IGNORED

Should I practice with a "players blade"?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

Those are fairly easy to hit. I'd consider them game improvement blades. You're probably looking for something from the 1960s and preferably with reverse camber, like a MacGregor or Hogan.

Wha??? That's a game improvement blade? What'cha smoking?

They sure are purdy though, and I can't wait for them to go discontinued.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

My impression of the  712-MB is that it's one of the easiest to hit blades I've ever used (on par with the MP-33). Compared to other (especially older) blades it's essentially a game improvement blade. Some older Mizunos would (TP-9 rings a bell - could have that wrong) are like players blades . . . compared to modern blades. The FG62 is easy to hit but feels light, like a Cleveland or much older blade.

PS. My original comment was in jest directed at the thread starter as if anyone actually used the term "players blade" in order to diferentiate between blades. I pictured something from the 1940s with a leather grip. Then when he posted a link to the 712s I realized that even within the genre of "blades" there's a wide variety of ease of use.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I was reading "Solid Contact" by Jim Hardy and after reading a passage remarking the differences of old clubs and the newer clubs ball flight. Basically stating the obvious that the newer clubs were more forgiving. I thought maybe I should use an old blade type iron that is unforgiving and gives me instant feedback on where I hit on the face, face angle as well as club path to practice on the range with. This would also groove a consist "correct" swing and hopefully decrease mishits. I could easily get fit a 3 iron, 6 iron and 9 iron to my specs. Any opinions or others try this?

Not a good idea.........

Practice with your "game day" set.........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Why practice different clubs than the ones you play? Why don't you get one of those Tour Striker or Medicus irons instead?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Why don't you get one of those Tour Striker or Medicus irons instead?

Actually, on second thought, do this!

I considered this but I am not sure how the tourstriker reacts to off center club face shots and I don't have a problem with hitting down on the ball. My tempo is off at times where the medicus could help but I refuse to do business with that company.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by colin007

the tour striker is one of the best training aids out there.  dont get the pro model unless you can really hit the ball.

Define?

There is very little margin for error. You really have to have a forward leading shaft and hit the center of the face. I got the pro thinking i could hit it, but i should have gone with the regular and worked up to the pro.

Colin P.

Along the lines of what others are saying with regard to a practice club... I still stand behind what I said earlier in the thread... You should absolutely be practicing with the clubs you intend to game.  Now with that being said, if you are looking to alter some of your swing mechanics and try some different stroke patterns... Having something like the Tour Striker, or maybe the Little Club would work?  I've never tried either, but the concept makes sense.

Here is the Little Club.

http://tlogolf.com/

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I considered this but I am not sure how the tourstriker reacts to off center club face shots and I don't have a problem with hitting down on the ball. My tempo is off at times where the medicus could help but I refuse to do business with that company.

It typically reacts by shooting it across the front of the range line a la "Tin Cup" style!

With that face being so small, the margin for error is very small.  It's easy to see what could happen if you miss this small little face:

Pro model X7 iron:

Regular Pro model 7 iron:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Pro model X7 iron:

X7 is rather small, some precision needed there.

That's awesome, I didn't know they made an X7 model. Am I alone in thinking how much fun it would be to shank an indeterminable number of balls with that club while trying to learn to pure it?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Those things look really intimidating. I'm getting one.

I was think so too, cept they won't bend the regular pro model according to their website.

That's awesome, I didn't know they made an X7 model. Am I alone in thinking how much fun it would be to shank an indeterminable number of balls with that club while trying to learn to pure it?

Lol...i find that the lonely end of the driving range is best for me...and safer for everyone else....

Colin P.

I have 2010 Nike VR blades that I use at the range quite a bit, and recently started using on the course. The feel and feedback is amazing, but the sweet spot is tiny, making it a little less consistent than my Ci11's. But if you are a low capper, I say go for it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Great blades. I demo'd them for 18 about 3 weeks ago.

There is no such thing as a 'game improvement blade'.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Note: This thread is 4175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!