IGNORED

5SK Video Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wow!!! what an eye opener that video was...During the last part, where the guy with the driver was to steep, and how he had to sort of fight to get to the ball, and a push was the result..Now I can see why I was swinging the same way. Lately my swing path has been to steep, don't know why , but I'm trying to fix that, and this video, Finally helped me to see what I was doing wrong, because when I hit driver, I always seemed like I was having to fight to get the club face to hit the ball.

Thanks a Bunch for posting this Erik...I'll come back and review it from time to time..

Agreed.  What an eye-opener.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went to the range tonight, with this video in mind. The last 2 times out, my swing went south, or somewhere, cuz I was spraying shots, hit em fat, thin, you name it. I kind thought my plane  was steep, so I kept adjusting, but Nothing I did worked. Back the video.

I would just like to say Thank you Erik and Dave, you guys saved my swing life..lol They have mirrors there, and I noticed that where I "Thought" I was and where the club head wound up, were 2 completely different things. Anyway, good news is, I hit some very good shots, well, for being on a range. Strikes were crisp, and the distance was a wee bit better than my best in the past, so THANK YOU guys again. Just another reason why TST Rocks... :dance::beer:

• 1 month later...

Regarding key #2 toes up drill. Can anyone explain why it works? (and it does work) im just interested in the "science" behind the drill.

It may have explained it in the video but ive had to watch it with subtitles. This is worth doing just for what it thinks Dave is saying....thank god he isnt a Yorkshireman!! ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Regarding key #2 toes up drill. Can anyone explain why it works? (and it does work) im just interested in the "science" behind the drill.

It may have explained it in the video but ive had to watch it with subtitles. This is worth doing just for what it thinks Dave is saying....thank god he isnt a Yorkshireman!!

Well, for me, when I was hitting really poor pull hooks, it was due to my right knee kicking out towards the ball in the downswing.  The knee goes towards the ball instead of towards the target, and all of a sudden I'm having to come around it, so my swing is too much to the left.

Lifting up the toes makes it very difficult for the knee to go that direction, so it kind of forces you to bank your foot instead of getting on your toes, and that in turn helps you get it sliding towards the target.

That's how it worked for me at least, not sure if your issue is similar or not. :)

Well, for me, when I was hitting really poor pull hooks, it was due to my right knee kicking out towards the ball in the downswing.  The knee goes towards the ball instead of towards the target, and all of a sudden I'm having to come around it, so my swing is too much to the left.

Lifting up the toes makes it very difficult for the knee to go that direction, so it kind of forces you to bank your foot instead of getting on your toes, and that in turn helps you get it sliding towards the target.

That's how it worked for me at least, not sure if your issue is similar or not. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I never noticed until i had a go. My problem is getting the weight forward and with a flat right foot the leg/knee seems to naturally want to go forward. Cant wait to try it at the range, however all the snow from the USA is now hiiting us.......thanks for that! :-P

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Thanks for the explanation. I never noticed until i had a go. My problem is getting the weight forward and with a flat right foot the leg/knee seems to naturally want to go forward. Cant wait to try it at the range, however all the snow from the USA is now hiiting us.......thanks for that! :-P

Don't look at me! It's in the 70s here

Don't look at me! It's in the 70s here

Yep, which then helps your arms/hands get down to the ball more efficiently. If I start to kick the right knee excessively towards the balls and the rear heel comes off the ground, it can complicate how I deliver the club to the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I think I already have seen all those vids. :)

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

• 3 weeks later...

A FEW QUESTIONS TO MVMAC AND IACAS:

I started working on your five keys yesterday in order to finally come up with a repeatable swing - and I now have a few questions. Forgive me if you've explained these in detail, which I'm sure you have, but I'd like to be sure.

1) How much of your weight is on the right (back) foot at the top of the backswing? And is the weight towards the toe or the heel?

2) Is the right elbow tucked in throughout the backswing or does it matter? Harvey Penick, if I recall, says it only matters that you bring it close in the start of the downswing. I, now that I'm trying the keys in front of the mirror, find that keeping it close to my side makes my turn better - but am a losing width?

3) Is the right leg straightening in the backswing and is the right hip higher than the left at the end of the backswing? I've always been warned against both of those.

Lot of questions, sorry. I'd greatly appreciate it if you have time to answer. Thanks!

A FEW QUESTIONS TO MVMAC AND IACAS:

I started working on your five keys yesterday in order to finally come up with a repeatable swing - and I now have a few questions. Forgive me if you've explained these in detail, which I'm sure you have, but I'd like to be sure.

Just to be clear, 5SK is a system of prioritization. It's not a pattern, a swing, or even a "way" to swing. 5SK identifies the five things that virtually every great player has in common and helps golfers identify/focus on their priority piece. Some golfers may need to work on Key #1 while others may need to prioritize Key #4.

1) How much of your weight is on the right (back) foot at the top of the backswing? And is the weight towards the toe or the heel?

2) Is the right elbow tucked in throughout the backswing or does it matter? Harvey Penick, if I recall, says it only matters that you bring it close in the start of the downswing. I, now that I'm trying the keys in front of the mirror, find that keeping it close to my side makes my turn better - but am a losing width?

In terms of the trail arm/elbow, my preference is for the tricep to stay in front of the shirt seam and not flex the arm past 90 degrees. Anything else is just style points. The elbow definitely should not stay tucked against the side, there should be some space between the trail elbow and the rib cage at A4.

3) Is the right leg straightening in the backswing and is the right hip higher than the left at the end of the backswing? I've always been warned against both of those.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

@Osmond , as you may have deduced, we've covered all of this before. Participate a bit more, join in some existing discussions, and poke around a bit more. Lots of stuff here, free, for you to look at.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

One minute to a better Key #2:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thank goodness I can close my office door!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Cool, I have a chair on wheels...Good stuff!!!

I tried this last night. Great drill, but my dogs sat there and looked at me like I was crazy. =)

- Shane

So i spend all this time trying to convince my wife that golf is an energetic sport and that i often need to put my feet up after an afternoon at the range or on the course so im too tired to clean the bathroom and then this drill apears. Thanks Erik!

As she now thinks golf can be practiced sat down can you come up with some more excuses for dodging housework?

I don't have my own office and will be debating trying to do this without my co-workers seeing me, haha

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 3035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!