IGNORED

2012 Tour Championship Discussion Thread: PGA Tour Playoffs

jshots
Note: This thread is 4242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Who will win the Fedex Cup?

• Rory McIlroy
    • Tiger Woods
    • Nick Watney
    • Phil Mickelson
    • Brand Snedecker
    • Someone outside the top 5

Originally Posted by phan52

Just saw something I don't see on the tour very often. Garrigus's caddie was raking the greenside bunker and Z. Johnson's caddie went over and cleaned Garrigus's ball for him.

I thought that too the first time I saw it as well.  But now that you have seen it once, pay attention because it's obviously a caddie ettiquette thing.  They do it every time.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I thought that too the first time I saw it as well.  But now that you have seen it once, pay attention because it's obviously a caddie ettiquette thing.  They do it every time.

The closest I came to caddying at Tour level was a Monday qualifier for a friend, but did a lot of country club caddying...good caddies will definitely help each other out.  Obviously not with advice on the tour level, but a wet rag is a wet rag.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Tiger has found the strategy for 17th. Hit it into the right rough, around some cables or other unmovable objects, get a free drop and put it where you want it. The way the leaderboard looks now, it's good news for Rory. Of the top 10 in the FedEx Cup, only three are within reach of the victory. Of those three, only Tiger and Snedeker can guarantee the cup with a win this week.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

The way the leaderboard looks now, it's good news for Rory. Of the top 10 in the FedEx Cup, only three are within reach of the victory. Of those three, only Tiger and Snedeker can guarantee the cup with a win this week.

Yep, Tiger lost the tournament on Friday.  If he could have just held steady Friday and played the same round today he'd be one shot off.  He'll need a miracle tomorrow.

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 10.5*, Regular

5 Wood:  TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 18*, Regular

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4, 22*

Irons:  Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG16 Black, 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter:  Nike OZ Black T130, SuperStroke Slim 55

Ball:  Bridgestone e6

Rangefinder:  Callaway Razr

If not Tiger, I'm hoping Sneds gets it.

Man I felt bad for Jim there on 17

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 10.5*, Regular

5 Wood:  TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 18*, Regular

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4, 22*

Irons:  Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG16 Black, 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter:  Nike OZ Black T130, SuperStroke Slim 55

Ball:  Bridgestone e6

Rangefinder:  Callaway Razr

Tiger certainly hasn't lost it, nor has Snedeker. A 64 tomorrow by Tiger could easily win it. He was close to shooting 62 or 63 on Thursday.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Did you guys see that if Sneds finishes solo 2nd and Rory in a 3 way t4 with Rose or somebody down low on the list winning, then they tie for the cup (and would presumably have a playoff).  In general, I like the reset, but it seems odd that Rory could have two play off wins (4 total), a top 5 at the TC and lose to a guy whose only win came in January without that guy even winning the Tour Championship.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Went out for a beer, returned and Furyk had lost 3 shots.  What happened?

pulled it into the water on 17 off the tee...opted to re-tee instead of moving it up about 75 yards and taking a drop in the rough.  Pushed it right on 2nd tee ball, then put the next one in the greenside bunker, came up short, good putt from 20 feet that didn`t drop.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by joekelly

Went out for a beer, returned and Furyk had lost 3 shots.  What happened?

It was an awful blow up hole. Experienced Touring Pro takes a 7 with three bad shots in a row. Every amateur can feel the pain, except we're not kissing off $1M when that happens. Well, he can recover on Sunday.

These "whiteboard sessions" on TGC are ridiculous!  The Fedex Cup points system is way, way too convoluted - and all these sessions do is prove it (and put me to sleep).  So, if hundreds of variables (that you could never possibly follow along with) line up then we might have a playoff between Tiger and Rory.  Okaaaaay.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

These "whiteboard sessions" on TGC are ridiculous!  The Fedex Cup points system is way, way too convoluted - and all these sessions do is prove it (and put me to sleep).  So, if hundreds of variables (that you could never possibly follow along with) line up then we might have a playoff between Tiger and Rory.  Okaaaaay.

I don't know, I think it makes it interesting.  The odds of a playoff for the FedEx Cup are extremely remote--kinda like a double fault on a final out in the championship round of dodgeball.  And Rory is really the only guy with a realistic chance to win the cup without winning the TC, which would be a great outcome because he's clearly the best player on Tour this year.  It would be pretty bad if somehow guys from the back of the FEC field won each of the 3 playoff events, and you have a situation where (for example) Watney is #1 going into the TC, and he can win the Cup by finishing 10th in the TC with his only win of the season coming at one of the early playoff events.

Kevin

Brilliant comments by Johnny Miller thus far:

1. Bobby Jones might have been the greatest player ever had he not retired after his Grand Slam.

2. Snedeker opens the face slightly just after impact, which is what causes his baby fade.

Kevin

I like it when we see high speed close up shots of the driver at impact, at different angles every time, and the announcers talk about how they see the clubface being a degree or two too open or closed. This tournament is the biggest meh all year long. At this point, I'm just hoping Rory takes the cup.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Does anyone have any idea why Furyk chose to hit again off the 17th tee yesterday (Saturday), after hitting a pull/draw with driver into the water (a lateral hazard)?  He could have taken a drop from about 80 yards closer to the green - what am I missing?   He made a triple on that hole which pretty much ended his chances - most uncharacteristic.

Good win for Snedeker.  He might have folded after that double on the par 3 6th but came back strongly.  That guy is mentally tough, especially around the green.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

He made a triple on that hole which pretty much ended his chances - most uncharacteristic.

On the contrary, it was very characteristic.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by atb5079

Good for Brandt. He's a hell of a putter and a great guy.

And a quick player

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4242 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!