IGNORED

TOUR PRO's play fades with irons

bjoern2796
Note: This thread is 3968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey,

I just watched the DP WORLD TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP in DUBAI.

Like in every tournament the TOUR PRO's hit almost every time a fade to the green, with wedges,irons and with woods.

It's an advantage because the ball will stop on the green quicker and you've got better control.

So we should play fades into the greens too ?

I will play fades into the greens in the future. My tee shots will be shaped like they are required too.

What do you think about it ? Would you play fades into the greens also ?

A few hit it both directions depending on the hole position but, there are alot that hit their normal draw pattern on 98% of every shot they hit.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Some pros hit fades. Some hit draws.

And sometimes the announcers flat out get things wrong and call a draw a fade or vice versa. I've been standing beside some of them when they say that. The viewer at home can't tell the difference because a ball against a sky doesn't appear to be curving at all.

And a pro's fade OR draw curves about two yards. They're not swooping around the sky. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

OK, out of the top 10 players in the world:

McIlroy: Draw

Donald: Draw

Woods: Has played a draw, now seems to be hitting a lot of fades

Westwood: Fade

Scott: Draw

Oostie: Draw

Rose: Fade

Dufner: Fade

Simpson: Draw

Snedeker: Fade

I made an attempt to find each player's shape, if I couldn't find a definitive source I went by left/right tendency on the PGA site. You can all nitpick that player X hits Y shape, I don't care as this is just a quick point. Looks like 4.5/10 are faders while 5.5/10 hit a draw. Tiger is split because he's played great with both in his career. No indication that it actually makes a difference as far as OWGR. Both can work, as long as the player can generate the trajectory to get the ball high.

I think players don't work the ball much. With the exception of a few players, most will stick to a comfortable shape unless they feel they need to hit a different shot. And as was said, they mostly hit minor shapes of a couple yards either way. They're shaping it in a way that means they'll hit a green if they draw/fade, over draw/fade, or push/pull it straight. Aiming at the center of the green, their shot cone is tight enough to hit an area smaller than the whole green in most cases.

As for the fade stopping faster/draw being longer, it's a myth. It's not as if these players can't stop their ball on the green with a draw. You're talking 4 or 5 degrees of change in the spin axis, and people think it will affect the roll? It's almost all backspin, and any affect on roll is the result of contours on the ground. And many of the longest hitters like Mickelson and Bubba hit big fades, while Luke Donald is a relative short knocker who draws it. We also see both patterns relatively split in the GIR rankings, with Snedeker being the worst of the top 10 and a fader, though both shapes are relatively evenly distributed.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Yes I know that Rory and Luke play a draw as their natural shot shape. But almost all of the 10 players will fade a ball from 120 yards. Rory aligns his feet like a shot that is going 6 yards or so left of the flag. But his Clubface points to the target. And he plays a fade !!! Yes his natural shot shape is a draw but he plays a fade with the wedges and most irons.

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

I made an attempt to find each player's shape, if I couldn't find a definitive source I went by left/right tendency on the PGA site. You can all nitpick that player X hits Y shape, I don't care as this is just a quick point. Looks like 4.5/10 are faders while 5.5/10 hit a draw. Tiger is split because he's played great with both in his career. No indication that it actually makes a difference as far as OWGR. Both can work, as long as the player can generate the trajectory to get the ball high.

I think players don't work the ball much. With the exception of a few players, most will stick to a comfortable shape unless they feel they need to hit a different shot. And as was said, they mostly hit minor shapes of a couple yards either way. They're shaping it in a way that means they'll hit a green if they draw/fade, over draw/fade, or push/pull it straight. Aiming at the center of the green, their shot cone is tight enough to hit an area smaller than the whole green in most cases.

As for the fade stopping faster/draw being longer, it's a myth. It's not as if these players can't stop their ball on the green with a draw. You're talking 4 or 5 degrees of change in the spin axis, and people think it will affect the roll? It's almost all backspin, and any affect on roll is the result of contours on the ground. And many of the longest hitters like Mickelson and Bubba hit big fades, while Luke Donald is a relative short knocker who draws it. We also see both patterns relatively split in the GIR rankings, with Snedeker being the worst of the top 10 and a fader, though both shapes are relatively evenly distributed.

Sorry, don't want to get into a fight over this but Donald is a renowned fader as his stock shot and I'm pretty sure Dufner hits a draw.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

• Administrator
Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop

Sorry, don't want to get into a fight over this but Donald is a renowned fader as his stock shot and I'm pretty sure Dufner hits a draw.

Dufner fades it. Luke tends to draw the ball more.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

I actually though Westwood drew it but I could be wrong.  Saw him hit mostly draws on the range at the US Open.  Like Erik said most have pretty tight curves.

Originally Posted by iacas

Dufner fades it. Luke tends to draw the ball more.

Agree with Dufner fading it, face aiming just left of target at impact, medium trajectory.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yes I know that Rory and Luke play a draw as their natural shot shape. But almost all of the 10 players will fade a ball from 120 yards. Rory aligns his feet like a shot that is going 6 yards or so left of the flag. But his Clubface points to the target. And he plays a fade !!! Yes his natural shot shape is a draw but he plays a fade with the wedges and most irons.

I would think that most all players (save for maybe bubba) hit the ball, for all intents and purposes, STRAIGHT from 120.

Rory is probably hitting a push shot into that green, than a fade from 120. Its very very hard to curve the ball with a wedge. Rory has a very high degree of inside to out swing path, to the point he was getting stuck last year if he doesn't keep the clubhead ahead of his hands. I doubt he would be fading the ball.

most players will play there stock shot, i think more people play a draw. To say all pros or majority play a fade with irons is probably false. I would like to see some source data on that through out the year on majority of iron shots played.

if you look at shot tracker, rory hits majority of his irons with a draw.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

if you look at shot tracker, rory hits majority of his irons with a draw.

Agree, also because Rory's path can be a little too far out to the right, he tends to hit it slightly heel center on the club face to tighten the draws and prevent over draws.  That pull hook he hit on the 10th tee at Augusta in 2011, very good chance that was off the toe.  Most, especially those darn commentators, will say he came over the top, which is wrong.

I think good golfers in general, low handicap players to pros, golfers that tend to have a flat left wrist at impact, will draw the ball.  The great faders, Nicklaus, Trevino, Couples just pre-set their path to the left at set-up.

Rory's driver numbers from 2010

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

I actually though Westwood drew it but I could be wrong.  Saw him hit mostly draws on the range at the US Open.  Like Erik said most have pretty tight curves.

What do you mean by "tight curves"? I thought Erik meant "slight curves".

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

I think good golfers in general, low handicap players to pros, golfers that tend to have a flat left wrist at impact, will draw the ball.  The great faders, Nicklaus, Trevino, Couples just pre-set their path to the left at set-up.

Does this mean that Nicklaus/Trevino/Couples do/did not have flat left wrists?

Trevino was NOT a fader of the ball....the perception that he had an open stance, which he did NOT have (formed by wannabe commentators who dribble BS and love the sound of their own voices).

pay attention around the 1:30 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU-YJIbu0wg&feature;=relmfu

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Originally Posted by luu5

What do you mean by "tight curves"? I thought Erik meant "slight curves".

Same thing.

Originally Posted by luu5

Does this mean that Nicklaus/Trevino/Couples do/did not have flat left wrists?

I don't understand how what he said could be taken that way. They had flat left wrists. They simply oriented the path left to hit a fade.

Originally Posted by notsohard

Trevino was NOT a fader of the ball....the perception that he had an open stance, which he did NOT have (formed by wannabe commentators who dribble BS and love the sound of their own voices).

Trevino hit a push-fade. The ball fell to the right. His path was well to the right of his body lines but because his body lines were so far left his path was a degree or so left of his face. As with most PGA Tour players, it faded two yards or so, but it faded. Almost no pros hit straight shots because they're always curving away from the target.

Originally Posted by luu5

Tight=slight? My English sure needs brushing.

Tight in the sense that it stays close (tight) to the target line, slight in the sense that it has just a little bit (slight) movement.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 3968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!