IGNORED

Poll: What Type of Golfer are You?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When it comes to the rules of golf, what category do you fall into?

• Always follow the rules PERFECTLY- i.e. have taken a course to be a rules official or studied enough to know all the rules and decisions inside and out.
    • Know the basic rules and ALWAYS try to follow them as much as possible, but may make an occasional mistake or be uncertain as to a more obscure rule or decision.
    • Know the basic rules, but will not always follow them in a non-competitive round (i.e. drop a ball near where you think you lost your original when you did not hit a provisional)
    • Try to follow the rules, but suspect you have a flawed understanding of some of the rules (i.e. think it is ok to just drop near where you think you lost your original ball, not knowing that they should really go back to the tee).
    • Not interested in following the rules- i.e. not willing to give up your foot wedge if you draw a tough lie.
    • None of the Above- please explain below.

Originally Posted by Teamanglerx

I follow the rules most of the time.  The only rule I might break is dropping a ball along the line of flight if I didn't hit a provisonal.  This is more of a speed of play thing.  If I know its gone I hit a provisional.

Originally Posted by Ricepr

I'm a Two, except I will drop if I can't find my tee shot. I will hit provisional if I know I lost it, but I'm not goin back to the tee and holdin everybody up cause I pulled a dumbo

But how many strokes do you assess yourselves?  Most folks I've seen do that add a stroke, so they are hitting their third.  But to make it equitable they should add 2 strokes (the OB penalty is stroke & distance - which means you have to add 2 strokes to emulate re-teeing).

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

But how many strokes do you assess yourselves?  Most folks I've seen do that add a stroke, so they are hitting their third.  But to make it equitable they should add 2 strokes (the OB penalty is stroke & distance - which means you have to add 2 strokes to emulate re-teeing).

That's what I do. My imaginary provisional is placed near where my first crappy shot was last seen, and add 2 strokes. I would go back if there were no golfers on the tee (and would be more likely to do so if other golfers knew the stroke and distance penalty rule).

TaylorMade Burner Driver (2009) 9.5 degree, Stiff
TaylorMade R7 3 Wood, Stiff 
Nike VR Pro Hybrid 21 degree, Stiff 
Mizuno MX23 4-PW, Rifle shafts, Reg
Nike SV 52-56-60 wedges (ILLEGAL!)
NeverCompromise mallet putter (OLD)
Srixon AD-333 or Titleist Pro V1

Follow local rules. Our course has many that others feel oppose the rules of golf (e.g. marking red stake lateral water hazards that have no water).

Play matchplay so accept and give conceded putts.

I do not know all the penalties/remedies for some rule violations ("Is that one stroke or two?") but I know most all of the rules violations. So, don't hit someone else's ball. If you do and did not notice until the hole is over, I never am clear how you should mark your card. I do know that my team will win low total for that hole in our bet. And I "never" hit someone else's ball since mine is yellow and very heavily marked up.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Since I don't have a sponsor who'll overnight me a new club, should I ruin one with a shot off of a rocky or hard surface,

I don't mind moving the ball a few inches if needed in a non competitive round.  And in a competitive round, if it's just a foursome, we

always establish the rules before the first tee.  In a tourny I always stick to the rules.  Being that I'm not a pro and no one is paying me

to play this game or display their corporate logo I don't mind adjusting the hard and fast rules to increase the enjoyment factor, as long

as everyone in the group is in agreement and all playing to the same rules.

Around here there's also"WIllies Rules"....like: "Put the ball where it would have gone if that tree or pond wasn't there" We haven't actually

played by any of his rules but it's a bit funny to think of WIllie playing golf on his private course and establishing his own set of rules.

I play by the rules when in a competitive round.. However, when I'm not I play to what "I" feel is right for the time.... Such as:  A tee shot finds the rough, about 10-20 yards off the fairway.. YOU know there is no hazard around, but unable to find it.. I don't expect anyone to go back to the tee and rehit (stroke and distance),  To me that just slows down play.. Often if our group feels the ball is just lost because of too many leaves on the ground as an example.. NO penalty at all, but play a new ball where we all suspect it to have landed.. For me.. I have 2 sets of rules.. One for competitive play, USGA.. and One for me leisure play..    GO PLAY!!

Know the basic rules and ALWAYS try to follow them as much as possible, but may make an occasional mistake or be uncertain as to a more obscure rule or decision.
I've had instances where I did not follow rules, if I know or think I hit a ball OB, I will play a second ball, but I have at times been on a busy course and not thought I've hit a ball OB only to find it OB.  I will not go back and play a ball, I will take a drop and add 2 strokes.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Following the rules to the best of your knowledge in any game, is always going to help improve your understanding of the game which also leads toward improvement of your own game. That's why I follow the rules.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

I know the basic rules but have been known to move the ball off a rock or root and also to roll it in the fairway. I don't keep an official HC, I don't play in competition (Other than an occasional 4 man charity scramble) and I never play for money. I go out to enjoy the day, hang with the fellas and have a good time.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got no problem with anyone moving their ball off of a cart path or a rock.... We gotta pay for these clubs..... hehehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by vo-man

Since I don't have a sponsor who'll overnight me a new club, should I ruin one with a shot off of a rocky or hard surface,

I don't mind moving the ball a few inches if needed in a non competitive round.  And in a competitive round, if it's just a foursome, we

always establish the rules before the first tee.  In a tourny I always stick to the rules.  Being that I'm not a pro and no one is paying me

to play this game or display their corporate logo I don't mind adjusting the hard and fast rules to increase the enjoyment factor, as long

as everyone in the group is in agreement and all playing to the same rules.

Around here there's also"WIllies Rules"....like: "Put the ball where it would have gone if that tree or pond wasn't there"  We haven't actually

played by any of his rules but it's a bit funny to think of WIllie playing golf on his private course and establishing his own set of rules.

I would take the stroke penalty instead of risking hurting myself trying to hit off a root. That said, in a buddy event last week (competitive and some money on the line), on my first hole, my shot in the middle of the fairway landing surrounded by goose poop. No divot or anything. Perfect lie if one wanted to move the poop directly in back of and in front of the ball. I could have moved the poop and dirtied a club, towel or whatever, but instead moved the ball without penalty. Call it situational ethics.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by Stewie007

I've got no problem with anyone moving their ball off of a cart path or a rock.... We gotta pay for these clubs..... hehehe

Pretty sure it is within the rules to take a free drop off of cart paths, at least that is what I have always done when they are paved.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I carry a rules book, hit provisional ball when in doubt about finding my ball in bounds or just finding my ball, and I play by the rules almost all the time.  But I admit upon rare occasion when I'm sure I'll find my ball and it is in bounds, but that turns out to not be the case; if the course is crowded I'll drop a ball and take two strokes.  If the course isn't crowded I make the walk of shame.  But in the former case I do it more as a courtesy to other players as usually dropping a ball somewhere where you think your ball was is a much poorer lie & position than hitting a second ball from the original postion (same golfer, more experience as they say).

Butch

Know the basic rules, but will not always follow them in a non-competitive round (i.e. drop a ball near where you think you lost your original when you did not hit a provisional) We don't go back to the tee if we can't find the ball because the course is usually backed up and you'd probably get killed if you did.

If it is a competitive round I follow the rules. I play a lot of practice rounds alone and then do not think about the rules only about improving my swing or what ever I am working on.  I play a lot of friendly rounds and we decide what rules will apply ie mulligans etc.

Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!