IGNORED

Titleist 913D2 for Beginners?

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all

Titleist claims that the newly released 913 D2 Driver (460cc) is more forgiving because the sweet spot area on the club-face is larger.

http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/drivers/913D2.aspx

To me, as a beginner, this sounds like the right long-term investment.

I want to buy a driver I can use for years; something with a large club-face and this year's model.

At the moment I use my dad's old Taylormade Burner driver with a too flexible shaft; my swing speed is very high and his driver and I don't go well together, I feel.

However...

Many people tell me that as a beginner I should not buy Titleist, as it apparently is known to be for low handicapers.

Imagine that money is not an issue; however would the D913 D2, despite the large club face, still need me to have superb accuracy - which means as a beginner I'd fail using it?

My birthday is coming up and I'm not sure which driver to buy.

I'd really appreciate your opinion and suggestions.

Thanks!

Nave

Hi all Titleist claims that the newly released 913 D2 Driver (460cc) is more forgiving because the sweet spot area on the club-face is larger. [URL=http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/drivers/913D2.aspx]http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/drivers/913D2.aspx[/URL] To me, as a beginner, this sounds like the right long-term investment. I want to buy a driver I can use for years; something with a large club-face and this year's model. At the moment I use my dad's old Taylormade Burner driver with a too flexible shaft; my swing speed is very high and his driver and I don't go well together, I feel. However... Many people tell me that as a beginner I should not buy Titleist, as it apparently is known to be for low handicapers. Imagine that money is not an issue; however would the D913 D2, despite the large club face, still need me to have superb accuracy - which means as a beginner I'd fail using it? My birthday is coming up and I'm not sure which driver to buy. I'd really appreciate your opinion and suggestions. Thanks! Nave

And people told me not to get the 907 D2 when it came out because I was too new - I didnt listen and enjoyed playing with it anyway. You cant go wrong with an adjustable - just make sure you get the right shaft in it.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the 910D2 and do think it is fine for a beginner.  Being able to adjust the loft and lie really helps as your swing evolves.  I do recommend getting fitted for a good shaft.  The stock Diamana  shafts are a bit softer than you would expect.  The regular Kai'li is really for a swing speed of ~85 max.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Mis hits definently will be amplified compared to a more foregiving driver like the G20.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Not sure about the G20, but the Titleist 910D2 was about the same as the G15.  I have had both and like the D2 better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Even the tour driver's, most of them are 440cc even 460cc, maybe a slightly less deeper face for more maneuverability, but honestly, today's drivers, anyone can hit any driver out there.

I played a ping G10 and switched to a 910D2. The G10 was less maneuverable, it's a pretty much meat and potatoes type of driver, you know what you get. The 910D2, if i wanted to i could curve the ball a bit more, i've actually curved it quite a lot. But that's not to say its not meant for higher handicappers as well. Of course some driver's are a slightly better for certain handicaps than others. I would say Titleist plays towards the professionals to the mid handicappers, but that's not it can't be used successfully by any handicap.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Go for it. Titleist is a solid name, and the value of your club should last a while.

But I would also suggest that if you are looking for a new driver, that you should try out as many as you can at a golf shop.

The right shaft flex is important of course, but I would also pick a driver head according to how consistently I could hit it well, and there are more things than a larger sweetspot that can help this.

Things like how the head looks at address, the feel of the weight of the club in your swing, the sound of the head hitting the ball.

Those things can affect your swing too.

But If I was buying a club for a family member, and money was no issue, I'd also buy a large 460cc head from a reputable name.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

Why not?

I hit the 913D2 in a 12 degree head and Bassara shaft - it was a very controllable, yet long club.

Don't know your age, but you might consider a 10.5 so you can crank it up to 12 degrees, and then take it back down as your game improves.

Same with the shaft - go for something that is as flexible and light as you can control -- you can change it later as your swing gets stronger.

What you don't want to do is get something that is low lofted, which produces sidespin, and a shaft that is too strong which may produce low, inconsistent shots and make you swing out of your shoes.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Thanks, I'm in my mid thirties and do have strong arm and chest power. It translated into a high swing speed with zero accuracy led by muscle and not natural swing/gravity :) I'm taking lessons now to learn a more natural swing without too much arm muscle use. So I'd still be good with a stiff shaft?

There's alot more to shaft than just stiffness.

Overall a golf club can be a stiff flex, but can vary greatly between brands and models. A great guide is on Titleist website, check out there 910D2 page and look at there custom guide. Gives a great graph of golf shafts and launch versus spin. really gives you a good idea as to were a golf shaft lies.

General rule of thumb

Heavier the shaft in the same model type, stiffer it will be. So a heavy regular flex will be similar to a lighter stiff flex

Some stiff flexes can have higher launch angles because there kick point is different, same goes for spin rate. but generally, the stiffer the flex, the lower the launch and lower the spin.

Meaning, if you have a fast swing speed, your probably looking at a stiffer shaft, one it tightens dispersion due to unwanted shaft flexion. Two, it maximizes energy transfer at the right moment. Basically, to stiff a shaft and you might never transfer all the energy, and not enough stiffness and you might transfer it to late, or transfer it to early.

My driver swing speed is around 110-120, and i play the Titleist A'hina 72 stiff flex shaft. I love it, launches the ball on a great trajectory, not to high, not to low. But i know for my swing, i want to stay in those bottom left quadrants, because the higher the swing speed, the more spin you generate. Spin for a driver can really kill distance by causing it to stay in the air to long, or get caught by the wind. Spin helps out slower swing speeds, because there velocity doesn't generate much carry, so higher spin helps them gain more carry.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 year later...
Last month, finally after 6 months of looking at drivers, forums, reviews- went all in for the 913d2. As many have mentioned here, getting the proper shaft fit is key. I was fitted with an Aldila tour shaft by the local pgatour shop pro. walking out of the shop with a much lighter wallet, I was wondering about my decision. I have to say probably the best golf investment in a while. After a few practice range outings, I am hitting it off the tee on average 260+ yards. About 20 yards more than my old Taylormade. The trajectory and carry distance are so much better. Also the feel when you get that sweet spot hit.... You just know right off impact. I am a 12 handicap and hoping to get lower. Best of luck to you. I am confident you will be happy.

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!