IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by phan52

It wasn't relevant when Johnny Miller won at Pebble Beach 25 years ago or Orville Moody won the Senior Open in 1989? Or Azinger won on tour over a decade ago?

Phan, the USGA/R&A; have already spoken to the answer of "why now?" So bring something new to the discussion as I'm declaring this line of discussion as having reached its end.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by zipazoid

You don't go to jail for breaking a sports rule.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

This game was meant to be played a certain way, and in making a stroke you do not stand straddling the line, you do not get on the ground and hit it like a pool shot, you must swing the club. Now want constituted swing a club, in the eyes of the USGA it is when the one end of the club is not anchored to the body.

I know you can cry all you want about timing, timing doesn't matter, and to argue it does is a futile act of stupidity.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by turtleback

Croquet putting was legal for a long time and people did it.  But then Snead, a high profile golfer, did it and it became a threat to the game because they thought that people would copy his example, and so it was outlawed.  IMO the ruling bodies gave anchoring a little time, once it became more common on the big tour, to see if it was going to be a passing fad.  But it went the other way and they took action.

This is the best analogy that I've read so far on the subject, and one that nicely disposes of the "why now?" and "why not earlier?" arguments.

A fair amount of effort had to be invested by the various interest parties over a period of time in coming up with the new rule - no point in doing this unless there was consensus that the issue had risen to the requisite level.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I don't understand why there's such push back on this rule, yet when they changed the groove rules everyone seemed to go along with it.  Like the groove rule, you have a few years to make the transition.  In the meantime, anchor away, if you like.

If it doesn't provide you with any advantage, as you all seem to claim, then switch to an unanchored stroke and continue to enjoy the game.

Joe Paradiso

Its also why the USGA & R&A; had to stop the limit of the length of driver shafts to 48"  , because I remember Black Rocks Killer Bee was getting ridiculously long . Gary Player was competing in the seniors with something like a 54" driver to stay competitive , I also remember some LPGA girls were using the 50" long drivers too , and that was a smaller headed Ti driver . AND they were reaching out there almost 300 yards with a balata ball .

Now look ,Pro's dont need a long shaft with these big headed drivers to hit those 300+ bombs ! . Think what they would be hitting with a 460CC head with a 54" shaft and these new balls if they didnt put a stop to the length ?

I think the anchoring rule is a bit late IMO ,  its why its such a  big controversy now .

Companies will continue to push the envelope of the rules , but some slip through and pass the rules , but then when it starts to hurt the integrity of the game , they need to put a stop to it .

I also remember the groove ruling , PIng used a different way to interpret the groove measuring rule and was able to get more grooves in the face of an iron , as most were still making V grooves . That was a mess for sure , but everyone got over it , same as this anchoring ruling will .

The faster they put it in play the faster the anger will dissipate .  Its like picking a scab for the next 4 years , and having to listen to the commentators harping on it , it will just continue to bleed !

Originally Posted by SprayTech

Its also why the USGA & R&A; had to stop the limit of the length of driver shafts to 48"  , because I remember Black Rocks Killer Bee was getting ridiculously long . Gary Player was competing in the seniors with something like a 54" driver to stay competitive , I also remember some LPGA girls were using the 50" long drivers too , and that was a smaller headed Ti driver . AND they were reaching out there almost 300 yards with a balata ball .

Now look ,Pro's dont need a long shaft with these big headed drivers to hit those 300+ bombs ! . Think what they would be hitting with a 460CC head with a 54" shaft and these new balls if they didnt put a stop to the length ?

I think the anchoring rule is a bit late IMO ,  its why its such a  big controversy now .

Companies will continue to push the envelope of the rules , but some slip through and pass the rules , but then when it starts to hurt the integrity of the game , they need to put a stop to it .

I also remember the groove ruling , PIng used a different way to interpret the groove measuring rule and was able to get more grooves in the face of an iron , as most were still making V grooves . That was a mess for sure , but everyone got over it , same as this anchoring ruling will .

The faster they put it in play the faster the anger will dissipate .  Its like picking a scab for the next 4 years , and having to listen to the commentators harping on it , it will just continue to bleed !

And like what happened at Sherwood this weekend to Keegan Bradley, unless players make a timely transition they will continue to face the stupidity of idiots in the gallery calling them cheaters. Bradley in particular has said that he won't be changing anytime soon.

Will Ernie, Keegan and Webb have asterisks next to their names? Of course not, at least not in a literal sense. But....

Bill M

And like what happened at Sherwood this weekend to Keegan Bradley, unless players make a timely transition they will continue to face the stupidity of idiots in the gallery calling them cheaters. Bradley in particular has said that he won't be changing anytime soon. Will Ernie, Keegan and Webb have asterisks next to their names? Of course not, at least not in a literal sense. But....

They shouldnt be bullied and should anchor away until 12/31/15. Mine will be anchored until that date. It's perfectly legal - there is no reason to stop now. At this point it is a *proposed* rule and nothing more.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

They shouldnt be bullied and should anchor away ...

Agree.

.... anchor away until 12/31/15. Mine will be anchored until that date.

Disagree.  If I was an anchored putter user, I would make the transition slowly over the course of the next couple of years ... not abruptly on 12/31/15.  That would just guarantee that I'm gonna stink in 2016.

• Upvote 1

I think they will have to try slowly transition in the coming years I imagine the crowds will only get worse as time progresses and in the bigger tournaments can you guys imagine how its going to be with a long putter in contention at one of the majors its all were ever gonna here about on air

If i was an anchor putter, i would make the switch now, its going to take at least a year to get near as effecient with a new putting method.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If i was an anchor putter, i would make the switch now, its going to take at least a year to get near as effecient with a new putting method.

Then you give up a year either way - why give up something that works now for something that may not work? Live for today - we may not be here tomorrow.

Follow me on twitter

• Administrator
Originally Posted by saevel25

Well, it depends. If you have an exempt status through to 2014, I could see trying to use 2013 to start using the regular putter. If you're worried about keeping your card for 2014 in 2013, though...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree, I'd stick with the anchor if I used one until I had worked out my non-anchor stroke or I was forced to switch.  Did you learn to putt using an anchored stroke or did you switch?  It might make an interesting thread if you documented your experiences going from anchored to non.

Then you give up a year either way - why give up something that works now for something that may not work?

Live for today - we may not be here tomorrow.

Joe Paradiso

Then you give up a year either way - why give up something that works now for something that may not work?

Live for today - we may not be here tomorrow.

That is also true.  Somewhere in this thread, probably 250 or more posts ago, the topic came up and Iacas had what I thought was the best idea.  Something along the lines of:

Get a short putter (or whatever you choose to be your method of conforming) and occasionally tinker with it now, then practice more and more with it, start using it occasionally in competition next year, then progressively more and more until by the end of 2015 you are exclusively conforming.

I agree, I'd stick with the anchor if I used one until I had worked out my non-anchor stroke or I was forced to switch.  Did you learn to putt using an anchored stroke or did you switch?  It might make an interesting thread if you documented your experiences going from anchored to non.

I just recently switched to be different - when I am on, I love it. But overall, at this point it has added 6 putts to my game.

Follow me on twitter

Originally Posted by saevel25

If I were making putts & making money, no way I would switch until I had to. Maybe start experimenting soon on the practice green, but I don't imagine those who are presently doing well anchoring aren't gonna switch until either the rules say they have to, or if the putts stop dropping.

Why - to avoid being heckled? pfffft.

I think it depends on when a player should decide to make the change. If you're Ernie, Vijay, or Freddie Couples, you should stick with it until the bitter end. All three of those guys are in the late stages of their careers, have had decades of experience with the short putter, and thus have little reason to change before they have to.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

Note: This thread is 2528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!