IGNORED

Which golf balls do you use?

Note: This thread is 3461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

billy, how do you like the gamer tour?  I have played the gamer V2 for the last year because I refuse to freak out over losing a ball in the woods/rough.

I am wanted to get a ball with a little more greenside spin, and I figured that a gamer with a urethane cover (the gamer tour) might do the trick without breaking the bank?

durability?  any noticeable difference in distance from the V2?

Nike Covert 2.0 driver with Kuro Kage

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

Nike VRS Forged irons 5i-GW

Callaway Forged Wedge 56deg

Callaway X-Forged Wedge 60deg

Odyssey White Hot XG #9 putter
2015 Sun Mountain Tour Series cart bag

billy, how do you like the gamer tour?  I have played the gamer V2 for the last year because I refuse to freak out over losing a ball in the woods/rough.

I am wanted to get a ball with a little more greenside spin, and I figured that a gamer with a urethane cover (the gamer tour) might do the trick without breaking the bank?

durability?  any noticeable difference in distance from the V2?

I have only used them a couple rounds so far, but they are long and straight with decent action on the green. I don't think they will give you the same action as the ProV's and other tope balls, but at a 13hc I don't look for a whole lot of spin anyway. Just the same, my shots in have plenty of stop to them, just no backspin. The TF Gamer is the new name for the TF Gamer V2, they are the same ball. The tour, like you said, is a urethane covered ball that will provide action for those who can put that backspin on a golf ball. At the price they are, how can you beat them? When I hit one in the woods I don't fret too much, I'll give it a quick look and if I can't find it, oh well, let's move on. Usually I find so many other lost balls in the wood/water that I am swamped with extras, and alot of those I find are ProV's, BS 330's, etc. I don't get too excited over the high end balls I find, I like to stick with one ball type and use that only, and that is my Gamer and Gamer Tour.

BTW, the two rounds I used the Gamer I shot an 83(hard course) and a 79 on another course.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it really throws my playing buddies off when I shank one, then they try to help me find the ball...only for me to give up 30sec later like "hey that's why I play with inexpensive balls"  :)

and i'm a lot like you...I find a ton of ProVs and other quality, tour-caliber balls while searching for my $1 Gamer

I have a big myrtle beach golf outing coming up.  I think I'm going to grab a few dozen of the Gamer Tours and spend the rest of my money on lessons/range time!

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

it really throws my playing buddies off when I shank one, then they try to help me find the ball...only for me to give up 30sec later like "hey that's why I play with inexpensive balls"  :)

and i'm a lot like you...I find a ton of ProVs and other quality, tour-caliber balls while searching for my $1 Gamer

I have a big myrtle beach golf outing coming up.  I think I'm going to grab a few dozen of the Gamer Tours and spend the rest of my money on lessons/range time!

Good idea. I wonder how many golfers who play the ProV1 would know the difference if you slipped a sleeve of GT's in place of their ProV's? Switched logos and such. I think the better players might know something is up, but a player of my caliber might not catch it. I rarely use the ProV's I find, maybe on par 3's, but I like sticking with one ball type to gain consistancy. There's a used golf ball store (bulk) close by and I got some Gamer V2's for $7/doz. Have a great outing in MB!

I buy used AAAA Pro V1's at a discounted rate. These are balls that have been put in play but are in fantastic shape, or they may be a new ball that has a company/course logo stamped on it that can't be sold as a "new" Pro V.

There are balls out there that you could switch with my Pro V's and I likely wouldn't catch it, but it would have to be a pretty good ball that has similar spin characteristics around the green.

Good idea. I wonder how many golfers who play the ProV1 would know the difference if you slipped a sleeve of GT's in place of their ProV's? Switched logos and such. I think the better players might know something is up, but a player of my caliber might not catch it. I rarely use the ProV's I find, maybe on par 3's, but I like sticking with one ball type to gain consistancy. There's a used golf ball store (bulk) close by and I got some Gamer V2's for $7/doz. Have a great outing in MB!

This is very true,  at least off the driver most wouldn't notice and if the shot was not bladed probably not the irons either, by the time chipping and putting come into play I would say a good portion will be able to tell. Fact is unless a player is in the + index range they are just wasting their money on brand new prov's at $45.00 dozen. If they really want to play one then the refurbished are just fine because they are simply not able to get all the benefits out of the ball. I just don't understand why some people think they need a ball like that when they can't even break 80 when there are balls specifically designed for their ability at half price. I like playing Srixon Zstars but will not pay more than $30.00 a dozen for them and have noticed the difference between the XV and SL versions, the XV is a more harder ball and I don't like it as much as the SL but I accidently bought 2 dozen XV's a couple months ago but still have 3 sleeves remaining.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I just don't understand why some people think they need a ball like that when they can't even break 80 when there are balls specifically designed for their ability at half price.

And I couldn't agree more flopster.  I am a gadget/equipment junkie...and if we were talking football or baseball (sports where I received scholarship offers and considered myself a true "player" of the game), then I would have all of the top notch equipment available.  But that's because I could get the most out of it.

As a "hack" golfer (personal best of 104), i'm not spending 50 bucks on a dozen balls.  Hell, I can luck up and crank a drive 275 on the first tee, then spray 4 consecutive drives into the woods on the second tee!

My hope is that I find a ball that is reasonably priced and that performs reasonably well (for my current skill level).  I can all but assure you that once I develop some consistency in my game, I will spring for the expensive balls.  But the idea of tricking off $20 in balls per 9 holes makes my stomach hurt

Nike Covert Tour 3 wood

Nike Covert 5 wood

Nike Covert 4 hybrid

New to the forum, 17-18 HCP, and I found the Gamer Tour to great for my game.  For me, it was longer than the ProV series off the tee with much less side spin, but plenty of spin to hold the green on approach shots.  It performed great from right off the green and made me a believer in urethene covers.  For $25 list price, and for about the $30 the Rocketballz Urethene were great balls for 2013.

I've just switched to nxt extreme lake and refurbished balls.

going to try to stick to it. I used to play wilson dx2 mostly, a very low compression ball

of the tee I think I'm close to the previous distance. the green side control is ok and yet I can feel the ball being compressed a bit.

Along with my Gamers, I bought a dozen TopFlite Freak s for $7/doz just to mess around with. This is how they advertise it:

"It only cares about one thing – nasty distance. With extreme Dimple In Dimple Aerodynamics

and high-quality core and cover materials, the Freak produced amazing speed, reduces spin,

and earns bragging rights after you freakin’ out drive your buddies all freakin’ round."

lol

And I couldn't agree more flopster.  I am a gadget/equipment junkie...and if we were talking football or baseball (sports where I received scholarship offers and considered myself a true "player" of the game), then I would have all of the top notch equipment available.  But that's because I could get the most out of it.

As a "hack" golfer (personal best of 104), i'm not spending 50 bucks on a dozen balls.  Hell, I can luck up and crank a drive 275 on the first tee, then spray 4 consecutive drives into the woods on the second tee!

My hope is that I find a ball that is reasonably priced and that performs reasonably well (for my current skill level).  I can all but assure you that once I develop some consistency in my game, I will spring for the expensive balls.  But the idea of tricking off $20 in balls per 9 holes makes my stomach hurt

Also depends on the course. If greens are small and rounded, I use a urethane ball. If the course has narrow fairways with trees and water close to the fairway, a ball that hits straighter off the tee is better. If the course has small greens and narrow fairways...well just play a different course.

• 4 weeks later...

I really have to agree with you. Of course, anyone can play any ball and play well but when push comes to shove the Pro V1 is the gold standard. There simply is no other ball that performs like it. Overpriced? abso---friggin----lutely.

I play at about an 8 using Callaway HX Hot...not a lot to work with around the green but overall they suit me. I have also played and loved the I(s) and the Chrome balls...all excellent...

Bridgestone makes a fine series....getting back to Titleist....I find the NXT series overrated and certainly, like anything Titleist...over priced.

This upcoming season will be the first full season I'll play with ProV1's and 1x's. Was gifted two boxes of them so I'm putting them in play. I usually use the e6 or dt solo and have no complaints whatsoever there.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

for me its the nike mojo. my sing speed with driver is in the low end of he 90's and i can stop it on the green with a long iron. as far a short game control i hit a lot bump and runs and low run out chips so i can tell you about stopping power from short shots.

My Gamers are:

Maxfli U2 & U4.......they are straight, long and have Urethane covers usally at $10 to $20/doz when on sale @ Dick's only

Bridgestone e6......straight and pretty long, but roll on the greens @ $23/doz

Bridgestone B330RX/B330RXS .....straight long and stop on the greens, but $45/doz

Note: This thread is 3461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!