IGNORED

Shorts...

Note: This thread is 4170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a pair of Nike golf shorts which have a small, zippered cargo pocket.  I wouldn't call them cargo shorts, but they do have a pocket on the side of the leg.  I can't see any golf club that allows shorts having a problem with them.  In fact, I've worn them to a couple very swanky private clubs without incident.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a pair of Nike golf shorts which have a small, zippered cargo pocket.  I wouldn't call them cargo shorts, but they do have a pocket on the side of the leg.  I can't see any golf club that allows shorts having a problem with them.  In fact, I've worn them to a couple very swanky private clubs without incident.

My dad has a bunch of those, and as far as I can tell no one's ever given him a strange look or said anything to him about them. They're Columbia brand, but they look every bit as nice as regular khaki shorts. Just one small pocket along the side (and the pocket goes inside like a regular pocket, not outside like cargo pockets).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Most courses have a rule against cargo shorts.  Now if youre playing some cheap muni they probably wont care but any nice course will tell you to take your business elsewhere.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think we're not all on the same page about what defines a cargo short.  Some are cotton twill with big baggy pockets on the outside of the legs and cotton drawstrings.  Those are probably not appropriate for many private clubs.  Others have flat pockets on the side of the legs that are barely noticeable.  Many golf apparel companies make a short like this.  I would challenge anyone to produce an instance where they've seen someone actually turned away from any course that allows shorts for wearing these.

And I will disagree that "most courses" disallow cargo shorts.  Based on my 26 years of playing golf at courses of every character and caliber, my experience is that it is a very small minority of courses that would turn away someone wearing cotton twill, baggy pocket cargo shorts.  So long as you're wearing shorts of appropriate length and a collared polo shirt, you can get by just about anywhere.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I'm also 6'4" and I recently bought a couple pairs of Izod golf shorts and they are def longer then my Greg Normans. I'm not sure of the exact inseam length but they seem a little bit longer than your typical golf short. I would suggest trying them, they are very light and comfortable.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Most courses have a rule against cargo shorts.  Now if youre playing some cheap muni they probably wont care but any nice course will tell you to take your business elsewhere.

Really?  MOST courses?   I think you are overstating that a bit.   I have played a whole bunch of different courses this past year, including private courses and a couple that were $150/round to play.  I have seen cargo shorts on every single course I have played.   Not even the very nice type mentioned elsewhere in this thread but the cotton type with the outside pockets.

I am sure (in fact I know) there are some swanky courses out there that don't allow cargos, but to say that most courses don't allow them is a stretch.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I agree, cargo shorts are acceptable golf attire on most muni and public courses.  I'd say most country clubs and private courses don't permit cargo shorts.

I also agree with k-troop, there are different types of cargo shorts, the messy cotton ones with lots of pockets and drawstrings are the ones I'm referring to.  The other ones look almost like golf shorts with an extra pocket.

Originally Posted by teamroper60

Really?  MOST courses?   I think you are overstating that a bit.   I have played a whole bunch of different courses this past year, including private courses and a couple that were $150/round to play.  I have seen cargo shorts on every single course I have played.   Not even the very nice type mentioned elsewhere in this thread but the cotton type with the outside pockets.

I am sure (in fact I know) there are some swanky courses out there that don't allow cargos, but to say that most courses don't allow them is a stretch.

Joe Paradiso

I play at Pinehurst with Quicksilver Cargo Shorts on..........  So I don't know about "Most".

But there must be different ideas of what a pair of cargo shorts is, because I don't see how adding a couple of pockets makes shorts "inappropriate golf attire"

I just bought two pair (black and slate/gray) of Lululemon men's Kahuna shorts.  It is unbelievable how comfortable they are... I'd highly recommend them for golf - and they can double as workout shorts too.

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/men-shorts/Kahuna-Short-31823?cc=0001&skuId;=3459241&catId;=men-shorts

Go to Macy's and get some Greg Norman golf shorts....s/b on sale about now......very lightweight material so they are cool in the summer.....long enough to be at your knee.....my wife loves how they come out of the washer & dryer.

I like 'em because they also have a "rubberry" band inside the waist so your shirt stays in.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Some courses don't consider cargo shorts appropriate golf attire.

Yes, but that would be some not all as GaijinGolfer implied.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

I play at Pinehurst with Quicksilver Cargo Shorts on..........  So I don't know about "Most".

But there must be different ideas of what a pair of cargo shorts is, because I don't see how adding a couple of pockets makes shorts "inappropriate golf attire"

Its because they look sloppy.  Fair or not, thats just the way it is.  Just like a lot of nicer courses have rules requiring collared shirts.  If you cant stand to give up your beloved cargo shorts, go play your local muni.  Im sure theyd be more than happy to take your money.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Three of the four courses I play on regularly don't alow cargo shorts. They also require collared shirts. I've always thought that was the norm and that Muni's (the one course I play regularly that allows them) were the exception.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Its because they look sloppy.  Fair or not, thats just the way it is.  Just like a lot of nicer courses have rules requiring collared shirts.  If you cant stand to give up your beloved cargo shorts, go play your local muni.  Im sure theyd be more than happy to take your money.

I'm sorry, I'm a member at a Country Club, will not wear anything but collared shirts on the course, and I know for certain, without a doubt, not a doubt in my mind, that these (what I wear):

Look much more appropriate and neater on the course than these, which are "Golf Shorts":

The problem with cargo shorts is that too many I've seen started out looking like the ones you posted but after the first time through the dryer they look like these....

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

I'm sorry, I'm a member at a Country Club, will not wear anything but collared shirts on the course, and I know for certain, without a doubt, not a doubt in my mind, that these (what I wear):

Look much more appropriate and neater on the course than these, which are "Golf Shorts":

Joe Paradiso

I would never wear anything that looked like that EVER, not just on the golf course.  I don't think I've ever seen any of those on my home course either.  So in that respect, I guess those would not be allowed.  I'm very funny about the way I look when I get on the golf course, so the fact that I wear "cargo shorts" and they're "not appropriate" was confusing to me, but I guess my idea of cargo shorts is different, because I wouldn't wear those to mow the lawn in........ Well, maybe then, but never out in public....... lol

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The problem with cargo shorts is that too many I've seen started out looking like the ones you posted but after the first time through the dryer they look like these....

Cargo shorts are not acceptable for golf.  Infact, a lot of courses wont even let you on if you show up with cargo shorts.

They might not be acceptable to certain golf ESTABLISHMENTS, which, as private entities, can make any rule they so desire. That doesn't mean they're not acceptable attire for GOLF.

Sorry, but private clubs govern only what occurs inside their boundaries. They don't set the rules for the game.

John

Note: This thread is 4170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!