diablo Tours, 7 dozen were purchased through lostgolfballs.com.Β Β  When they have them, they sell the 5A for $12.99/doz.Β Β  So I stocked up.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I keep 2-3 dozen of whatever I'm playing on hand, but I have about 1600 old beat up range balls that I hit into the field behind my house. I have 250 yards from my house to the woods behind, so I pretty much have my own driving range. Finding them out there is tough, I usually only find about 30% of what I hit out there, so it's a good thing I got them cheap.

Note:Β This thread is 4276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!