IGNORED

With bike to the golf course

bjoern2796
Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I am 14 years old and I want to practice golf very much on the golf course. But the next golf course is

8.2 miles on a cyclist-friendly path away. My golfbag is in a locker at the golf course. So I don't have to carry my golfbag. But I would need 45 minutes until I will arrive. My parents aren't playing golf and they brought me to the golf course with a car until now. But they can't bring me to the course every time i want to. So the only option is to ride a bike to the course. Should I do that ? I want to go there every day.

8.2 miles is an easy distance.  You will be nice an warmed up when you get to the course.   I used to commute 12 miles each way by bike.  Try it out and let us know how it goes.

Please wear a helmet!  I know they don't look cool, but your brain is WAY more important than being cool.  I used to race bicycles and have hit the deck many times, even on bike paths.  It happens when you least expect it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was 14 I used to ride my bike to the golf course.  It was only 2 miles away but I had to ride along a busy highway - carrying my clubs on my back!  I did that a lot one summer - until my Mom caught me when she happened to be driving down that road at the same time I was headed home from golf.  That was pretty much the end of me riding my bike to the golf course.

8 miles down a bike path with no clubs - I say sure - why not?

No brainer- I'm 40 years old and ride my bike to the course all the time to practice- A great warm up and fun as well! If your bag is already there then its a double no brainer. Come on- I can't even believe this takes consideration. 8.2 miles should take about 20 minutes if you hustle.

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

I used to be in the best shape of my life between the ages of 12-17 , rode my 10 speed 8 miles every day in the summer to the swimming pool , swim for 5 hours , then rode home !

Man what I would give to be in that shape again at 52 !  .............  And when I didnt feel like riding to the pool I shot the rapids in an inner tube as the Rogue River ( Grants Pass , Ore . ) was my back yard !

Ride! Wear a helmet. Attach a blinky - flashing red light in case it gets dark. Keep the water bottle filled. Get a good lock.

I sometimes ride to the range in NYC. Europe is so much bike friendlier than the US. As a cyclist in the US, bicycles get no love compared to Europe.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I tested it today. The course is 13.2 kilometers ( 8.2 miles ) away. But i didn't need 20 minutes like granitegolf said. I needed 40 minutes with a relaxed tempo. I rode a  FOCUS mountainbike and it is so much easier to ride a mountainbike than a normal bike. But 20 minutes. That's pretty fast.

I ride 12 miles to work and back all the time. Longer in the mornings for exercise and enjoyment. 8.2mi is a very doable ride to get to the golf course. 40 min is not bad, but you could probably get there a bit faster if you wanted. Not sure what the topology is, obviously if you have some big hills on the way that could slow you down.

As a kid I rode a bike everywhere. I rode miles to fish, shop and play sports with friends. By the time I got my drivers license I was so sick of riding my bike I never touched one again but it got the job done. Do it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Wear the helmet!!! My son didn't and was hit by a car, in a coma for three days; not good. 8 miles is nothing, I'm 61 and ride up to ~25 miles on the weekend; yes I wear a helmet.

Its great to hear that you are 14 and playing golf, keep it up, it provides more benefits that you realize. You'll meet great people who can help you throughout your life. If you go into business you'll be able to network on the course. I play in the company golf league and I get to meet and network with a lot of people I work with. Its a great sport.

I used to walk 2+ miles slightly uphill to the course most days after school when I was about your age...got lucky and found a regular who could give me a ride home, but I thought the brisk walk with my backpack was decent exercise.  Playing regularly should definitely benefit your game.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by bjoern2796

I tested it today. The course is 13.2 kilometers ( 8.2 miles ) away. But i didn't need 20 minutes like granitegolf said. I needed 40 minutes with a relaxed tempo. I rode a  FOCUS mountainbike and it is so much easier to ride a mountainbike than a normal bike. But 20 minutes. That's pretty fast.

40 min is pretty slow unless you are going up some big hills. No a mountain bike is much harder to ride fast on a paved surface than a good street bike. The big tires add lots of rolling Resistance.  Now I am proud of you for doing this.  Unlike most of us who are older here your generation is more used to sitting on the couch with a game.  So yes get out there and do it. I will seem very easy after a couple of weeks.

Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!