IGNORED

What do you hate most about Scrambles?

Spyder
Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What do you hate most about Scrambles/Outings?

• Being paired with strangers
    • Knowing there are probably cheaters in other groups
    • Finding out your "A" Player is a "B" player at best
    • Group members who don't stop talking and offering advice
    • Group members who are not playing as a team
    • Closest to the Pin
    • Longest Drive
    • Skin Payout/Setup/Hole Selection
    • Disorganized Scramble (improper tee-offs, slow play, payouts)
    • Excessive drinking
    • Terrible food
    • Cost to enter
    • Randomly selected teams

Just because there are prizes at a charity event doesn't mean the charity paid for it. I've never seen one where there wasn't at least one corp sponsor. The purpose being to make it interesting enough to get people to sign up. That's part of the sponsors donation to the charity.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Just because there are prizes at a charity event doesn't mean the charity paid for it. I've never seen one where there wasn't at least one corp sponsor. The purpose being to make it interesting enough to get people to sign up. That's part of the sponsors donation to the charity.

That's correct, but I don't think that is what he was saying.  I know that these tournaments bring in some money for the charity, and most of the prizes are donated, but they could always use more money, and if its a charity you care about, why not donate back?  That's all.

Certainly you aren't taking money from them by accepting the prizes, but you'd definitely be giving more than most if you donated it back.

Correct. All non-cash prizes/raffle items etc... were donated. I guarantee it. What I have done on occasion, if I won something that I couldn't use, was to hold a quick, impromptu auction for the item with the proceeds then being donated back to the charity.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Simply that it's not golf.

If I'm going to spend 4+ hours on a golf course, I want to play golf.

I would have picked this if it was an answer.  I only do these when they are work related.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

That's correct, but I don't think that is what he was saying.  I know that these tournaments bring in some money for the charity, and most of the prizes are donated, but they could always use more money, and if its a charity you care about, why not donate back?  That's all.

Certainly you aren't taking money from them by accepting the prizes, but you'd definitely be giving more than most if you donated it back.

I get it  and I've volunteered for these things more than once and I understand why someone would want to give as much as they can. But it's impossible to have 100% righteous intentions with these events. Everything from the drink tab to food is comped by someone. At some point just being there translates to consuming something donated. They want people to come out and have a good time. If I felt bad about accepting a prize I'd find another way to donate post tournament.

Dave :-)

I picked cheaters but now that I think more about it I hate that I can't find 1 or 2 plus players to fill my group. Most of my friends are not great golfers so playing in a $$$ scramble with them is pointless. I think I'd play more scrambles if I had one of those teams that could post a 14-18 under :-D

Originally Posted by Gf22a

I picked cheaters but now that I think more about it I hate that I can't find 1 or 2 plus players to fill my group. Most of my friends are not great golfers so playing in a $$$ scramble with them is pointless.

Playing a scramble for money is pointless regardless, so you might as well enjoy some time with your friends.

Bill

There are typically only 2 things I hate about scrambles (since I assume there will be cheating):

1) Members of the group that don't play as a team;

2) That I can't really gauge how I played afterwards since I don't have a real score.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by David in FL

Simply that it's not golf.

If I'm going to spend 4+ hours on a golf course, I want to play golf.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

I couldn't even vote because out of all the many choices........the obvious answer wasn't even an option!

With that said, I've never played in a scramble "On my Dime ...or Time" .  Company sponsored events on company time is the only way I can tolerate scrambles.  I usually play in 5-6 per year for the company.  I'm quite popular when the scramble season comes around....LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I have never played in a scramble. Yes hard to believe but I have never done it and you would think I wouldn't have a vote, but I do. They always seem to have them on a weekday here so it was the cost. $75-$150 entrance fee and a potential loss in wages for me of $400+ for not being at work because I am ****ing off with drunks, cheaters and hacks. I am sorry but if I am not at work I am losing jack.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Playing a scramble for money is pointless regardless, so you might as well enjoy some time with your friends.

There are scrambles that the sole purpose is to win $... Either prize money (3500-4000 per team) or skin $. And of course there are many more times where you play 100% for fun. I like playing both but playing for money is more fun when you actually have a chance to win :-P

Scrambles are NOT golf......

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

To be honest I like scrambles but it obvious that you had a bad experience with that one and I have aswell.  At my home course we play a scramble every Sunday at 6 but its fun because the same 15-16 guys show up every week and we are all pretty good friends with each other so it doesn't matter who I get paired with.  I normaly don't care in any event if I get paired with someone else I know it bothers some people but not me so much.  I voted for the cheating aspect only because I KNOW for a fact is some of the company scrambles I've played in I watched a team on the hole beside me pick up a putt that was at least 6 feet away and called it good.  Just tit for tat I guess man you get good scrambles you get bad ones.

Originally Posted by Gf22a

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

There are scrambles that the sole purpose is to win $... Either prize money (3500-4000 per team) or skin $. And of course there are many more times where you play 100% for fun. I like playing both but playing for money is more fun when you actually have a chance to win

My point is, you can't go into a scramble thinking that having good golfers increases your chances of winning. If you win, it's either random chance or it's because you cheated better than anyone else. So all I was saying is, you might as well include your buddies on the team even if they suck.

Bill

I don't like scrambles............but I look forward to the workday knowing I have to be on the tee for a 10am SHOTGUN.   HEHE

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

not necessarily true.  Depends on who is hosting the event for sure.

There is a charity scramble here for SIDS held by a local couple who's baby died from the syndrome and they give 1000 dollars to the winners.  They make a killing off of raffle tickets(this year it was a set of 3 vokey wedges at 5 dollars a ticket or 12 for 3) and also the auction they have the night before.  You will usually end up having to beat a couple college golf ringers to win but definitely not cheaters.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Scrambles are just for fun.  I usually don't even keep track of score and have to ask at the end "Did we win"? . .so cheating definitely would escape my notice.  I've never seen excessive drinking like you described either . .sure some ppl get a good buzz or even more . .but not to the point of acting out.  I love scrambles, especially between friends - my wife and I play sometimes with another couple and scramble is the most fun format.

Maybe there should be another choice in the poll -  for people who get too competitive when it's just a scramble.

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!