IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Q: Are you for against the proposed ban on anchoring the putter?

Zach Johnson: “I think the reasons to keep it legal far outweigh the ones to make it illegal. I think the game is so far into it, and the trickle-down effect in pro shops, to the amateurs, and to who knows who, is too deep. If it’s that big of an advantage, then we’d all be doing it, and we’re not.”

Golf Magazine - April 2013

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by dave67az

PGA president: 'Bifurcation seems destined' if anchoring banned

By Will Gray

Mar 15, 2013 5:08 PM ET

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/pga-president-bifurcation-seems-destined-if-anchoring-banned/

Here was the main argument, summarized in this paragraph:

"We have serious concerns on how the ban on anchoring could affect the enjoyment of the game by our amateur customers," he explained. "Over the past few months, I have received dozens of letters from concerned amateurs ... these people are discouraged and frustrated that the anchoring ban will be imposed after they adopted a previously legal method of putting. Most indicate they will play less golf or quit. The game cannot afford this."

Emphasis mine.  "Dozens."  Does that carry a lot of weight?  And I call bull**** that they will quit.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

Q: Are you for against the proposed ban on anchoring the putter?

Zach Johnson: “I think the reasons to keep it legal far outweigh the ones to make it illegal. I think the game is so far into it, and the trickle-down effect in pro shops, to the amateurs, and to who knows who, is too deep. If it’s that big of an advantage, then we’d all be doing it, and we’re not.”

Golf Magazine - April 2013

They aren't even being coy in speaking to the heart of the matter.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Here was the main argument, summarized in this paragraph:

Emphasis mine.  "Dozens."  Does that carry a lot of weight?  And I call bull**** that they will quit.

Well, a ton could quit.

If they continue to anchor if anchoring is banned, then they are no longer playing golf, since they would be playing by another set of rules. (yes, i know some people dont currently follow the rules either - but this would make law abiding citizens turn into non-golfers)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They aren't even being coy in speaking to the heart of the matter.

Seems pretty much to the heart of the matter. They asked if Johnson (who doesn’t anchor, btw) if he agrees with the ruling. He does not and gave his reasons.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

• Administrator

Hopefully the dozens that quit are the slow ones.

Bye bye.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by meenman

Well, a ton could quit.

If they continue to anchor if anchoring is banned, then they are no longer playing golf, since they would be playing by another set of rules. (yes, i know some people dont currently follow the rules either - but this would make law abiding citizens turn into non-golfers)

A ton.  That's what...like 7 or 8 golfers?  lol

Language means a lot.

"Dozens of golfers" to me pretty much means less than 100, otherwise he would have said "hundreds" since he was trying to emphasize that a lot of people were writing in.

Wonder how many "dozens" will write in after his statement to back the ban.  Wonder if we'll ever find out.  Yeah...I'm thinking not.

Originally Posted by dave67az

Wonder how many "dozens" will write in after his statement to back the ban.  Wonder if we'll ever find out.  Yeah...I'm thinking not.

I believe the comment period is over - so those that write in either way should (in theory) be wasting their time.

Follow me on twitter

Originally Posted by meenman

I believe the comment period is over - so those that write in either way should (in theory) be wasting their time.

I don't remember the PGA of America saying they had a deadline on their comment period.

"We have serious concerns on how the ban on anchoring could affect the enjoyment of the game by our amateur customers," he explained. "Over the past few months, I have received dozens of letters from concerned amateurs ... these people are discouraged and frustrated that the anchoring ban will be imposed after they adopted a previously legal method of putting. Most indicate they will play less golf or quit. The game cannot afford this."

They have received dozens of letters from those opposed to the ban?  Well whoop-de-doo.  Did they expect to get many letters from those who are content with it?  You rarely make a concerted effort for something that you are in favor of.  People only get loud when they're bitching about something.  You buy something which works exactly as advertised, you don't go the complaints department and tell them how wonderful it is.  But if you have a complaint, then you raise a ruckus.

If they were to take an honest poll of amateurs at all levels, those adamantly opposed would be such a tiny minority that it would probably be statistically insignificant.  Probably half the players polled would have to have it explained because they wouldn't even know what you were talking about.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

A ton.  That's what...like 7 or 8 golfers?  lol Language means a lot. "Dozens of golfers" to me pretty much means less than 100, otherwise he would have said "hundreds" since he was trying to emphasize that a lot of people were writing in. Wonder how many "dozens" will write in after his statement to back the ban.  Wonder if we'll ever find out.  Yeah...I'm thinking not.

I agree, language does mean a lot. Not sure, though, that he could properly say "hundreds" unless it was at least 200. So that means that we're talking about somewhere between 24 and 199 golfers out of how many million? Not exactly "a ton." :)

Originally Posted by iacas

Hopefully the dozens that quit are the slow ones.

Bye bye.

+1 absolutely agree.

Finally the PGA of America has come out and proven once and for all they are run by a bunch of morons.

Frankly I could not give a sh*t if tons and tons of golfers quit JUST because they cannot anchor the putter against their body when they putt.

Dozens of golfers is definitely less than 100 or he'd have said 100's.  Lame justification, as dozens of golfers aren't going to affect the future of the sport.  I also doubt the dozens that threatened to quit would actually do so if the ban is upheld.  I heard many people claim they'd leave the country if Obama was re-elected and they are all still here, so hollow threats at best.

It seems the Europeans and LPGA has much more respect for the rules makers than the PGA and PGA Tour.  I saw a quote that basically said the reason the Euro Tour players are supporting the R&A; is because they believe the R&A; and USGA have no stake in the this other than to do what they feel is best for the game.  They feel they've done a great job up to this point based on the fact that both the Euro Tour and PGA Tour have followed their unified rules for the last 50 years and that they saw no reason to question their ability to set the rules now.

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Dozens of golfers is definitely less than 100 or he'd have said 100's.  Lame justification, as dozens of golfers aren't going to affect the future of the sport.  I also doubt the dozens that threatened to quit would actually do so if the ban is upheld.  I heard many people claim they'd leave the country if Obama was re-elected and they are all still here, so hollow threats at best.

It seems the Europeans and LPGA has much more respect for the rules makers than the PGA and PGA Tour.  I saw a quote that basically said the reason the Euro Tour players are supporting the R&A; is because they believe the R&A; and USGA have no stake in the this other than to do what they feel is best for the game.  They feel they've done a great job up to this point based on the fact that both the Euro Tour and PGA Tour have followed their unified rules for the last 50 years and that they saw no reason to question their ability to set the rules now.

+1 to a fellow lefty.

A much much more eloguent reply than mine but our sentiments are similiar.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

If they were to take an honest poll of amateurs at all levels, those adamantly opposed would be such a tiny minority that it would probably be statistically insignificant.  Probably half the players polled would have to have it explained because they wouldn't even know what you were talking about.

I think a more telling poll would be one that asks if people would quit the game if the ban took effect.

I could see some guys honestly saying they are against the ban, even if they don't anchor, and even if they don't much care either way.  They would just be expressing their opinion with little emotionally invested in the matter.  But ask how many would quit the sport, and that's where I think you would see the "statistically insignificant" numbers.  It wouldn't surprise me to see 20% of respondents claiming to be against a ban, but only 1% claiming to be willing to quit over it.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I think a more telling poll would be one that asks if people would quit the game if the ban took effect.

I could see some guys honestly saying they are against the ban, even if they don't anchor, and even if they don't much care either way.  They would just be expressing their opinion with little emotionally invested in the matter.  But ask how many would quit the sport, and that's where I think you would see the "statistically insignificant" numbers.  It wouldn't surprise me to see 20% of respondents claiming to be against a ban, but only 1% claiming to be willing to quit over it.

1% is too high.  Golfers are stubborn, persistent people or they wouldn't keep plugging away against the odds in the first place.  Those few who would actually quit over something so trivial don't really have a golfer's mindset anyway.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I think a more telling poll would be one that asks if people would quit the game if the ban took effect. I could see some guys honestly saying they are against the ban, even if they don't anchor, and even if they don't much care either way.  They would just be expressing their opinion with little emotionally invested in the matter.  But ask how many would quit the sport, and that's where I think you would see the "statistically insignificant" numbers.  It wouldn't surprise me to see 20% of respondents claiming to be against a ban, but only 1% claiming to be willing to quit over it.

I think instead of 20% and 1% those numbers would be much more separated ... Like 35 or 40% against (if I HAD to vote I think I'd be in that group) and 0.0001% that would actually quit.

Please correct me if I am wrong but ..... the PGA of America is against the ban because -

"We have serious concerns on how the ban on anchoring could affect the enjoyment of the game by our amateur customers," he explained. "Over the past few months, I have received dozens of letters from concerned amateurs ... these people are discouraged and frustrated that the anchoring ban will be imposed after they adopted a previously legal method of putting. Most indicate they will play less golf or quit. The game cannot afford this." - Ted Bishop president of PGA of America

1. There is an assertion that anchoring does not result in any advantages over any other putting stroke.

So if that is the case then just do what meenman suggested in post #960 -

"Even if the (proposed) ban went through, myself and most of the 20+ golfers at my club with broomstick putters, would continue to use them in a perfectly legal way.
It is a stroke we have become accustomed to and it would be a matter of moving the club a quarter inch away from our chests."

meenman also stated in post #969 -

"I toyed around with it when the rumors started. I already use 2 different putter strokes depending on the length of the putt (a full upper body tilt or just using my right hand) I do not put a ton of pressure into my chest as I anchor, so the feeling is not all that different. Really not a huge difference except I am going to need a steady left hand ."

meenman I am not trying to pick on you it is just that you use a long putter and you raised some good points.

Surely moving the top hand a fraction away from the chest would not results in golfers that use the long putter to quit or play less golf.

2. Again meenman pointed out that many use the long putter because they have a bad back and they would not otherwise not be able to play or practice more.

This is a very valid concern. But again by merely moving the top hand a fraction away from the chest would still allow them to play or practice as much as they currently do. The long putter has not been banned just the anchoring to the body.

So if anchoring does not afford any advantages and those with a physical issue can still play and practice as much as they want why is the banning such a big issue????

My belief -

Now I can't emphasize this enough ...... the following paragraphs are my opinion only and there are no ways to quantify or prove empirically what I am stating. Please those of you who are against the ban don't jump all over me saying there is no empirical evidence .... I AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS .

I THINK THERE IS AN ADVANTAGE TO SOME GOLFERS WHO USE THE ANCHORING METHOD OF PUTTING ...... omg I've stirred up the pot again.

I play with a golfer who when he gets within 12 inches of the hole he has the yips so bad he just cannot putt the ball into the hole. He take this ugly stab (and that is the only way to describe his stroke) at the ball and hopes somehow it get into the hole. The other parts of his game is just fine. He has tried every grip and it did not help. Then same player started using the belly putter and anchored it against his body, the yips were totally eliminated. He has stated to me that it is really no fun at all when he had the yips and contemplated quiting the game until he starting using the belly putter.

So why doesn't the PGA of America just come out and say it ..... for some golfers with the yips it allows them to enjoy the game more. There is an advantage for some.

Of course by coming out and saying this the PGA Tour would have to restate their assertion that it does not give any advantage and therefore there is no reason to ban the stroke.

OK this will keep the posts going for another 100 pages or so.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by ay33660

So if anchoring does not afford any advantages and those with a physical issue can still play and practice as much as they want why is the banning such a big issue????

My belief -

Now I can't emphasize this enough ...... the following paragraphs are my opinion only and there are no ways to quantify or prove empirically what I am stating. Please those of you who are against the ban don't jump all over me saying there is no empirical evidence .... I AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS.

I THINK THERE IS AN ADVANTAGE TO SOME GOLFERS WHO USE THE ANCHORING METHOD OF PUTTING ...... omg I've stirred up the pot again.

I play with a golfer who when he gets within 12 inches of the hole he has the yips so bad he just cannot putt the ball into the hole. He take this ugly stab (and that is the only way to describe his stroke) at the ball and hopes somehow it get into the hole. The other parts of his game is just fine. He has tried every grip and it did not help. Then same player started using the belly putter and anchored it against his body, the yips were totally eliminated. He has stated to me that it is really no fun at all when he had the yips and contemplated quiting the game until he starting using the belly putter.

So why doesn't the PGA of America just come out and say it ..... for some golfers with the yips it allows them to enjoy the game more. There is an advantage for some.

Of course by coming out and saying this the PGA Tour would have to restate their assertion that it does not give any advantage and therefore there is no reason to ban the stroke.

OK this will keep the posts going for another 100 pages or so.

Even though this is a (proposed) stroke ban and not an equipment ban, I think this would basically ban the belly putter. I dont see how they can be used un-anchored. (probably because I never tried one)

Belly putter use may be more prevalent than any of us realize because it may not be obvious that a golfer is carrying one. Broomstick putters stick out, the belly putters do not unless you are watching someone on the green while you play.

I forget the post, but earlier someone stated that this whole *comment period* was nothing more than the USGA + R+A coming up with ways to fight any proposed arguments against the (proposed) ban and word the ruling to protect themselves against any frivolous lawsuits.

Follow me on twitter

Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!