IGNORED

Will the Tour Championship ever take over majors as the biggest event in golf?

jshots
Note: This thread is 4230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Will the Tour Championship (and FedEx cup) ever become more prestigous than the 4 majors?

• Yes.
    • No.

Since it's only been fairly recently that the FedEx cup started being awarded at this event, will it become bigger than the majors? I feel as though it deserves to be the biggest event, and the more I think about it, the more I don't understand why the Majors have more clout than the tour playoffs and the Tour Championship.

It is truly a competition of the best golfers each year, and it's hard to argue that the winner is not the best player of the year. It is much more comparable to the super bowl, world series, etc, than majors are. I think for that reason, it will naturally take it's place as the biggest event in golf at some point.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No.

And how the hell can you "not understand" why tournaments that have been played for over 100 years have more clout than made for TV money fests? Ridiculous.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

No.

And how the hell can you "not understand" why tournaments that have been played for over 100 years have more clout than made for TV money fests? Ridiculous.

Tradition for the sake of tradition... always a bad argument.

No.

Come on, don't hold back because you have no valid argument, say what you really mean.

• Upvote 2

No

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by jshots

Since it's only been fairly recently that the FedEx cup started being awarded at this event, will it become bigger than the majors? I feel as though it deserves to be the biggest event, and the more I think about it, the more I don't understand why the Majors have more clout than the tour playoffs and the Tour Championship.

It is truly a competition of the best golfers each year, and it's hard to argue that the winner is not the best player of the year. It is much more comparable to the super bowl, world series, etc, than majors are. I think for that reason, it will naturally take it's place as the biggest event in golf at some point.

No, because it is the end of the US golf season. The Majors are whole world events.

...it's hard to argue that the winner is not the best player of the year.

No, it's not hard to argue that. The winner of the Tour Championship is the best player of four days in September. You can win the Tour Championship and not win the FedExCup, or the money list, or the POY.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

No, because it is the end of the US golf season. The Majors are whole world events.

3 of which are in the US.... The field in the Tour Championship has no less players from around the world than the other majors.

Originally Posted by jamo

No, it's not hard to argue that. The winner of the Tour Championship is the best player of four days in September. You can win the Tour Championship and not win the FedExCup, or the money list, or the POY.

I sort of agree with that, but it's kind of like winning the World Series as a wild card. And only the top 5 (is it 5? I think its 5) are guaranteed to win the fedexcup if they are the winner of the Tour Championship.

Originally Posted by burner

Come on, don't hold back because you have no valid argument, say what you really mean.

Please point out the bit that isn't valid.

Is it the notion that the Open Championship, which has been going since 1860, is more important than an event developed in the last 6 years?

I've got no argument at all.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Nope.  Theres a reason why its the, "tour championship" not a major.  Its just a made-reason for people to care about golf in the fall.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

The FedEx Cup has made for a nice coda to the season that used to just kind of drag on & on, and it draws the best players, so it had a place in the heiarchy  of events - more important than a regular tour event...but below the majors.

And if you don't believe me, just ask any pro what they would rather have - winning the FedEx Cup or a major. The answer's pretty obvious.

Is it the notion that the Open Championship, which has been going since 1860, is more important than an event developed in the last 6 years?

Tradition for the sake of tradition, it's just not really a good reason to keep something going. The majors will always be big, but they aren't a test of the best golfer for an entire year. I think that the most prestigious title of the year should go the very best golfer in that year. There shouldn't be 4 different ones. In another 100 years we could be looking back at the Tour Championship as the super bowl of golf, and I think that is more appealing than 4 separate super bowls of golf.

I mean think how much more boring the PGA championship is than the other majors... it's too much and no one cares. The FedEx cup has major build up with the playoffs, and then one final weekend to determine who is the best golfer in the world for that year.

Quote:

Tradition for the sake of tradition, it's just not really a good reason to keep something going. The majors will always be big, but they aren't a test of the best golfer for an entire year. I think that the most prestigious title of the year should go the very best golfer in that year. There shouldn't be 4 different ones. In another 100 years we could be looking back at the Tour Championship as the super bowl of golf, and I think that is more appealing than 4 separate super bowls of golf.

I mean think how much more boring the PGA championship is than the other majors... it's too much and no one cares. The FedEx cup has major build up with the playoffs, and then one final weekend to determine who is the best golfer in the world for that year.

Test of the best golfers for an entire year? No, this certainly does not describe either the majors or the FedEx Cup. A player could win zero events in the FedEx Cup playoffs, including not winning the Coca-Cola Tour Championship, and be the FedEx Cup Champion. That right there is lame enough that it will never supplant any majors in importance. The simple fact the Majors don't need title sponsors illustrates how huge they are.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Test of the best golfers for an entire year? No, this certainly does not describe either the majors or the FedEx Cup. A player could win zero events in the FedEx Cup playoffs, including not winning the Coca-Cola Tour Championship, and be the FedEx Cup Champion. That right there is lame enough that it will never supplant any majors in importance. The simple fact the Majors don't need title sponsors illustrates how huge they are.

Well maybe there should be more changes to the way the FedEx Cup works, but like I said, it would be more like the World Series of golf. The best player might not always win (the one that played the absolute best all year long), but most of the time they will, or should, as with the championship in any sport. It may not be the very best test of the best golfer for the year, but it is certainly moreso than any of the majors, and it has more the form of an end of the season championship like other sports.

Sure, because the most prestigious events SHOULD exclude some of the best players in the world because they play on the "wrong" tour.

Sheesh!!

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 4230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!