IGNORED

Poorly run golf courses...I witnessed one last Friday.

formula428
Note: This thread is 4218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Slightly off-topic yet still has to do with courses/time.  I haven't been to a course that uses both 1 and 10 to tee off but wouldn't there be a logjam at 1 when groups from the back nine are ready to play the front and also when those who teed off on 1 are headed to the back nine?  Thanks

Originally Posted by Spyder

You have a point in that most Starters/Rangers act like they personally own the course or wrote the handbook in regards to the flow of the course and pace of play.

I personally never have experiences like this while out on the course though and I guess I may be in the lucky minority. However, I do know that I start off cracking jokes and being overly polite and friendly to people - regardless of the look on their face, or their attitude when I approach them. The nastier they seem to be, the nicer I am. Though, I often will be even more friendly in a sarcastic way.. but the point is that I roll with the punches (if there are any) and make crappy situations better by doing so. I'm just a strong believer that you put yourself in certain situations and it is up to you to get out of it.

If I were him, I would have never even gone out further past he point of being asked if I could be jumped by someone who skipped a hole. I would most definitely tell them "No, I'm sorry." and explain that I play at a fast enough pace to not be a burden to anyone behind me. It takes a lot to get me fired up because I don't let things that I can't control piss me off and I don't understand how/why other people function in their daily life doing the opposite. Not that the OP is like this (I don't know them obviously), but I would make a call to the club house and see if I can get a fresh 6 pack on ice delivered to me  and make the best out of it. When you're waiting 10-20 minutes per tee, your game is probably going to be effected adversely anyway. Cracking a few cold ones at that point would be how I choose to kill the time while minding my business.

Also, $20 is a fairly cheap rate. I hate to say it.... but how much are you expecting when you play 18 holes @ $20.00 and some change?

+1

Originally Posted by kymonopoly

Slightly off-topic yet still has to do with courses/time.  I haven't been to a course that uses both 1 and 10 to tee off but wouldn't there be a logjam at 1 when groups from the back nine are ready to play the front and also when those who teed off on 1 are headed to the back nine?  Thanks

Usually, any course who tees off both 9's does it early in the morning and then has a break in tee times to get things back to normal and allow for the groups coming off the back to make their way to the front without it being backed up.

The ones who'll be coming off the front 9 won't have any problems because it'll be just like the normal course of play.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by kymonopoly

As mentioned usually happens early in the morning and in my experience is offered to people coming in that just want to play 9. They get them out before anyone is making the turn. They also put us out on the back when the ladies league is out, it's a 9 hole league. On those days playing 18 means playing the back twice. I'll ask to tee off 10 once in a while just because I usually play the front. I only have time for 9 during the week. They will let me if they can fit it in but ask that I let anyone making the turn play through that may catch me.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've learned many golf lessons the hard way........

One lesson:

When playing an away course (especially if not playing at the crack of dawn).........is to ask if there will be any events or groups on the course when making the tee time .  If you ask, they will tell you........

This same lesson should apply to spring and fall aeration!!! .....if you don't ask, they will not tell you.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

This same lesson should apply to spring and fall aeration!!! .....if you don't ask, they will not tell you.

Good courses will volunteer that. Unfortunately, those courses are too few and far between! When I find one though, they get a lot of my business.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't know that I ever called a course to book a tee time........and they offered up the fact that they just aerated days before.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

All the courses I play post info about aeration, repairs, tournament and league play, whatever on their website. Recently played a course I've not been to and they had an alert on their site that a few greens had been damaged due to vandalism. Because of that they were offering discounted rates. Some of the places that require an on-line profile to book a tee time send email alerts about course issues. Comes with the coupons and other spam.

Dave :-)

I don't know that I ever called a course to book a tee time........and they offered up the fact that they just aerated days before.

May be a regional thing, but it's actually common enough that I'm not surprised when it happens down here. I agree though, always best to ask in spring/fall. Tip off is often dramatically reduced rates......

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by Dave2512

All the courses I play post info about aeration, repairs, tournament and league play, whatever on their website. Recently played a course I've not been to and they had an alert on their site that a few greens had been damaged due to vandalism. Because of that they were offering discounted rates. Some of the places that require an on-line profile to book a tee time send email alerts about course issues. Comes with the coupons and other spam.

i just got a facebook update that a local course is aerating and they'll be making the twilight rate the standard rate for the next few weeks to make up for it.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by David in FL

So, if I understand this right, it boils down to you being ticked off that the course allowed a large group of golfers out ahead of you? And that they furthermore became upset when you "made an executive decision" and decided to jump in front of other players out on the course. Finally, they only credited you with the actual amount you paid for the round in the first place.

Wow. How dare they?!

Originally Posted by ApocG10

This is what I get out of it. He was too impatient to wait to play, and is upset that the world does not cater to him. You jumped to a hole you should not have been playing. Your position on the course is directly behind the people in front f you. I dont see whyt they nmeed to inform yu a team is practicing. You did not even wait to see if they were keeping pace, you just made an 'executive' decision and jumped to a hole you shuld not have been on, and got angry because it was pointed out to yu. To me, I dont see how the course was poorly run, or why you think you deserved more than your full refund.

You both are wrong.

I wanted a later tee time and they forced me to go 12:46.  OK, fine, that's the way it is and I accept.  I'm upset because I get there and WAS NOT TOLD about the large groups (walkers!) and the mess on the Front 9 when I paid.  For the record, I've been told almost every time at other courses when something like this goes on.  I decide to stay and accept it, or leave, or ask to play the other side of the course.

So, I play the first hole.  I move onto the second hole, and THEN I find out about the giant mess from the other golfers (NOT the staff!).  I make the mistake of playing the Back 9.  I'm not sure if I was actually "kicked off" but my friend just wanted to end the hassle and get our money back.  So, we go back to the clubhouse and the pro KNOWS it's a big mess out there.  We we're the only ones who got refunded.  Yet he STILL collects new players' money and sends them off to join the mess, which they'll later figure out in about 20 minutes.  The starter also KNOWS it's a mess, but he's wandering around the course trying to sort it out, so no one was even at the Back 9 when we tee'd off.  We got reported by the 4-some behind us, who apparently had exclusive rights and "could not be held up at all" in the eyes of the pro/course.  Total chaos, and insulting too!

I'm sorry, but I just think it's a cheap way to collect peoples money, especially when they KNOW it's a disaster all-around.  It pisses me off even more because I had the day off and could have went anywhere, but I really like(d) this course.  Key word:  Liked.

Driver -- TM Burner 2.0 9.5º

FWs -- TM Burner 2.0 15º / 18º

Hybrids -- TM Raylor 19º and 22º

Irons -- TM Burner Plus (4i - PW, AW, SW), TM Burner 1.0 LW

Putter -- Scotty Cameron Mallet Phantom 2

Bag -- TM Stratus 3.0

Ball -- Top Flight Gamer V2, Titleist DT Solo

You both are wrong. I wanted a later tee time and they forced me to go 12:46.  OK, fine, that's the way it is and I accept.  I'm upset because I get there and WAS NOT TOLD about the large groups (walkers!) and the mess on the Front 9 when I paid.  For the record, I've been told almost every time at other courses when something like this goes on.  I decide to stay and accept it, or leave, or ask to play the other side of the course. So, I play the first hole.  I move onto the second hole, and THEN I find out about the giant mess from the other golfers (NOT the staff!).  I make the mistake of playing the Back 9.  I'm not sure if I was actually "kicked off" but my friend just wanted to end the hassle and get our money back.  So, we go back to the clubhouse and the pro KNOWS it's a big mess out there.  We we're the only ones who got refunded.  Yet he STILL collects new players' money and sends them off to join the mess, which they'll later figure out in about 20 minutes.  The starter also KNOWS it's a mess, but he's wandering around the course trying to sort it out, so no one was even at the Back 9 when we tee'd off.  We got reported by the 4-some behind us, who apparently had exclusive rights and "could not be held up at all" in the eyes of the pro/course.  Total chaos, and insulting too! I'm sorry, but I just think it's a cheap way to collect peoples money, especially when they KNOW it's a disaster all-around.  It pisses me off even more because I had the day off and could have went anywhere, but I really like(d) this course.  Key word:  Liked.

Yep. Exactly how I understood it the first time.

In David's bag....

The course is trying to make money. They make money with green fees.

You paid $20.

This is nuts.

You didn't even run into the group out front, you assumed you would be held up by the "mess". And by mess, I mean group of other golfers on the public golf course.

You got your money back, STFU. You might want to pick up a different hobby.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by David in FL

So, if I understand this right, it boils down to you being ticked off that the course allowed a large group of golfers out ahead of you? And that they furthermore became upset when you "made an executive decision" and decided to jump in front of other players out on the course. Finally, they only credited you with the actual amount you paid for the round in the first place.

Wow. How dare they?!

I agree. They offered a full price credit for the cost of the round, that's all they had to do. The muni course I play all the time is also the home course for area high schools and sometimes gets backed up with kids. When one side of the course is slammed, the staff is really good about letting us start off/move to the back 9 if we ask. Just deciding to jump ahead is most likely what pissed them off.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by formula428

I move onto the second hole, and THEN I find out about the giant mess from the other golfers (NOT the staff!).  I make the mistake of playing the Back 9.  I'm not sure if I was actually "kicked off" but my friend just wanted to end the hassle and get our money back.  So, we go back to the clubhouse and the pro KNOWS it's a big mess out there.  We we're the only ones who got refunded.  Yet he STILL collects new players' money and sends them off to join the mess, which they'll later figure out in about 20 minutes.  The starter also KNOWS it's a mess, but he's wandering around the course trying to sort it out, so no one was even at the Back 9 when we tee'd off.  We got reported by the 4-some behind us, who apparently had exclusive rights and "could not be held up at all" in the eyes of the pro/course.  Total chaos, and insulting too!

I'm sorry, but I just think it's a cheap way to collect peoples money, especially when they KNOW it's a disaster all-around.  It pisses me off even more because I had the day off and could have went anywhere, but I really like(d) this course.  Key word:  Liked.

I don't understand how you can say it was a "mess" you didn't even see the high school golfers.  For all you know they might have been playing at a reasonable pace.  They might have only been planning on playing the front 9 in that case you might have been slowed up a little when you caught them on hole 5 or 6 but by 9 you would have had the back 9 wide open to you.

How dare that 4 some think they had the exclusive right to not have some random 2 some jump in front of them because they wanted to.  You sound like the type of guy that wouldn't mind at all if a group jumped in front of you and inconvenienced you because they wanted to.  The fact that they saw you means that the back 9 was not wide open.  Before you say "it was wide open in front of us they wouldn't have seen us after the 10th hole."  They must have seen the group in front of them sometime during the round otherwise they wouldn't know that you were not the group that was supposed to be in front of them.

It amazes me how many times a twosome will ask to play through when the course is full and there is nowhere to go.  If a foursome clears the green and gets to the next tee box and the 2 some can hit their approach shots chip and putt out and get to the tee before the 4 some can hit drives. Chances are the 4 some had to wait for the group in front of them, or they should be drug out in the street and shot for incompetence.  Don't ask to play through unless you can see that their is no one in front of them.  I know when I play with 3 friends when the the course is backed up we might linger on the tee together, rather than hit our tee shots the instant the group in front is out of range and than stand over our second shots with our hands on our hips waiting for the green to clear.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with most of the folks here:  you have no position to complain.

You called for a same-day tee time, on a Friday afternoon, and were given limited options.  Unbelievable.

Other people were on the course ahead of you.  Unbelievable.

You personally decided to jump to the back nine, and the course staff told you that wasn't allowed.  Unbelievable.

They were only willing to refund you the amount of money you actually paid.  Unbelievable.

And, a good course which offers a $20 (with cart) rate at noon on a Friday in the middle of summer was crowded.  Totally unbelievable.

If you want to have the run of the course, I suggest you either buy your own, or join a limited membership private club.  Otherwise, you'll just have to accept that other people might be on the course, and the course staff might want to control how and when you play in order to accommodate EVERYONE who comes out to play.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 4218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!