IGNORED

I'm in the mood for clubs...and need advice.

Th3R00st3r
Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey, It's been a few since I was on here. Spouse was laid off, so golf took a back burner for a bit. I still practiced as much as I could though. Now she is back, so it's on.

In the next few weeks, I will be trying out clubs to replace my current Nike Slingshot 4D clubs. I got them online at Dallas Golf because they were new and inexpensive at the time. The current clubs are 4-PW with graphite shafts. I have played off and on roughly 1 a year for 20 yrs. Over the past, almost 2 years I have become serious and these clubs have taken me down from a hcp of 34 (or whatever the max is for someone generating a new hcp) to my current 19.5.

A few of my lower hcp buddies are telling me that the Slingshots are/were a good club for me to start with, but now that I am starting to creep into the mid teens, I may have gotten as far as I can with these clubs, especially with the graphite shafts.

My budget it $500 and down.

Here is what I will be trying out in that price range. i would appreciate any feedback if anyone has experience with the clubs listed.
I plan of getting fitted when I buy them.

1. TAYLORMADE
    Burner 2.0 Rescue 3H, 4H, 5-PW Combination Iron Set with Steel Shafts
  2. TAYLORMADE
    RocketBallz 5-PW, AW, SW Iron Set with Steel Shafts
  3. CALLAWAY
    Diablo Edge 4-PW, GW Iron Set with Graphite Shafts

Any feed back would be great!

I would go to your local store and try out different clubs until you find one you like, then...as much as I feel like a douche for saying this, go online and I'm sure you could find a great deal on slightly used clubs or hell even brand new clubs.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Why does that make you a douche? If you can find a deal take it! I would suggest, over all other things: 1) get fitted 2) look for something that looks good to you when you stand over the club. That's the biggest thing for me, does it look good? I don't really think there's a vast difference between clubs within a range, meaning almost all clubs in the Game Improvement sector perform equally well. So go with what looks good and inspires confidence.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mizuno jpx800 are discounted and selling for $499 now online everywhere - look no further

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by inthehole

Mizuno jpx800 are discounted and selling for $499 now online everywhere - look no further

Mizuno JPX 800 4-GW Iron Set with Steel Shafts $499

You are correct. I will have to consider those as well.

Originally Posted by colin007

Why does that make you a douche? If you can find a deal take it!

I would suggest, over all other things:

1) get fitted

2) look for something that looks good to you when you stand over the club. That's the biggest thing for me, does it look good? I don't really think there's a vast difference between clubs within a range, meaning almost all clubs in the Game Improvement sector perform equally well. So go with what looks good and inspires confidence.

Well, that's why I don't want to go online. I want to get this set fitted. Most places will do the fitting and subtract the fitting fee off the clubs of you buy them.

Those were just the clubs in the budget range I had. I will ad the Mizuno's referenced below as well.

Originally Posted by robrey85

I would go to your local store and try out different clubs until you find one you like, then...as much as I feel like a douche for saying this, go online and I'm sure you could find a great deal on slightly used clubs or hell even brand new clubs.

Douche! Jk.

Since I am getting them fitted, I will probably buy them from the store since they will usually eat the fitting fee if you buy the clubs from them.

From your list I would personally go for number 3. I use a set of graphite Callaway's myself.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Originally Posted by Derrick Parker

From your list I would personally go for number 3. I use a set of graphite Callaway's myself.

I agree the JPX 800 are good clubs and $499 is a great price.  I play with some steel shafted Callaways (X22) but if I was in the market I'd get the Mizuno's.

Butch

you can use ping's online fitting tool if you want an idea of how you would be fitted, and their measurements apply to any manufacturer of clubs.  it's not a true fitting, but i hate to tell you, MOST places you go don't have great fitters.  golf galaxy, golfsmith, pga super store, etc.  all those guys are a crapshoot.  some may be good, most probably will be looking at cheat sheets (aka the webfit stuff you can find on ping's website) and not necessarily fitting YOU, but fitting your size instead.

i got fitted by a ping fitter of the year and he fitted me with exactly the same specs as what the ping website did.  now, i don't know if he cheated or what, but i think fitting can really be a hoax if you naively believe all fitters are created equal.  and remember you can buy at places like tgw online without having to pay taxes most likely, so even if you go into a store and get a credit on the "fitting" (if that's what we want to call it), the tax liability negates the credit.

back on track, if you do use ping's webfit (takes 2 minutes) and the results are all standard, it's so easy for you to find used clubs!  i am super tall so i have very upright clubs with a 1" extension and an oversized grip--it's impossible to find any clubs that fit right on the used market.  still, i get the allure of buying your own brand new, so if you're intent on buying new, golf digest's hotlist suggests a few GI irons in your price range:

1. callaway razr x, although they come in at $600

2. cobra amp $500

3. ping g20 (i20s are better, out of your budget though)

i hit all of those before i got the i20s, and i prefered the razr x, and actually i liked the tour version because the clubfaces were a bit smaller.  hell, you could even go back a year to the 2011 hotlist and find some still in store for even less such as the cobra s3, or again on the used market.  they would probably perform similarly to any of the latest models.  have a look here:

http://hotlist.golfdigest.com/

Quote:

Well, that's why I don't want to go online. I want to get this set fitted...

If you're below 20 HDCP, your swing has definitely stabilized. Now is the time to get a detailed fitting.

A good club fitter can help you figure out your clubhead and shaft combo specs for re-doing your set. Also, you don't have to buy everything at once. You could start off with irons, and then fill in the rest as you have $$ come free.

A conscientious fitter could scan his shop's trade-in clubs, looking for good-quality used items which fit your "recipe."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I picked up the Burner 2.0's  I went to the biggest Roger Dunn in Santa Ana (Costa Mesa).

I tested out the Cleveland CG's, The Nike VR's, RocketBallz, 2.0's (similar to the RBZ's), and the Mizuno JPX.

After hitting the above clubs, I decided on the 2.0's for feel, look, and the consistent grouping I was getting from the launch monitor.

I have been to the range twice with them and will be taking them out for the first time tomorrow to play.

I did not need adjustments according to the pro on staff. I will hit them and if I feel there could be some adjustments, then I will get a second opinion.

Thanks!

Build your own and save yourself some serious cash.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Ping G15s with steel shafts @ Golfsmith $440. They are not the latest model but are really nice clubs (I play them). Give 'em a try you may like them. Price includes getting fitted, Golfsmith is an authorized dealer, obviously.

I played the Ping G15's for a year and could not get used to shovelling the ball. These clubs are so ugly you need serious eye-protection to be able to play them.

I would go for the TM rocketbladez.

• 4 months later...

Get fitted for the right shaft. as for club heads it's personal but check out

TM R11

Mizuno JPX

Cobra s3

Wilson D100

Titleist AP1 or AP2 maybe

I'm personally not a fan off Ping and callaway

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!